Hilux 3 litre. new turbo resluts

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 15:58
ThreadID: 12632 Views:2551 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hilux owners may be interested in this one. I have just had a turbo fitted on my 99 duel cab SR5 3 litre while on holidays and am pretty happy with the results.

Did 2 weeks away with wife, 2 kids, rear of hi roof canopy full to the top, trailer full of gear (heavy) and it towed with all of the gear and she drove better than when empty (not towing) before turbo fitted. Milage was the same as before and I was a little dissappointed as I was told that I would get 100 kms extra out of the tank. Anyway while away I also towed a 14 foot boat full of gear and it went great with that on too.

The extra power of the turbo made such a great differenceand I could even overtake Nissan Patrol turbos up hills too (first time ever).

When returning from away I emptied the car took off the trailer and filled up with fuel to see if it was any better and of course when empty it goes a ship load better than when loaded up. The torque is like the 6 cylinder 1HZ cruiser but seems to pull better when overtaking and up hills. No longer slows down on hills and actually increases speed while going up.

Just ran the tank empty this morning and re filled and the guy at the turbo place was correct, the milage was better. I got 150 kms more out of the tank than before. That is 1065 kms from a 115 litre tank. Previously getting 900 per tank. About 9.2 kms per litre. Not sure how this compares with th efactory turbo but I'm happy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 16:27

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 16:27
You are doing better than my factory 3.0 TD.
AnswerID: 57329

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 16:29

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 16:29
Mate sounds just like my surfer with a factory 3.0TD. Except for the fact that you get good millege! :-(

The ol' 95' Surf doesn't get anywhere near that kind of economy when we are loaded up without a trailer! Mind you we are getting about 20-30km more out of 50L since the safari snorkel went on. But power, power, power, he he, kewl.

Hey, just out of interest were you using you air-con? I use mine most of the time and I have a feeling it might be causing some pretty drastic extra fuel usage, as other 3.0TD surfs report better fuel economy than me, however those who do seem to be over east, I guess it's generally cooler over there. My tyres are always at about 35-40psi and we don't blow an unsual amount of black smoke for a 10yr old tojo diesel.
AnswerID: 57330

Follow Up By: floyd - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 17:43

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 17:43
On the trip I used the AC every day but since being home it is a little cool to run it at the moment. Had 2 days of snow here on the weekend and the temp has only been above 10 1 day this week so I guess that the air con will have a rest between now and Christmas.

BTW the turbo made a really big difference in the snow. I did a run up and over Stirling on Saturday morning in about 20 cm's of untracked snow and powered through it like never B4. The standard 3 litre is a bit slow when in snow. This is a major imprivement. Actually suffered a lot of wheelspin which is a bit unusual in the Hilux.
FollowupID: 319072

Reply By: Paul's lot - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:47

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:47
That equates to around 10.8 litres per 100km's which i would say is pretty well on the mark. My 2.8 with the after market turbo unloaded conservative driving is around 9.2 l/100km's and loaded don't give a stuff driving goes to around
10.8l/100km's. If it ever went over these figures it is usually because the air filter needs washing.
AnswerID: 57349

Reply By: Bundy - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:14

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:14
Floyd

What breed of turbo did you have fitted and what type of $?

We are tossing up between adding a turbo to our 95 hilux or buying a brand new second hand 3.0LTD.

Thanks for sharing your info!

Bundy
AnswerID: 57357

Follow Up By: floyd - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 11:40

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 11:40
I wend the MTQ Turbo in Laverton (Melbourne) which have just changed their name from DTS. They are the only national operation with factories in all of the major capitals. Cost was $3100.00 fitted and garunteed 12 months 20,000 kms. Was a very competitive price, 1 day fit and not bad service. Had a problem with the exhaust which required a weld while away and a small oil leak that just required a tightening of a bolt but apart from that a pretty neat job.

I priced turbos and non turbos when buying and the difference in price was about 5,000 at the time. I figured that I would save the money and go non turbo and just see how it runs. It was great until I had to tow or load right up. Overtaking was also pretty dangerous and frustrating when loaded as she was a bit slow. A standard one without all of the aftermarket accessories may be better than mine but I have got 700 kgs of extra barwork, canopies etc etc added and it made it pretty heavy so eventually I figured that the turbo would be worth putting on (even if only to stop my road rage at being the slowes toyota on the road).

Just one bit of advice on it. The extra heat build up in the engine bay around the brake and clutch booster is unbeleavable. It was so bad that I couldnt touch either brake booster or clutch master cylinder as they were so hot. This was even though MTQ fitted a really well made stainless steel heat shield between the Turbo and these bits. I was worried about the brake fluid boiling and causing brake fade or failure so I bought a metre of 150 degrees C flexi pipe (73mm diameter) and ran it from the bull bar up beside the steering box, under the battery tray and beside the turbo so as it vents cold air onto the heatshield and brake and clutch boosters. The result is that this area is now cold when driving and the heat is taken away by the airflow. Cost me $26.00 total.

I am really pleased with the features of teh SR5 and with the turbo it is now a dream to drive as opposed to a slug.

Hope that this helps
FollowupID: 319181

Sponsored Links