What to do.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:25
ThreadID: 12643 Views:1964 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in a bit of a conundrum at the moment with tyre/rims.
Option 1 is to fit tyres of heavier side wall and tread rating (greater than 2ply side walls and 4ply tread) to existing standard Landcruiser wide rims or Option 2, get a set of split rims with light truck tyres that I fit prior to going on a trip with potential tyre damage occuring. What are your opinions.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:56
Des,
It was good to catch up with you on the weekend.....
I'll stick with my recommendation to get rid of the Grand Treks and get a set of "proper" tyres for your existing rims. I'm running Cooper ST (mine are 10 ply, but they also come in 8 ply). However, any of the BF Goodrich/Goodyear MTR type genuine off-road (but compromise) tyres would suit your needs IMHO.
Cheers mate
AnswerID: 57402

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:01

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:01
I have a set of Cooper ST's on my car at the moment and they are great. Also have a set of Grandtreks on alloy wheels sitting in the garage that I tend to put on over winter when I will not be 4wding for a while. The Coopers are a little noisier but otherwise they are not that much different to the Grandtreks in drivability on the roads. Puncture wise they are great. Never had a flat but got a nail in one and had a slow leak - like me old man.
Andrew
FollowupID: 319138

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:04

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 23:04
What's wrong with slow leaks, I get them all the time. That's why I'm looking at alternatives. LOL
FollowupID: 319140

Reply By: defender 110 - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 22:56
my thoughts are firstly, where are you heading and secondly if i was
purchasing 4(6) i would go for good old super grippers by dunlop, for the 10 plies

I have had all terains by BFG for 10 years but the last set have had more punctures than the other 2 sets (on the gibber). i asume there has been a change to the mix.
to replace my 31 x 10 r 15 `s i will probably go to the new bridgestones not fully sure but i think 6 ply. you will need to check

Cheers Peter
every day you havent had fun is one youve missed out on
AnswerID: 57403

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 00:15

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 00:15
Des,
We went on a club trip recently sand driving when it came to the really soft stuff we had a cruiser with splits on it, the majority of us had to lower our pressure to around the eight to ten PSI mark, (you can imagine how soft it was), the guys with the splits had to be dragged through because it's not advisable to lower them lower than 15 psi for fear of spinning the rim in the tyre. So I suppose it depends on what sort of driving you intend to do. From what I've heard when driving on slightly reduced pressures on gravel these split rim type tyres tend to run hotter than conventional tyres. Heats not good. Don't know myself I've never used them. My opinions only
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 57409

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 08:18

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 08:18
GMorn Des Chuck the splits idea and forget the grantreks and put a good set of tyres on the cruiser wheels, (and this will help grip the groung so the 100 doesnt run over big rocks !!!!!!!! LOL)
AnswerID: 57423

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:46

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 09:46
we run 12 plys for the work vehicles and you would really have to have a need for them to justify them (crap tread, get flat spots, lowere speed rating etc) however if you are going into severe country eg v rocky or cross country then they are the only way to go as they are much more puncturen resistant(they still do puncture) and changing splitties is easier
AnswerID: 57442

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 18:40

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 18:40
Des,

I reckon it will depend on ratio of tar: dirt/gibbers/sand etc.that you drive.

Most of us drive 75 % (plus) of our Km's on the tar. So go the tubeless rim, not split rims, for that reason. Then source top tyres (plenty of free advice about that, isn't there?!!).

I have now gone to 10 ply LT's with the straight walls. Toyo Opats. Seems to have lowered the tyre damage/punctures/rooted tyres syndrome.
My last trip was > 2500 km on dirt:
(Sandover H'way/Camooweal/Urandangie/Boulia/Birdsville/Marree)
- plenty of sticks & rocks to challenge the tyres. All up over 3t with fuel & water
(& booze). Dropped to 26 psi & 75-90kph - no worries re flatties. First time for yonks I havent had to fork out for a new tyre when I got home.Seems ST Coopers are very similar to the Opats - maybe more tread depth.

Some who have splits have ditched 'em as they are a nightmare to keep balanced. These people usually buy Sunraysias & leave their worries behind.

Summary:
keep the widies & get good tyres. Run 'em at the right pressures.

BTW - have fun!

Cheers
AnswerID: 57514

Sponsored Links