Tyer Puncture Repair Equipment

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1265 Views:2520 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I am about to embark on a trip to the Kimberleys in the next few weeks which will encompass travelling on the Gibb River Road. Can anyone advise me on suitable equipment to take to make a running repairs for tyre punctures & blow outs. For the record I have already equiped myself with 2 spare tyres & tubes, a tyre plug kit & an ARB air pump. Are patches etc worth the hassell. MICK NEED NOT REPLY TO MY QUESTION !!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
CamYou didn't say if you are using split rims or not. If not it would be areally good idea to have aN R&R Beadbreaker or something similar to help get the tyre off the rim when they need changing.
makes the job a thousand times easier - Peter
AnswerID: 4049

Follow Up By: Cam - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Sorry Peter I neglected to add the fact that I'am not using split rims & do have a beadbreaker & levers. Thanks for replying.
FollowupID: 1724

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Cam, in my opinion if the hole is too big for plugging it is a good idea to patch the tyre before you put a tube in as the rough edges of the hole or the steel wire that may have been pushed through can abrade the tube and there you go again.Don't forget some talcum powder to rub over the patch to neutralize the adhesive around the patch. Mal.
AnswerID: 4051

Reply By: MikeS - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
Cam

I have found that a rubber mallet is handy on occasion, but not essential. Otherwise the kit you have mentioned should be OK so long as you knowhow to use it (practice at home).

As with other recreational activities lubrication can make the job a lot easier. Perhaps I had better be more specific. When moving the bead off or back onto the rim, you can avoid damaging the bead by using soap or dishwashing liquid to lubricate the rubber. I have seen people tear the crap out of the bead through lack of lubrication and applying too much force as a consequence. I don't even need to mention to make sure of course that the soap isn't washed off in the next water crossing. Presumably you will already have soap in your other gear.

Have fun and hope you never need this stuff.

MikeS (not Mick)
AnswerID: 4067

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, Jun 12, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 12, 2002 at 00:00
Part of our survival kit

Tyre Repair Kit

„« air pump
„« bead breaker
„« chalk
„« detergent
„« emery
„« glue