Minimum Camping Kit

Submitted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:02
ThreadID: 12659 Views:3933 Replies:18 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Okay, like all of you, over the years I have ammassed (sp) a heap of camping gear, sort of can't help myself sometimes.......

I go away on my own often, for say 2 - 3 days at a time. I don't take the Delica, I take my little Honda HRV, it get's me where I need to go.

Now, I try to take the bare minimum of gear....... swag, fridge, Cobb....... etc......

What do some of you guys take for solo trips away, like the bare minimum, but comfortable?

I think I have my kit all sussed out, but I always seem to take things " just in case".......

Cheers

Ian BEE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:17

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:17
having done rallys for 10 odd yrs on bikes, I can do with less than below QUITE easy..

2 days?

fior sleepin
1 man tent
sleepin bag
torch and versalite
jacket for pillow

for eatin buy all at last possible stop.
esky, ice blocks,
billy and pan
few beers, or bottle vodka, no need for much else.
tins of baked beans and getti
eggs maybe bacon if I'm keen in esky but buy it at the last stop b4 camp
bread
milk
coffee satchels from McD's
sugar satchels from McD's
either gas cyl with the thing screws on top for billy and a grate to stick on a stone surrond fire, or 3 burner and cyl
matches
cup
bog roll

More days would take fridge. and diff food
AnswerID: 57529

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 19:50

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 19:50
Truckster , thanks for the 2 links to the best 4x4s in the world , boy would I love to turn up at a club meeting with one of those babys !!
FollowupID: 319433

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:56

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 20:56
I would hardly call a Cobb minimum equipment , I class recovery and safty gear as esentual and what room is left is for comfort , re: my comment on the Cobb what about a campfire in winter and a small single gas burner for summer , I wounder some times why we want to getaway from it all and then take it all with us ,YES I am guilty of the same thing but am slowly reducing the STUFF that I seem to carry ,I look at the early explorers and all they had the carried ,this is not an attack on you just my own ideas .Smile and have a nice day .
AnswerID: 57539

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:04

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:04
Peter, The early explorers carried a hell of a lot more gear than we do today. Ludwig Leichhardt carried 30 tons of gear on his first journey in 1845. They used it all up inm the 13 months that the expedition took.
FollowupID: 319301

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:08

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:08
I am not so much asking about recovery gear, as I usually soft road on my own. If Tracy comes along, then we take the diesel and all the gear, but on my own, I stick to roads & the like.

The reason I take the cobb is because I like oven roast vegie's ( I am a vegetarian ), I set it all up, let it cook for around 45 minutes whilst I am doing oter things.

Yes, I am trying to take less & less, without being too spartan.

I like the previous guys answer, I want to be like him when I grow up!!!!

Cheers

Ian BEE
FollowupID: 319302

Follow Up By: Member - Allan Mac (VIC) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:19

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:19
I agree with you Willem, Most of the overlanders had massive camel/pack horse trains and found that they were out of supplies after they hit the first obstacles, but you got to admire them they perservered and opened it up for us to enjoy. Read your other threads with interest and will be in touch later on after we set up for the "Boys Own" next year
FollowupID: 319411

Reply By: navaraman - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:02

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:02
Swag and tarp. Single gas ring and gas bottle (in fire ban season). Bottle of red wine. Water, fruit, cereal, milk, pot noodles, tea/coffee (for when the wine runs out)
AnswerID: 57543

Follow Up By: fat bastard - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 02:27

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 02:27
this to me, is an example of pure minimalist genius. Why the hell do want to recreate a kitchen at home in the bush. however I do have a weakness for a lounge chair around a fire to relax and keep my back warm.
FollowupID: 319557

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:06

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 21:06
I am lucky as my vehicle is permanently packed for travel. So it is tucker and fuel and clothes etc. Click on my pic below to see my full list.

Cheers
AnswerID: 57544

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:33

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:33
Willem , ensign Dale found the Avon Valley in WA , he was on horse back with one tracker, Some of the greatest Gold finds in the Kalgoorlie area were by lone travelers one horse back or walking
FollowupID: 319337

Reply By: ianmc - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:02

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:02
Interesting to have a look in other peoples pantries Willem but dont think Ian would get all that in his HRV, but still good guide for others venturing further afield.

I recently bought a one burner gas stove for $24.95 @ KMart and some packs of 4 canister butane @ $6,94 per pack, cheaper when they have a sale & twice the price elsewhere.

Works very well indeed & so easy with piezo ignition.
As I have a ute & can sleep in the back for short trips where I am not carrying fishing gear & lots of other stuff I can travel light if I try. Might even leave the frig home but like plenty fresh water & some extra fuel just in case.
AnswerID: 57552

Reply By: sean - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:42

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:42
Ian

I too try to minimise and also have lots of gear.

One real win for me was the hiking stoves that are fuelled from the disposable gas bottles. THey are light and bring water to the boil very quickly. Much easier than the primus for those short and not so short trips.

Sean

AnswerID: 57555

Reply By: Mike-TS - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:46

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:46
Boys, boys, boys...you seem to have missed the point here. What's the point in going away if we can't stuff the wagon full of our toys?!

GPS, Fridges, Recovery Gear, Digital Cameras, Stoves, Tables, Expensive Tents (I have 5!), Sleeping bags (I have about 8), Kids (I have kids?), Generator, fishing gear, surf ski, surf board, boogie board, shortwave Grundig radio, handheld UHF radios, electric and gas lamps, battery pack, flourescent light, solar panel, etc etc etc...

Now that's camping...I love camping...
AnswerID: 57556

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:38

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:38
Mike-TS . Boy!! how big is your trailer or do you drive a 4wd truck ? maybe a mac or kenworth LOL
FollowupID: 319340

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 00:08

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 00:08
IS THIS THE ONE YOU MEAN PETER?
FollowupID: 319343

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 00:19

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 00:19
I stand corrected..

THIS IS T H E #1 WORLDS CAMPER!

you couldnt beat it.
FollowupID: 319345

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 01:36

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 01:36
Mike-TS I am in awe!

You must have been doing this for a while to be travelling with the bare bones like that?

No laptop, satellite phone, gas shower system, coffee maker, mountain bikes, R/C car, DVD player, porta potty, telescope, binoculars, dinghy, gas kettle, EPIRB etc????? Wow, that's roughing it!

Pete
FollowupID: 319347

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:36

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:36
Good on ya Mike-TS, classic, that just about sums us up if you take some things and add others!! If the heavy duty suspension ain't sagin I've forgot somthing! LOL.
FollowupID: 319397

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:54

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 22:54
Doing most of my trips solo without the missus or a dog to snuggle up to I carry a hot water bottle in chilly season as I value a good nights sleep. For two or three nights away the missus freezes a few wholesome meals and they keep well in the esky for a few days. Change of clothes, never know when you'll fall in the mud or river. Spares, electronic gizmos and I like to whittle away the evening hours with a couple of beers. Jeez, Gotta be more than that the utes always chocker.
AnswerID: 57558

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 00:54

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 00:54
I am glad I'm not the only one who takes a change of clothes just incase I fall in the mud or a river....otherwise I come home in pretty well what I wore when I left.
I take a mix of what you all listed, but I can do it fairly simple when on my own...(especialy if wife kicks me out of the house), but like someone else said why buy it if you aren't going to take it...but the one thing I always take is a can of the old rice cream.
Swag, baked beans heating in open tin on fire, a beer or two...rice cream....spotting sattelites and shooting stars...dead tired by 8pm.... now thats camping....gees i'm getting old
FollowupID: 319457

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 00:56

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 00:56
I forgot to add if I take the family then I simply add around 1000 kilos in extra gear!
FollowupID: 319458

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 01:11

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 01:11
Gajm, I always have the laptop with me loaded with a copy of Orbitron Satellite prediction program. It predicts exactly where and when any particular sat will be in view. With that program you don't only get to see the sat but know its name also. I've been using various sat programs for many years to predict the orbits of ham radio sats

http://www.stoff.pl/index.php
FollowupID: 319459

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:07

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:07
Well lets see ,

Recovery gear
2 snack straps
2 winch extention straps
2 tree protectors
2 snach blocks
drag chain
Tyre levers
tyre repair kit
Hi lift
cable bag
compressor

camping gear

sleeping bags
pillows
air matress
extra blankets
Tent
Table with chairs
Fridge
kitchen box (cups cutlery ect)

Food , well im a Australian Greek , so lets not go there , (would take hrs)

and not to forget DVD movies for watching around the camp fire lol
AnswerID: 57561

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:13

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:13
>2 snack straps

Licorice straps or some other variety :)

FollowupID: 319331

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:29

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 23:29
lol , would be nice , dual purpose recovery equipment lol
FollowupID: 319335

Follow Up By: paul2.8d - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 17:19

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 17:19
Ever cooked Mousaka out at camp? Cheers Paul.....
FollowupID: 319415

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 19:48

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 19:48
Dont have a camp oven big enough , but have made almost everything else lol
FollowupID: 319432

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 00:32

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 00:32
Just the normal kit
beer
rum, for medicinal purposes only
sausages
milk
more rum
cornflakes
more beer
matches
rum
steak
rum
bread
beer
butter
etc
rum
etc
beer
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 57570

Follow Up By: Member - jtb - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 02:42

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 02:42
water @ epirb :)
FollowupID: 319350

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:40

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:40
John if I ever make it to Queensland, I'm going camping with you!! LOL!
FollowupID: 319398

Reply By: Ian Bee - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 07:43

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 07:43
Okay.........

Looking at what some of you guys take, I don,t feel so bad now.

Mike takes only a swag & a gas ring......... I am so already ever wishing I could do that!!

It would seem that I am not alone in my frolics of fancy at the Camping shops, only to find my latest aquisition is a piece of bleep ( see, I beat the moderator censorship nazi!!! ), sorry, no offence meant.....

Out of all the things I have, and I have many....... the most useful to me personally are......

Swag, Cobb, LED head lamp, Coleman single burner dual feul stove, and of course...... 3 tonnes of camera gear!

I am going to see if I can pare my kit down some more. Hey, there's nothing better than rocking up at a bush site, and you can see the newbies erecting all thier new shiny stuff. The newbies wife looks over to you as you purposely nonchalantly roll out your dusty swag....... thinking that she is thinking....."..oh...... I just love these REAL outback types....... I wonder if I could fit into that sawg as well......". Hey....... it's a guy thing, okay!

I think I had better go to work, before I make a mess.......

Cheers

Ian BEE
Wannabe True Outback Hero
AnswerID: 57579

Reply By: paul - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 09:18

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 09:18
This is my Friday take list cut and pasted from my camping folder:

Stuff to take Friday:

To do Thursday night - Vacuum wagon, beer, pack upbleep

Washin up bucket
Fishin gear
Tent
Wood
Butane stoves
12v light
Dual fuel lantern - check for fuel
Stand and ropes for tarps
Solar panels, battery charger and petrol (variable depending on weather forecast)
All batteries (if playing night football)
Pre-made batter
CD player and cd’s
Electronic stuff - inverters, connectors, the battery charger
Deflation valves
Dunny paper
books and magazines
hats and sunnies
pillow and sheets
air mattress
BBQ grill
Fridges
Buckets
Water
chair

Already in take-away box or wagon ?:
cooking gear - plates, cup, tongs, paper towels, gloves, stubby cooler, saucepan
Shovel, hand winch, snatch strap, tool kit.

From Freezer - pilchards, techice, some real ice for drinks for the freezer compartment.

Bait – fresh mullet or, better,fresh bonito if they have it
AnswerID: 57587

Reply By: TonyT - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 09:19

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 09:19
What a great bunch of posts- sure, take it if you've got it, after all that's why u bought it- and why have I got 3 tents under the house- plus one on the roof of vehicle!- still, motorcycling can make u think about the gear (like Truckster) - I take sleeping/bivvy bag, water, Trangia, some food, brew gear, tyre kit, wetweather gear and credit card for my long-distance riding (and that's not often- ask the Boss) - rule is if it won't go in the 2 locked cases on the bike it doesn't go.
AnswerID: 57588

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:35

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:35
Trangias ROCK.. Remember Rob Milton pulling his out and cookin up Pasta, that was the first time i saw one, I owned one within 72hours of the rally!
FollowupID: 319388

Reply By: TonyT - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 09:19

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 09:19
What a great bunch of posts- sure, take it if you've got it, after all that's why u bought it- and why have I got 3 tents under the house- plus one on the roof of vehicle!- still, motorcycling can make u think about the gear (like Truckster) - I take sleeping/bivvy bag, water, Trangia, some food, brew gear, tyre kit, wetweather gear and credit card for my long-distance riding (and that's not often- ask the Boss) - rule is if it won't go in the 2 locked cases on the bike it doesn't go.
AnswerID: 57589

Reply By: Taize - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:39

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:39
If anyone thinks they've got too much gear then I would be happy to help them out :-)

We've only had a 4WD for 6mths and coming from a backpacking background we dont have a lot of this "fancy" stuff like fridges, showers, chairs etc

If we couldn't carry it in the backpack then it stayed at home!
AnswerID: 57622

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 17:01

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 17:01
Yeah back packing is OK if you are able to re-supply yourself regularly but if you go out in to the sticks for longer than a day you may need more gear. Frankly sitting around a camp fire on a log sounds brave but it isn't fun..............anyway most of the travellers on this forum are middle aged except for a few who may be younger :-) and they like some creatures comforts while out and about.

Cheers
FollowupID: 319414

Reply By: Eric M - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 12:46

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 12:46
Hi Ian,
I know how you feel about amassing camping equipment, what and how much you take. I do find though that the basics are the same. I always seem to take too much as each trip depending on duration thigs are slightly fifferent The old story that everything has it's place and to be in the right place all of the time is my problem, and trying to utilise the space that I have. What I am looking for is some info or ideas in relation to putting in some drawers etc.
I am on a limited budget so can't get those commercial drawers in. Is there anyone out there that may have some ideas using chipboard or some MPL.
Am currently driving a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder and need to put something in place and also incorporate my WACO fridge.
Apprecite anyones thoughts on this.
Happy 4wheeling,
EricM.
AnswerID: 57725

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:05

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 13:05
Eric,

Have you considered skipping the whole drawer thing and just using stackable plastic boxes with lids?

We travel extensively with three kids and have never felt the need for a fitted drawer system - they're certainly convenient but by no means a necessity... (Unlike a cargo barrier IMO)

Cheers,
Pete
FollowupID: 319476

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 15:25

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 15:25
I find the Rola Roofrack system with a basket is good for me, toss swag ( folded in 1/2 ) tent ( if needed ) & tarps in there.

In the little Honda I place my Waeco 35 on a back seat & strap in down tight. Other side of back seat are my clothes.

In the rear I carry 2 large grey "Space Cases ", which house all of my food & kitchen.

In the foot wells in front of the back seat I carry a Waeco Thumper in one well, & a 100 Ah Deep cycle in the other. Theese fast charge thru Anderson Plugs & relays fitted by my Auto Electrician.

On the front seat ( passenger ) I try not to carry anything. I tend to just dup a camera or something else that I am currently using on there.

In the front passenger footwell, I carry a Cobb, or Gas bottles & Coleman if it's summertime.

On the outside rear, I have fabricated 4 swing away 10 lite water containers.

That sort of covers it for me.

Cheers

Ian BEE
FollowupID: 319499

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 17:35

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 17:35
In what seems like a previous life ,camping consisted of an old green army "hutchy" and a sleeping bag ,matches and a tin of baked beans , credit card and toothbrush ,never strayed to far from a pub to need water,, fuel for bike and Qld sunshine,,
AnswerID: 57743

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:51

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:51
Ian, good to see you have started small mate. When you graduate, you will probably have 3.8 tonnes too and a four page typed inventory and placing of it in the truck. MSWord document if anyone would like to see it. With the drawer systems a lot is permanently packed ready to go. The tool kit is the best equipped on the farm and so I keep it away from anyone else

Ian I see you state you are a vegetarian, the only way to eat your roasted veggies is cooked in goose fat, so I hope you keep a few around.
AnswerID: 57988

Sponsored Links