unifilter again

Submitted: Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:17
ThreadID: 12673 Views:1549 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks for the replies on unifilter v paper.
Next question filter oil mineral based appears to affect the sensors on the efi motors but I remember back in my bike riding days (when I was young and stupid)
Now older and just stupid!! that there was a product called syn lube that made filter oil that was full synthetic. How would that go regarding the sensors?
Oil for thought.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:14

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 16:14
Mate i don't think min or synt will have any different effect on the airflow sensors ( happy to stand corrected ) . This is because the airflow sensors that are affected are the 'hot wire' type. They operate on the principle of a constant voltage being applied to one side of the wire, as the air flow passes over the wire it cools it down ( more air - more cooling ) and changes the resistance, and you have a differential voltage occuring across the wire. the computer uses this voltage difference to calculate the airflow mass into the engine.... So if you have a coating on the wire you change its reaction to the airflow, and get different readings...

Small air bleed ports in other components can usually be easilly cleaned as well.

That is just what i know about efi etc. , like i said happy to be corrected......
AnswerID: 57627

Reply By: Gerk - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 18:04

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 18:04
Just sent Unifilter an email to clarify about useing there filters on efi diesels
AnswerID: 57645

Reply By: Bryan - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 00:35

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 00:35
Gerk,
I have had paper, went to a Unifilter, and now I have a K&N filter in my GQ 4.2EFI patrol.
I found the Unifiler provided a huge increase in the ability to suck air thru the filter and stopped the air mix light coming on at around 3500rpm. The K&N filter leaves the Uni filter for dead again !! The accelaration has increased enourmously again over the Unifilter. we went away recently before easter,a nd passing road trains with the car full was impressively fast.
I cant say enough good things about the K&N filters, they leave the paper and foam oil filters for dead.. in my experiences anyway..
the K&N filter is 6-8 layers of cotton gauze sprayed with oil..
If you are going to change filters, spend the money on a K&N, you will never need to buy another filter, they come with a 1million mile warrenty...
Bryan..
AnswerID: 57700

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 13:15

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 13:15
I would not use K&N for dirt applications - road use only...there is a reason why unifilters are a bit more restrictive than K&N - they are doing a better job at stopping dust getting through...
FollowupID: 319726

Sponsored Links