GQ Heating problems...

Submitted: Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:20
ThreadID: 12674 Views:1867 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
A new take on the age old GQ Cooling problems.

Took a two week camping trip to the Snowy Mountains and had the change to do an interesting comparison. The only time I'd really flogged the truck for an extended period was on Stockton beach on a 35 odd degree day, with Air Con full blast. I was worried about how hot she'd go after all the scuttlebut, but the needle sat dead on 50% of the guage and didn't move all day.

On the trip I had another chance, or requirement, to flog her again. Climbing up the Alpine Way from Tom Groggin Camp site back to Dead horse Gap (Section from Kancoban to Thredbo) was all steep twisty 2/3 gear work flogging her nearly as hard. This time temp was 10 at most, and the needle sat rock steady in the same place.

Says to me the cooling system is managing the temperature perfectly, despite large ambient varaitions. So the real problem is that it runs too cold when it's not being worked, not that it overheats when it is. This could also explain why they're such a dirty engine, they're never up to temperature.

BTW, completly bog standarad cooling system, dirty and, as I discovered the other day, dented in some places radiator. Did have the coolant flushed and changed a while back.

Just my thoughts.
Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:02

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 14:02
as far as i knew it was the gu 4.2 td that could run a bit warm when pushed havnt heard of other nissans with this issue
AnswerID: 57618

Reply By: Flash - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 18:59

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 18:59
Mine (GQ TD42, original radiator, 13 years old!) used to run a bit warm when pushed hard.
New fan clutch.........
Now I can tow my caravan up the range to Toowoomba, or Cunningham's Gap etc. and the temp doesn't vary! (even with the aircon on)
If you have overheating issues with your TD42 check the fan is working- if it doesn't cut in when required it WILL run hot.
AnswerID: 57653

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 21:58

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 21:58
I have a 97 GQ TD42 and she absoultely hated towing the new CT, temp was right up the hot end, had to keep an eye on it most of the trip, so i'll be checking the fan and a few things other people on here have mentioned, hope it works
FollowupID: 319444

Follow Up By: Flash - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:26

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:26
PS. There is only one way to check the fan, no matter what you're told.
When the engine and radiator water are hot enough to need the fan, it should roar quite audibly at revs- if you don't hear it then it is probably not working. You can NOT check it with the engine stopped or cold- it's that simple.
Cheers
FollowupID: 319468

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 22:14

Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 22:14
Thanks Flash, so can I check it properly by putting the revs up and letting it sit in the driveway?....about how high should the temp be getting before the fan cuts in?...and lastly, did you do the new fan instalation yourself and what was the cost? any info would be handy
Glenn
FollowupID: 319535

Follow Up By: Flash - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:03

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:03
The fan is easy to remove etc, just remove the plastic cowl then four nuts on the water pump shaft hold the fan in place.
I doubt if you can check it with the vehicle stationary- but if it's getting hot and you can't hear the fan roaring at revs then it's not working.
FollowupID: 320243

Follow Up By: Flash - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:09

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:09
And..
I got my new clutch (ie: the centre piece which attaches to the plastic fan) from a friend at below cost because he had it as a spare and didn't need it any more. New, expect to pay perhaps $300+ or so I guess, but you could also try new silicone fluid (available from your nearest TOYOTA dealer) - I think you need a couple of tubes at approx $20 each- if you do a search on this site you'll find a lot more info)

Easy job to do yourself if you're even slightly mechanically inclined.
Cheers
FollowupID: 320244

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:15

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:15
Thanks Flash, I will get into it on the weekend. I think i'll try putting new fluid in as I sure I haven't heard any fan roaring when the car is hot.
FollowupID: 320245

Sponsored Links