Extra fuel filter

Submitted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:11
ThreadID: 12714 Views:1690 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just picking up on the thread about carrying spare fuel filters. Has anyone fitted an extra filter in their fuel line? What brands are recommended. Do they help to reduce contamination when dodgy fuel is used? I am particularly interested diesel. Some preliminary checking suggests it would cost about $150 to have a glass bowl filter fitted. Does this seem about right?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lindsay - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:34

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 12:34
Probably right about $150 would be reasonable, however if you have a series of fiters all the same micron you will block the first filter and the subsequent filters will last longer. I used to run two filters and the second one I would change at every second change of the primary filter. Remember that if you get crappy fuel your filter will still block up and starve your injectors.
You can purshase a C.A.V. / Lucas with a glass bowl , this will allow you to see if there is contaminants collecting in the bottom of the fuel filter. I know you can get adaptors to allow you to fit one of these fiters to the bottom of an existing fuel fitting so that you do not need to change the plumbing. In my opinion you would be stupid not to take spare filters as these C.A.V. (have been taken over by someone) are quite cheap. I buy them in packs of 10 and they cost me around the 8 bucks mark each, however i buy in bulk. Two enemies of a diesel dirty air and dirty fuel.
AnswerID: 57826

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:07

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 14:07
I'll second the fitting of a Lucas/CAV before the main fuel filter, much cheaper and easier to replace rather than the genuine filter. Ask around before fitting one though as some earlier smaller diesels were not able to handle the increased restriction to fuel flow. Most of the Toyota and Nissan 6's should be ok. Toyota actually fits an additional filter very similar in size to the CAV to 1HZ in 70 series commercials.
AnswerID: 57836

Reply By: Bryan - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 17:33

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 17:33
I'll third the Lucas CAV fuel filter. I have a efi patrol gq and I put one inplcace of my original inline unit. I have the unit with the glass bowl, leaves the original type for dead.. the last thing I want is to get crap or water into the efi system and block injectors..
when you install the CAV, make sure you check the flow direction as you want it to fill the glass bowl thru the middle pipe and then cume back up thru the filter elements. this way ensures any water and heavy elements drop to the bottom of the bowl before the filter elemets stop the fine crap... the directions that come with the unit show the fuel flow the other direction...

regards
bryan
AnswerID: 57860

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 17:49

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 17:49
Hi All,

How easy are these things to change when you are out on the track? I am not too mechanically inclined but am OK with tools and have done a bit of work inside computers. Once I have seen or done an operation I should be OK to do it again later.

This will be the first time I have had a diesel and I am keen to find out how to come to grips with those common mechanical things that can go wrong on trips such as filters and hoses. I went for the 1KZ-TE in the Prado as it seems a pretty reliable unit from all reports.

Cheers

Steven
AnswerID: 57863

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:12

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:12
Steven,
Mine (on 2000 GU 4.2 T/D) is a Denco adaptor which screws on to the bottom of the OE primer unit and does away with the Nissan filter. I find it easiest if I remove the 2 bolts that hold the whole unit to it's bracket, remove the 2 hoses and take the whole thing to the workbench so I can get at the bottom of it to dismantle.
It's a dead easy operation, but you will lose about half litre of fuel. Once you put the new filter on and re-assemble onto the bracket, fit only the fuel inlet hose at first; use the primer pump to fill the filter and bowl with diesel until it starts to come out of the outlet side, then whack the outlet hose back on and tighten everyting up.
I only use the one filter as such, but I do also use a product called a "DE-BUG" made by Morrisons. I reckon they've got a web site. This unit is about the same size as a typical filter but is filled with strong magnets. These kill off any algae etc before it gets to the filter.
I changed my CAV filter yesterday after about 15,000klm and it was still quite clean inside and could have stayed for another 10,000klm without any worries.
FollowupID: 319609

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:23

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:23
Thanks for that Roachie,

Hopefully the Prado will be similarly simple. It will be regularly serviced by my mechanic as it is a leased vehicle and this is included in the price I pay however I still want to know that I can do it myself (and carry the right parts!) so that I can get out of strife when the mechanic is 200-300kms down the road!

Is the algae in the fuel a common problem?

Cheers

Steven
FollowupID: 319611

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:59
Steven,
Not sure about how common the problem is.
Check out the extensive info on site:
www.morison.com.au
Algae forms in the "gap" between diesel and water (it's very difficult to totally eleminate water from a diesel's fuel tank). One way of keeping water to a minimum is to keep your fuel tank as full as practical, to eliminate the amount of free air which in turn leads to condensation. The downside of doing this is that your vehicle weigh will always be heavier than if you run around with minimum fuel, only filling up completely when you plan a longish trip.
FollowupID: 319622

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:50

Sunday, May 09, 2004 at 18:50
I would prefer the small racor 500fg series as it allows you to change the element without spilling fuel everywhere as it loads from the top. Elements are cheap too. These items are made by Parker .
AnswerID: 57877

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 11:49

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 11:49
Thanks all
AnswerID: 57962

Sponsored Links