Mudflaps

Submitted: Monday, May 10, 2004 at 12:08
ThreadID: 12745 Views:6008 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Eric posted about a Police blitz at Wombat and mentioned people being booked for no mudflaps. I'm curious about the mudflap issue as according to VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information 26 relating to Roadworthiness requirements;

"Mudflaps are not normally required on passenger car type vehicles. However, mudflaps must be in place on vehicles where they form part of the wheelguard system such as on some motor bikes, heavy vehicles and vehicles with a tray type body."

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I need in Vic?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 13:44

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 13:44
As far as i know you only have to conform to your states standards unless it's outright dangerous of cause like if something is going to fall off or apart. Please disreguard this comment if you are a resident of VIC.

Baz.
AnswerID: 57972

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:06

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:06
Not sure if it's "law" but my understanding is that if it is on as an OEM item it has to be maintained in working order. eg if you had one muflap and the otrher was missing you may be required to rectify it. On the otherhand if you completely removed both - no problem!
I wrote this and it sounds stupid!!!!
AnswerID: 57976

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 17:24

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 17:24
They must come down to 1/2 way from ground up, of the tire, eg the center of the axle.
AnswerID: 58008

Reply By: cj - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 20:05

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 20:05
I've also seen reference to 300mm from ground for 4wd on another forum but don't know where this has come from. I've put 33's on my Vitara and need to do something about the mudflaps but want to make sure it is right.
AnswerID: 58047

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 20:51

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 20:51
The cops must have a memo going around about mudflaps. LOL

My brother twice now has been pulled up by police in his lifted Holden V6 Hilux (3" springs & 2" body lift) with 33" mud tyre on 10" rims & the only comments he recived was about the lack of mudflaps.
AnswerID: 58064

Reply By: lindsay - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:17

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:17
ADR 15.2.4 Wheel guards may consist of either permanent body structure or part structure and other components, including mud flaps, provided the specified protection is retained during vehicle operation.

ADR 15.2.4 deals with axle groups as in trucks.

ADR 15.2.5 states that: Notwithstanding the requirements specified above (groups of axles) the wheel gaurd including a mud flap (if fitted) need not be less than 230mm from the ground for other than off- road vehicles, or 300mm in the case of vehicles designed for off- road operation.

ADR15.3.2 The wheels of a vehicle and the wheel of a side car must be fitted with wheel gaurds of width not less than the section width of the tyre. The wheel gaurds must be so designed as to protect other raod users, as far as practicable, against thrown up stones,mud, ice snow and water and to reduce for those users the dangers due to contact with the moving wheels.

ADR 15.3.3.1 The wheel gaurd provided for the rear wheel must extend not less than from a point vertically above the foremost part of the wheel rearward to a point not higher thanthe intersection of the arc of the wheel with a line through the centre of the wheel at 45 degrees to a horizontal plane through the centre of the wheel. The last bit I have left out as it refers to side cars.
AnswerID: 58072

Sponsored Links