Dingo Dell Camping Ground

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1275 Views:5416 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased a Pajero '92 GLS and I have been touring around local camping areas and I had a NSW Parks & Wildlife Service book on my shelf and I read in it about 'Dingo Dell Camping Ground', Kanangra-Boyd National Park. I would like to know more about 'Dingo Dell' Camping Ground with your help. There is a couple of questions that I would like to know if you have been there before but if you haven't then just ignore them...

1) Is it a fairly easy run to the campground by 4WD?
2) Is the area fairly large?
3) Does it have adequate facilities?
4) Does it get crowded during school holidays?
5) When is the site open?

Thankyou for your time and thankyou for reading my questions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00
Gday Prodius SVR. Dingo Dell is a popular campsite that in the grand scheme of things isn't really all that large. You could probably have 5 or 6 comfortable seperate sites in there, but on the other side of the track there is a fairly large open area that would be good for camping. It is situated next to a water course, though it isn't anything that you would swim in. For a dip you would probably head back a few Km's towards Kanangra for the Kowmung River. The facilities are basically an unlit long drop style toilet, that does the trick and little else. The long drop is located in the designated camping area though, but that isn't far from the more open areas. If you do make use of the long drop during the night you will need a torch to get there. During the holidays you will get a few people down there, but you will still have your own private space and it is still comfortable (unless someone has a generator going in the middle of the campsite which happened to us once! - generators are fine, just not late at night). The site is always openas far as I know, its just first in best dressed, like all sites I guess. The country dingo dell is situated in is reasonably steep in many sections, and there can be some deep ruts in some spots that you will need to be careful with. Don't worry though, the Pajero will do all of this fairly easily as long as its in low range 4WD, and you dont fall into the ruts (with care this is not a problem either). Not far from the camp site there area a few hills that you may like to test the Pajero on - just a bit of fun. The last time we were down there a Datsun 1200 ute came down into the area from the Yerranderie side with rally car tyres. It was irresponsible, but with a lot of abuse and wheelspin they did manage to get the thing back out the same way. 4WD does it easily. Just be wary of the weather though, it may be fine in the rain, but I wouldn't test it anyway. Regards Slunnie.
AnswerID: 4097

Reply By: Member - Tony - Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Prodius SVR,

Agree with all comments in first response. Would be very wary of tackling after rain, it can get quite slippery. Facilities are very basic. Area can be popular with trail bike riders (who probably brought the generator!).

We drove through on way to Yerranderie (see 'Trek Notes'). I thought Limeburners Flat was much nicer: more picturesque, quiter and larger, but has absolutely no facilities (if thats what you want).

Hopefully we'll see you on the trails some time. Have fun!

Tony
AnswerID: 4100

Reply By: Prodius SVR - Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for your help, guys; much appreciated. Maybe I will see you on the trails during the next school holidays. Cheers.
AnswerID: 4101

Sponsored Links