wa & nt touring/camping

Submitted: Monday, May 10, 2004 at 20:45
ThreadID: 12765 Views:2880 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I intend to go on a "long service leave/ mid life crisis" holiday - we intend departing from Adelaide , head north to Darwin via Uluru and then across to Broome and down the WA coast to Perth before returning across the plain to Adelaide - we have a dual cab 3l 4WD towing a Jayco Penguin 13 (not off road) - we are geared up for non-powered site camping for several days at a time - do any fellow campers have any "must see must do" suggestions? - We are also prepared to do some overnite tenting at 4WD only destinations (eg Cape Leveque - is this for example, worth seeing?) - we are touring July/August/September - and yes have already booked caravan site in Broome! - appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:57

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 21:57
Cape Leveque definitely worth seeing (says he who as yet has not been there) but you need to book prior to tackling the drive.
Not sure how much damage they sustained with Cyclone Fay but I know there was some and they may not have had time to rebuild. We've not been able to get in for July but it could only be due to school holidays etc.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 58081

Follow Up By: vjr - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:57

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:57
Thanks for the tip - Cheers!
FollowupID: 319936

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 22:12

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 22:12
You have to see as much as possible in the time available. No place is better than another. What is a 'must see' for some may be a 'don't see' for others. Go and find out for yourself as there are many varied opinions on travel destinations.

Enjoy.....

Cheers
AnswerID: 58083

Follow Up By: vjr - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:59

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:59
Yeah that's been pretty much our experience over the years as weell - good advice - ta
FollowupID: 319937

Reply By: Rosscoe - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:02

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:02
There are heaps of things but you may not want to take the trailer on some of the rough roads.

Two that come to mind on the main route would be the "Sounds of Silence" dinner at Uluru and from Broome if the budget allows, a flight in a sea plane over the Horizontal Falls.

Also if you can put the Kimberly on the trip, a flight to the Bungle Bungles and a helicopter ride as well.
El Questro on the Pentecost river is a great camping spot. I swear the Bara I cought there was a metre long (and gets bigger every time I talk about it). While at Elquestro - Ziems Springs, Chamberlain Gorge, and Explosion Gorge.
Dam it, too many things to do. I want to go again and again!
AnswerID: 58138

Follow Up By: vjr - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:02

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:02
Thanks Rosscoe - have noted your suggestions - do you have any more info on the Uluru dinner - is that the one with the astronomer explaining all the night sky? - also what are the camping facilities like there.....Yes we actually have not been to "the rock" !!! - pathetic is'nt it?

vjr
FollowupID: 319938

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 08:28

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 08:28
That's the one. Won't tell you much about it because that may lessen the experience. It would have to be on of the MUST do things for me. I think you can make a booking from any of the resort hotels or even before you go. You get picked up in a bus taken to the venue and driven home afterwards.
The camping facilities at Uluru resort are top notch - grassy sites in the middle of the desert! You have acces to a number of restaurants as well.
There are so many things to do and see out there! You'll enjoy it.
Not sure what sort of car you have but out of Alice I'd see if I could visit the Valley of the Palms on the Finke River (Day trip). Probably needs more than a soft-roader or normal sedan.
Also in that area, Kings Canyon - Top Camping facilities there also.
FollowupID: 319975

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:41

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 13:41
V.J.R.You should definately enjoy your trip at that time of year.I have been up and down that coast many times and will probably pass you on the way as I am heading North from Perth in mid July for approx. 3 months.If you are goig to Cape Leveque I would reccomend camping at Middle Lagoon which is just south of Cape Lev.You will find your own spots along the way but here are a few suggestions from Broome to Perth--Barne Hill, Port Smith, 80 mile beach,Cape Keraudren,Whim Creek Hotel(overnight stop),40 mile beach,Cape Range Nat. Park in Exmouth,Coral Bay,New Beach,Kalbarri.Take note a lot of these places are heavily booked in July & Aug.
Safe trip
Sunseeker
AnswerID: 58150

Follow Up By: vjr - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:09

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:09
Hi SUNSEEKER! - Thanks for your suggestions too! - the "heavily booked" scenario is obviously something we will have to live with - along with no doubt 1000's of others! We are very much looking forward to seeing this part of the country - and whatsmore - getting away from "the southern winter"! - have heard about "middle lagoon" from a neighbour. By the way what's the competition for "camp spots" like in National Parks etc?
FollowupID: 319939

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 17:01

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 17:01
as with sunseeker - anywhere on the coast will be either booked out or very crowded july august and sometimes into september. other than that have a ball - there are a couple of publications avail - free camping in the north / free camping in the south - not bad little books. if you have the time there are some reasonable places to get away from the turtles and grey nomads - ask some of the locals - we're not all that bad. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 58177

Follow Up By: vjr - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:14

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:14
Thanks Maverick - got the books - they look very helpful!

vjr
FollowupID: 319940

Reply By: SUNSEEKER - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:33

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:33
V.J.R. as far as competition for camp sites in national parks go its almost the same asccaravan parks as every one wants the best sites at the busiest times .A little advice from years of experience is try to get into a camp ground between 9a.m. and11a.m. as that is when people are booking out and you might be first booking in.
Also NEVER take we are fully booked for an answer as it so often happens that 10 mins. later if you ask if there are any cacellations --bingo you are in especially if you say you are staying for 3 days plus
good luck
Sunseeker
AnswerID: 58233

Reply By: Stuw - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 21:50

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 21:50
Hi vjr
I guess before providing a suggestion of places or must see/do's it would be good to know what you are interested in seeing or doing.

If you like to see aboriginal art, but without the crowds I can suggest Keep River NP. It was a place I hadn't heard of or about and just saw it on the map and it isn't far from the main road. I ended up camping there the night and enjoyed a pleasant sunset and sunrise scenic walk. During the day I saw some excellent rock artwork of two large ancestral beings and the legendary rainbow serpent/snake.

3 months is a good length of time and all I can say is treasure each day and enjoy the journey. Treasure doesn't mean doing as much as you can, take a day or two off to relax and take it all in, otherwise you will become "rocked out".

Enjoy!
Stuart
http://www.users.bigpond.com/wanderstu/travel/index.htm
AnswerID: 61890

Sponsored Links