Toyota Landcruiser 100 Water Coolant Level

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 17:30
ThreadID: 12779 Views:1955 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what the water coolant level should be on cold in the reservoir. I regularly check it and it seems to be getting lower. I originally filled it to the high mark on cold and it seems to be now an inch below the full mark on cold start after about 4 to 5 thounsand kms. The guy at toyota said that some will evaprate over time especially on long hot runs which i have recemtly done. Is the level suppose to remain at the same level on cold over time or is it normal for some to evaporate . I have talks to some mechanics who have pressure checked and looked over the motor and have found no leaks. Anyone able to enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hedonist - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 18:55

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 18:55
Hi Mark,

I have always assumed that the full mark indicates the maximum normal level when the engine is warm, and the low mark is the lower normal limit when the engine is cold. If you fill the reservoir to the 'full mark when cold, the reservoir may overflow when full, reducing the level over time, and if there is vapour in your cooling system extra fluid will be drawn in from the reservoir over time (each warm up / cooldown cycle) and it will then stabilise.

The evaporation theory sound a bit suss to me - I would be very surprised to see that much liquid evaporate unless the cap was left off.

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 58202

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 22:54

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 22:54
Let the level go and see if it keeps going down until the res is near empty. If it stops at a certain level then hedonist theory would be right
FollowupID: 319961

Follow Up By: ross - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:37

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:37
I agree with pesty and hedonist.
After the coolant had gone through a few expansion and contraction cycles it should find its own level and stabilise.
All things being ok it should only need 2-3 top ups per year.
I havent had much luck with pressure testing.The test only lasts for as long as they want to do it for,but your engine has pressure in it for hours.
You might want to try a new radiator cap for $10.
FollowupID: 320039

Sponsored Links