Microsoft Outllook-Out of Office Reply

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 18:20
ThreadID: 12783 Views:1558 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I know its a bit off the subject, but does anyone know how to set up an 'Out of Office Reply' in Outlook. The help menu says something about having to have 'Microsoft Exchange'.
Any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 18:48

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 18:48
no.
but that dosnt help lol.
im sure one of theese wise people will know
AnswerID: 58199

Reply By: Moneypit - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 18:54

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 18:54
Andrew,

I have it at work and activate it for holidays etc. I have tried to set it at home but appears to be something that only works on a networked computer and only with other stations on the network.

Does not seem to operate from my computer to my mates so I assume it is only for networking.

I stand to be corrected.

Dave
AnswerID: 58201

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 19:28

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 19:28
Andrew,

For the Out of Office Assistant to work, you need to be connected to a mail server (one that is connected to the Internet permanently) that supports it.

For example, as has been mentioned, connected to an Exchange Server (the Microsoft flavour of email servers) . It allows for the user to apply the Out of Office setting against their mailbox settings which will allow such a message to be returned to senders even when the user is not using the email program.

In the case of most home users, its more of a temporary setup in terms of email connectivity. The email servers that an ISP run also have to cater for a wide variety of email programs so such features aren't made available (this is mainly due to the fact that it would create a large volume of 'junk' email traffic on their networks). There are some free email providers that do allow you to set up an automatic reply message, but they are few and far between. For such a feature you have to start coughing up the $$$.

If you have your own domain, most of the email facilities that are provided along with the domain allow for you to setup autorespond messages.

hope i haven't confused you too much

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 58209

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 22:30

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 22:30
Outlook can be configured in either a workgroup/corporate configuration or as a POP mail client. Your's is the latter and the out of office feature is not supported when Outlook is configured as a POP client.

Could bore you with more tech info but it's......boring!

Leroy
FollowupID: 319958

Reply By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:15

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:15
I don't think you can do it - you might have to stay at home.....

Andrew

P.S. - I have booked eight weeks off next year in August / September for a Kimberley trip so let me know if it is any good up there.

AnswerID: 58231

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:16

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:16
I'm not staying home for some old email program!!!!!!

P.S. You are a legend!! Eight weeks is not enough though. Take 12 weeks. Go on, you can do it!!........yes you can.
I'm a bad influence on you. hahahahaahahahaha
FollowupID: 319980

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 11:04

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 11:04
It is good up there but June/July would be better. More water in thr cricks.
Hope to be in thar Pilbara then so maybe a catch up at Broome if you change your mind and go earlier. Now thats an incentice!!!!!
FollowupID: 319997

Reply By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:13

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:13
Thanks for your help everyone.
Looks like I can't do it.
Oh well!
AnswerID: 58279

Sponsored Links