Diesel oil too good for my old engine?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:24
ThreadID: 12790 Views:15188 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Was at my local Castrol distributor today, enquiring about prices on 20 liter drums of the new Castrol RX-Super diesel oil. He asked me how old my car was (1990 GQ 4.2 diesel,275000 km)

He said that due to the new CI rating of the oil, it might clean my engine too much and cause it to start using oil as some apparently have. He suggested I stick to using Castrol GTX Diesel which only has a CH rating. My engine currently doesnt use any oil between 5000km changes.

Is this a risk or should I use the oil with the best rating? There is no cost difference (all are $75 for 20litre drum)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:33

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:33
Not an expert Mark but if it was me i wouldnt change, Leave sleeping dogs ly
AnswerID: 58224

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:41

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:41
Sounds like a good question for Russel from Synforce in Qld.
AnswerID: 58225

Reply By: basecamp15 - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:41

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:41
That's right mate. I use the RX super as I have a newer engine, late 99 model GU TD42.
My mate uses the GTX as his is older and the different characteristics are better suited to your engine.
In short, you may start leaking seals or something. The GTX is a decent oil so I'd stick to it.
Cheers, Mark.
AnswerID: 58227

Reply By: Russell from Synforce Lubricants - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:41

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:41
that castrol man is ok, he is dead right, there has been problems with the new CI4 rating in older engines. do not go better than CH-4 in your case.
regards, russell
AnswerID: 58234

Follow Up By: Zapper - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 23:16

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 23:16
Russell

I have just swapped oils in my 1991 patrol TD42 with Safari Turbo. I was told to use RX Super by the supplier and also by the guys at Turbotech. Does that mean I have the wrong oil in it???
FollowupID: 319964

Follow Up By: Russell from Synforce Lubricants - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 21:04

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 21:04
hello zapper, the short answer is you may have, the long answer is ;
those within the industry are well aware of some problems with changing to CI-4, proved by the fact that some of the majors are either currently reformulating their CI-4 oils in an effort to slove some of the problems.
ask any of them and they will most likely say no problems as they have been saying for a year or so now, "try our CI-4 oil it is better ... best".
any vehicle that has been on CH-4 for most of its life may not experience any problems going to CI-4, but those that have been on CF-4 and CG-4 most likely will.
from this you will get differing opinions and experiences re CI-4 depending in most cases, on what they have been using.
nissans own handbook will say use CF-4 and Jaso DH-1 ratings and this cannot be ignored.
it is my firm belief that you can go to CH-4 but must stay with Jaso DH-1, so we make both a CF-4 and a CH-4, both with Jaso DH-1.
RX when i checked with castrol technical 2 weeks ago, does not pass Jaso DH-1.
i am often bemused by owners being guided by fools with no knowledge or respect.
ask any one that has changed to CI-4 and i would nearly bet that the only answer will be "the salesman told me to" or words to that effect.
i have not heard any reasonable technical reason for the change but have heard many horror stories from those that have.
to those that have changed with no problems, great and good luck for the future, to those that have not changed to CI-4 my advice would be not to do so.
regards, russell
FollowupID: 320077

Follow Up By: Zapper - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 23:47

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 23:47
Thanks Russell

Sort of answers my question. I didn't change oils cause the salesman told me, I have run Mobil Delvac for ages only cause we use it on the farm but its so hard to get hold of here in the city that I decided to can it and use Castrol as all the truck stores etc sell it. So I asked the guys at a couplke of Castrol selling places and they told me RX Super, then I rang Turbotech to ask them what they reccommend and they said the same and they had been using it for ages. Now I dont know what I should use, only just did the oil change last week. When did the change to CI-4 take place. I use RX super in my 1986 Mitsubishi truck also which is turboed, does that mean it would be unsuitable for that too?? I rang the Castrol technical line today twice and had to leave message, no one rang me back.

I saw the opening post to this question said they were using GTX Diesel but my wagon is turboed and I thought GTX wouldn't be suitable. What synforce oil would you suggest?

Thanks Russell
FollowupID: 320117

Follow Up By: Russell from Synforce Lubricants - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 18:53

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 18:53
for the Nissan, our Prosyn DH-1, it is a 15w/40 semi synthetic CF-4 and Jaso DH-1 rated oil, check our web site for details, ragards, russell
FollowupID: 320184

Follow Up By: Russell from Synforce Lubricants - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 19:09

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 19:09
sorry zapper, i did not read your reply properly, so i have another go.
firstly, japanese diesels are recommended to have a medium ash oil and i am not aware of any jap manufacturer recommending low ash or even CI-4 rating.
RX super whilst being a damm fine oil, is considered to be lower ash and rated at CI-4, so on recomendations and specs etc, it is not the right choice for the mitsy or nissan.
CI-4 was first licenced in late 2002 and came in with different brands during 2003 - 2004.
the above motors would have most likely initially been running on CF-4,
and then on CH-4. regards, russell
FollowupID: 320189

Reply By: Moffy - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 13:32

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 13:32
saw a good example of this years ago when still at uni - we were running round in a mates sister's moke - we used cheap, relatively low grade oil and it ran fine, despite being fairly old, with high k's and pretty gummed up.

the sister's new boyfriend decided he was going to service it for her and we told him to use the same cheap oil. However, he went for "better" higher grade oil and it basically cleaned the engine right out to the extent that it burned lots of oil almost immediately (picture stopping at a set of lights with a cloud of black smoke rolling past you - drive into an undercover car park? - forget it) - suffice to say the car was used about twice following the service (no-one could afford to put in a new set of rings, which once, with a bit of other work done years later, fixed the problem) and you couldn't, in good conscience, drive it anywhere.

absolutely caused by the change in oil - obviously things might not be so extreme in other cars and certainly many might be able to change up with no hassles, but for me, from that lesson i prefer to stick with the one type of oil fullstop.
AnswerID: 58312

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 22:04

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 22:04
I have learned a little from talking to a number of oil company representatives over the last 15 years and that is that in most cases the oil recommende by the vehicle manufacture is the best oil to use. on occasion one brand of oil may burn a little more than another brand but this is most likly something to do with the type of additive package used. There is virtually no gain from using an oil with a higher rating.

I don't know if what I have been told is true so don't take it as gospel.
AnswerID: 58401

Reply By: Flash - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:53

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:53
I'm using RX Super in a TD42 1990 model- no problems at all!
AnswerID: 58470

Sponsored Links