Command AP50 Cruise Control

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:56
ThreadID: 12793 Views:5294 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have the above unit and like a lot of people have had the magnets come off. I read a post from March where a guy ("joc45") had a curcuit designed for using the Toyota speedo pick up. Does anyone have this and have they used it? Does it work? and how can I get a copy.

Secondly I have one magnet and the black wire cut. Cruise cuts off at 105 km/ph. Anyone have any suggestions? It would be good if I could get it to 120km/ph. Otherwise works great!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 14:36

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 14:36
Interesting, I thought the black wire was supposed to solve the 105km/h problem, I know Uppy is still having the 105km prob on his 4.2EFI GQ. I was going to have a look at it for him and cut the black wire, but now I wonder if it is already cut??
AnswerID: 58319

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:53

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:53
Hi Liz,
I'll contact you via the direct messaging re the circuit.
When I first installed the AP50 in my Patrol, I found that it worked fine with two magnets and the black wire cut, but was unreliable due to tailshaft shake on rough bitumen (gravel was fine!). The shake caused the cc to drop out, a bit of a pain. Move the pickup closer to the magnets, and risk knocking the magnets off, or move the pickup too far out and lose the signal.
I designed the circuit to interface with the speedo sensor. The pulse rate was too high from the sensor to match the AP50, so I used a divider in the circuit to reduce the pulse rate, and the whole thing works fine. In the Patrol, I only had to divide the rate by 2, but the circuit allows for higher multiples of division.
What I did find was that the circuit was not all that suitable for running off the AP50 pickup coil, as the voltage from the pickup was not high enough to reliably trigger my interface circuit. This I discovered when fitting a similar unit to a mate's Hilux. So this interface circuit is really meant for those who want to run the AP50 off the speedo sensor rather than tailshaft magnets.
I'd say that the Patrol has a similar diff ratio to the Cruiser (4.1 ratio, 265-75/16 tyres), and it puzzles me why the cc doesn't work above 105km/h with one magnet (as said, mine worked ok with two magnets, and ran out to above 110km/h). There is a second version of the AP50 which doesn't have the black wire - the division rate is programmed at setup time. This was the one fitted to the mate's Hilux. It still needed one magnet - two magnets wouldn't work above about 90km/h.

For those whom I sent a circuit to some time ago, I found an error in the circuit, which is amended in the latest one. Get back to me if you want an update.

gerron at bigpond dot net dot au

Gerry
AnswerID: 58385

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:56

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:56
Liz, I need to be a member to contact you directly. Can you contact me on the above email address.
Gerry
FollowupID: 320075

Sponsored Links