Camping Spots, Cape York

Submitted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 13:27
ThreadID: 12810 Views:5663 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Can anyone give me an idea of the camping spots between Dunbar and Musgrave in the CAPE. We will be travelling from Archer River down to Musgrave on to Dunbar and then Normanton. I have been told it is to far for one days drive from Archer to Dunbar so I will need a good spot between Musgrave and Dunbar Possibly somewhere around oriners. Do you need permits to camp along this section? and does any one know what this section of the tracks are usually like in August.
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:50

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:50
Hi Nijel, camped just off the track where it crosses the Alice River last year. There was plenty of shady trees & quite a pleasant spot & the flies weren't too bad. GPS co-ordinates : Lat. 15deg 42.42min south. Long. 142deg 37.107 east. Coming from Musgave you will see a track on the right before the crossing which follows the river for a couple hundred meters to the spot. There is a pic of it on my web page at
www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au under Trips Cape York. No permits were required when I went through. Just leave the gates as you find them. Also check the state of the Mitchel River crossing as I found it a couple of feet deep & soft sand in places, otherwise easy to cross. Have a good trip. Cheers.
AnswerID: 58344

Follow Up By: NJ - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 19:31

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 19:31
Topcat,

Thanks for the information. Roughly when did you cross the Mitchell.

Thanks
Nigel
FollowupID: 320053

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 00:14

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 00:14
It was at the beginning of September last year, so depending on what rains the area has around the period you plan to cross this year will effect the condition of thye crossing. Cheers.
FollowupID: 320118

Follow Up By: Nigelj - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:28

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:28
Hi Topcat,

Thanks for you information. I have been to your web site and found it interesting. The photo's are great. Nothing like a picture to save a thousand words. How long did it take you to get from Alice river to Musgrave as we hope to do Archer river to Alice river in a day?
I also noticed you advised going both ways via the telegraph track. Are the diversion roads that bad? What are they like compared to the main developement road below say Morton?
Thanks
Nigel
FollowupID: 320303

Reply By: Nigelj - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:06

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:06
Hi Topcat,

Thanks for you information. I have been to your web site and found it interesting. The photo's are great. Nothing like a picture to save a thousand words. How long did it take you to get from Alice river to Musgrave as we hope to do Archer river to Alice river in a day?
I also noticed you advised going both ways via the telegraph track. Are the diversion roads that bad? What are they like compared to the main developement road below say Morton?
Thanks
Nigel

AnswerID: 58588

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 15:40

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 15:40
Hi again Nigel, We got from Alice River to Archer River comfortably in a day(Musgrave was too crowded to camp). As for the Bi-Pass road the corrugations were really bad & to elliminate the bull dust & traffic we found it easier to just stooge back along the OTR. From enquiries we made at Cooktown we were advised that the section between Morton & the top will not be maintained until they finish upgrading the road from Cooktown to Cairns (2006), so from that I would image the Bi-Pass road is not going to get any better in the near future & with all these foreign tourist doing the Cape in hired 4WD's
& don't drive to the conditions, accidents are bound to happen. The section south of Morton is not too bad with a few sections of corrugations to contend with. There are sections of road that are sealed which gives some comfort to the trip. Glad you liked the web site. Anymore info just send me an email. Cheers.
FollowupID: 320318

Follow Up By: Nigelj - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:11

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:11
Hi Topcat,

Did you go into Portland Road area and if so did you come back out the same way?. We intend doing it on the way up from Archer river and then coming back out the same way and then on to Wiepa. We have been told the shorter route along the Frenchmans track is quite rough and can be problematic.

Also did you go to Port Stewart and if so what is there and is it worth it. There does not seem to be much out there and we are trying to decide whether trip is worth it or not. We will only be in there over night. Seems a long way in and back out if time could be spent better else where.

There will be eight vehicle one with a trailer.

I much appreciate the information.

Nigel ( VIC )
FollowupID: 320321

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:53

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:53
We didn't do the Portland Road because we were going to stay awhile at Weipa. Did part of the Frenchmans track as far as the Wentlock River & camped there on the return trip from the top. That section was quite reasonable to travel on. Can't tell you the condition between Wentlock & the Portland Road although I was told the Pascoe River crossing can be a bit tricky to cross over. Sorry, didn't go to Port Stewart. I suggest ( if you haven't planned it) to spend some time at Elliot & Fruit Bat Falls. We were lucky that the camping area wasn't crowded at Ellliot Falls & it gave us a chance to relax before hitting the Cape. It can get crowded there so you just have to take pot luck. Another place worth seeing on the way up is the Palmerville Goldfields at Maytown south west of Lakeland. It is a rough winding track in from the Maitland Downs turn off (about a 4hr.drive) but well soaked in history of the early pioneer days in the Cape. The Palmer River Roadhouse is a good place for a meal also. Hope this helps. Cheers.
FollowupID: 320346

Sponsored Links