Dual Bty wirinig for Prado120 V6

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 13:40
ThreadID: 12836 Views:1796 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Am about to put a dual battery setup in the Prado (Pirahna tray, Redarc isolator). Have been told its best to put the starting battery in the new aux tray which then allows allows a bigger aux battery to fit in the existing tray. I'm ok with most of this including the main wiring layout for a dual battery system except for:
- best location for the isolator (given starting bty is now in aux tray at front right)
- identifying where to connect up the two batteries to the ignition circuit and the accessories circuit respectively. Is this simple or best left to a sparkie

has anyone actually wired up a dual battery system for this model?

any help appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RainMaker - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 15:33

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 15:33
Hi Drew,

Swapping the batteries use (crank to Aux) is probably more trouble than it's worth. The Pirahna tray for the 120 series will allow you to fit a full size battery. It comes with the bracket to relocate the power steering fluid reservoir. It's all pretty basic to install, I took my time, and probably had it done in 1.5hrs.
The battery I use is the Exide Extreme.
The Redarc isolator is mounted just behind the engine bay fuse/relay box. I also installed an eight way fuse block on the firewall, where I distribute my aux power.
I've run a new heavy duty circuit to the back, with a Hella socket for the fridge. I've also patched into the factory power outlets (front console & back) by removing the factory fuse and running a new fused circuit from my aux fuse block to the positive pin of the console power outlet. This circuit is only for lighting, so voltage drop is not an issue.
Regards,
Tony
AnswerID: 58458

Follow Up By: DrewT - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:17

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 17:17
thanks heaps for that info. i was assuming that i needed to run ALL the accessories off the aux bty but it makes sense to be selective in what you load the aux bty up with.

how complicated was it to run a new heavy duty circuit to the rear cargo area?

re swapping locations of the starting & aux battery ... was told i could fit a larger than normal bty in the original posn; but agree that it mightn't be worth it given the extra wiring changes required ....mmmmm
FollowupID: 320163

Reply By: RainMaker - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 08:52

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 08:52
Hi Drew,

I've been away, so haven't had a chance to catch up on the e-mails.

It's pretty easy to run the cable to the back.

I ran both +ve and -ve in heavy duty cable for the fridge outlet.
In the engine bay on the passenger side, there's a rubber boot (about 70mm diam) with a couple of rubber knobs. Cut one of the knobs off, and the cable will go through there. You'll probably need to push a solid draw wire through first, since there's a second rubber part on the inside.

Inside the car, remove the trim along the door sills (passenger side), the panel under the glove box and the kick panel. The cable will come out on the firewall behind the cars CPU. No need to remove equipment, just hook the draw wire out into foot well. Connect the cables to the draw wire and pull it through the rubber boot. Be carfull not to pull the boot away from the firewall. The floor channels are easily big enough for the extra cables.

Inside the rear of the car, I removed the tray in the side panel above the passenger side rear wheel. I was then able to push a solid draw wire down inside the rear wall lining to the passenger side rear door sill.

The outlet was installed just above the tray hight in the little alcove above the passenger side rear wheel.

Take your time and think about what you're dooing and you shouldn't have any problem.

Regards,
Tony
AnswerID: 60557

Follow Up By: DrewT - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:13

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:13
thanks. i ran the cabling last weekend .. luckily very similar to what to did. only difference was that i terminated the cable with a posfit plug just loose in the rear area rather than fixed to the sidewall

thanks for the reply though
FollowupID: 322140

Sponsored Links