supercharge gq td42

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 10:04
ThreadID: 12862 Views:9707 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a gq patrol running on straight lpg and was considering replacing it with an imported td42 and perhaps supercharging it instead of the turbo charging it.I have a nissan navara with an imported toyota supercharger on it and was impressed with the low down torque hence the wish to supercharge the td42.Question is why arent there more superchargers on the td42s.There must be a reason.Any body out there know why?

regard andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:08

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:08
COSTS.

about $10 for supercharging Vs $4 for turbo.

I know you can buy import SC's and do it yourself , but I think you require a fair degree of mechanical knowledge to do it.
AnswerID: 58572

Follow Up By: colin - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:27

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:27
Hi Flappan, sorry but your figures are wrong, i fitted one to my TD42 for $5500, its a Eaton same as whats fitted to the v6 commodore and they are fairly easy to fit, and the low down tourqe gives the old girl Balls, far better than a turbo can ever do. Col
FollowupID: 320651

Reply By: Trol - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:09

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:09
Hi Andrew,

No reason, turbos seem to have more exposure to the market.

Have a mate with a TD42 Supercharged. Runs 10 psi and gets about 100kw at the rears. Pushes 36 boggers with no worries.

I ran a TD42 with Schweitzer turbo with 12psi and had 165hp and 124kw at the rears, gives you an idea about turbos and supercharges. Of course had the exhaust, pump mods etc to keep it reliable and pretty economical.

Cheers

Trol.
AnswerID: 58573

Follow Up By: andrewv - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:18

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:18
Thanks for the reply but was wondering what sort of supercharger your mate was using?
I have heard of a guy (Colin) some two years ago that had a m90 holden supercharger on his td42 but he didnt tell us if he had a dyno test and at what psi it was pumping out.
The biggest problem I had with my navara running with a supercharger was the size of pulley i had to install to achieve the desied psi.Do you also know what size of pulley your mate installed?

regards andrew
FollowupID: 320286

Follow Up By: Trol - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:35

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:35
Andrew,

I know that the supercharger was an imported job and that the pulleys were specially made by a steel fabricator of mine. I could find out. I do know that he went through a couple of belts before getting it right. He has also chained down the motor as he was breaking engine mounts when extreme 4wding.

Was chatting the other day and said it set him back about 2k in the end.

If you need some details on pulley size, I'll see if he has them. I'll put a new post on once the details are to hand.

Cheers

Trol.
FollowupID: 320289

Reply By: biscuits - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:10

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:10
My guess is first off some TD42s are carby, some are EFI - and carby super/turbo charger kits arent that common.

With EFI kits, you face the same problems as with any engine - is the air flow meter up to the additional airflow, are the injectors big enough and not going to max out constantly, is the ECU reprogrammable or does it require additional mods like a daughterboard to be installed before you can modify it - and is there anyone around with the experience to modify patrol ECUs, will the block/head/radiator be able to handle the extra heat/power/pressure (think of a big 4.2 petrol turbo on a soft beach with the revs up and turbo/supercharger on full boost churning thru the sand - theres going to be a bit more heat over the factory setup there). Is the ignition easily upgradable to suit boost curves (i only really know about coil pack ECU igntion there).

Thats not to say it can't be done - but for the cost of buying a turbocharger / supercharger kit I could see why other options like buying a cheap second-hand holden 5.0L with an adaptor kit might become more attractive. Other things I can think of - a big V8 might be more preferable over a supercharged/turbocharged engine due to its ability to generate so much torque at such low rpm in a fourbie.... insurance reasons too maybe.....

Just my guess anyway. Someone probably does produce a kit out there - have you checked out sites like CAPA to see if they stock one?

Cheers,
Dave.
AnswerID: 58575

Follow Up By: bazzle - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:12

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:12
Dave

TD42 are Diesel TB42 is petrol

Bazzle
FollowupID: 320298

Follow Up By: biscuits - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 15:07

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 15:07
D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew that. I've been looking at TB42's a lot lately so I think thats why i had that stuck in my head!

Silly me!!!! :)

Dave
FollowupID: 320314

Reply By: Nudenut - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:53

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 13:53
there are superchargers and then there are .....SUPERCHARGERS. A lot of the later model superchargers are basicly belt driven 'Turbos' where-as Turbos are normally exhaust driven of course.

The really high pressure blowers are positive displacement compressors and have been known to use Vane, roots (2 eliptical egg shaped rotors). The latest use Screw type rotors. Eaton is a good example of a positive type blower.

Note: turbos (and belt driven fans ie Vortech and Powerdyne etc) are not positve displacement and this is main reson for "lag" and "overrun". Some Turbos like to be cooled down after use before being shut down...run on timers.

Because of positive displacement of roots and screw type blowers there is not the "lag and overrun" symptoms. The positve displacement allows for higher pressures at lower revs than equivalent turbo giving increased torque at idle and just above. (turbos have to rev high to get equivalent boost at idle and above. This could be a problem when you want to tread slowly but need grunt.)

Why not used much? Guess it comes down to price...turbos are cheaper i reckon.
believe Mazda use a positive on the Mita and then there is Merc with their "Kompressor"

Try this site for more info and ring them to get full story.
www.capa.com.au

AnswerID: 58593

Reply By: TCM - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 14:14

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 14:14
Contact Chris Nash at Nash offroad in Canberra, he has done a few, a mate of mine has a Supercharged GQ 4.2 Diesel. it goes about the same as my TD6 Patrol, but he has had some issues with heat (The charger sits directly over the sterring box and he's had melted seals etc).

cheers,
Daniel
AnswerID: 58598

Sponsored Links