Roof Racks

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 15:49
ThreadID: 12869 Views:2405 Replies:12 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hullo fellow travellers - does anyone have any thoughts on roof racks - I am in the process of deciding if I need one to carry 2 spare tyres - I have a 4wd dual cab ute with canopy - roof has no gutters - have been quoted $500 for "rhino" sports racks and luggage basket (including fitting) - apparently this has a load capacity of 75kg.
I don't know if it's worth spending $500 to carry two tyres? - apart from the obvious space saving factor - does anyone have any suggestions?

vjr
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:10

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:10
Aaaahhhhh, roof racks; ya gotta luv em!!!!
I've got one on the 'trol and wouldn'r be without it. I know it knocks about 10% off my fuel economy. But it's a great place for the air horns, shovel, kids stretchers (in the 4" poly pipe) and I'm forever chucking stuff up there that won't fit in the back (cos it's full of fridge, recovery gear, shelving etc).
Mine's a permanent fixture.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 58606

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:21

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:21
vjr,

The racks are good for things like spares but if you were thinking about two spares you need to do the measurements. Each wheel is about 800mm so you would need 1.6m. Not sure if there is enough space on a dual cab unless you go over the canopy as well. You can now get swingaway carriers for the back of utes. Not sure of the cost but that may be an option as well. keep the one under the back and hang one off the swingaway.
AnswerID: 58608

Reply By: Joe - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:23

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:23
Hi vjr,
I hate the wind noise, and it's got a deflector on it.
BUT you do'nt have to tow a trailer/camper on trips.
Mine is also permanet.
REgards
Joe
AnswerID: 58609

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 18:38

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 18:38
Hey Joe - what sort of rack is it? I have a full length Tradesman Oval with steel mesh floor and a perspex spacer. I have very little road noise and I too find the thing invaluable - wouldn't be without it. Just fitted an awning to it today.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 320351

Follow Up By: Joe - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:30

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:30
Hi Pete,
Mine is a Tradesman Oval also,mesh floor
I tried to improve the wind noise, by making up new deflectors.
I tried different sizes,some coming right down close to roof edge, and different angles, but could not get a consistant improvement.
I found diferent shapes and sizes behave diferently based on existing wind velocity and wind direction.
So I went back to standard plastic piece supplied by Tradesman.
The shape of the Prado 120 is very airodynamic and probably limits what can be done.
I have recently found that the wind noise cannot be heard over the tyre noise from the Cooper STT I'm curruntly running.
REgards
Joe
FollowupID: 320393

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:49

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:49
Have a look at my Rig photo, got a surf with no gutters and Rhino racks and 900x1200 basket. Suprisingly quiet, fuel effecitancy does not change toooooo bad, and if you go and by the thule basket from super cheap autos they are only $169 instead of $239. Looks the bloody same to me too! I bought my Rhino Basket second hand with all the clamps for $100.
I've got the Rhino Sportz rack bars and apparently they are rated to 90kg on the surfer with the pop riveted tracks. Fitted the bar and tracks cost me $269 from Opposite lock midland. (however not sure if I'd want 90 kgs up there!).
She's all loaded up right now out the back of work ready for a trip away tonight with the bushranger rack sack and I tell you, life is so damn easy now vs trying to squeese it all in the back.
AnswerID: 58614

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:49

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 16:49
vjr

mine isn't permanent, but it's worth it!! Picked it up dirt cheap, a full length (for the Patrol) aluminium unit that has a wind deflector front end on the 2 lockup carriers! We stick heaps of stuff up there and I have been known to have a snooze up there as well (although not while driving... :-)). We don't notice the wind noise, if any, possibly because of the diesel engine and muddy's!
I had a series of utes with canopies over the years all fitted with racks, but the racks mounted through the canopy to the floor and I have carried ladders and many lengths of copper pipe etc on them, strong as!!! which maybe what you need to go travelling!
Just a thought!
AnswerID: 58615

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:04

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:04
VJR ,
Apart from the fact that you can throw so much light stuff on it ( and firewood )
your car will not go in to most car parks , so you will never have to take your wife shopping again !
If you both use the same car , she will make you take it off as soon as you return from a trip . I KNOW this happens .
Willie
AnswerID: 58621

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:02

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:02
That's the beauty with the baskets, they come off so easy. Mine won'y fit in the garage with the basket on... But on the up side it allows me to mount flag mounts etc all the things you want height for and then take it off for city driving with the minimal of fuss.
FollowupID: 320357

Reply By: navaraman - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:38

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:38
I 've got Rhino racks on my dual cab, two on the car, one on the canopy. Mine are a necessity for carrying ladders, I take the front two off for long trips as the wind noise can be annoying. Can't be bothered taking the back one off as the noise isn't as noticeable and it comes in handy for a dune flag mount. I find mine handy for tying a tarp to when camping in the swag when rain is forecast,
AnswerID: 58671

Reply By: Cobra - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 00:10

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 00:10
Got a 3/4 for the Patrol. Carries all sorts of stuff from spare tyres to firewood etc. Only problem I have is that there is a load limit on the roof, so I need to take the weight of the rack, calculate the weight of the long term load, then the guesstimate weight of the short term load (firewood), assess and accept the risk. Works out fine every time (so far). Probably doubled the load limit on various occassions but being a little judicious with speed over the short distance required probably helped
AnswerID: 58678

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 19:27

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 19:27
too much wind resistance + fuel consumption.... but worse ... you kill yourself trying to get the budgers up there and down.
AnswerID: 58734

Reply By: Member - Bear - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:17

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:17
check out my rhino racks and basket in the trader area ffor $300.
AnswerID: 58745

Reply By: rolande- Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 22:24

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 22:24
vjr,
After going through this process I bought a triple set of rola roof bars, the rounded ones. They can take up to 150kgs, (not that I would put that much up there), you don't hear or notice them normally, and can be fitted with various racks / bags / boots and other fittings to suit what you need. they still fit in car parks and don't affect the fuel consumption to any degree.
Rolande
AnswerID: 58754

Reply By: kiwi2 - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 18:11

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 18:11
If you're buying sports bars, you can't beat Rak's version. They carry more weight than the others and they're width-adjustable so you don't have to chuck them out when you swap vehicles. They sell them direct from their factory to keep their price competitive with the ordinary Rolas and Rhinos, otherwise they'd probably cost heaps. Check out www.roofracks.com. I'm not associated with them but I always support well-made Aussie products.
AnswerID: 59294

Sponsored Links