Wheels and Tyre changeing

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 23:01
ThreadID: 12884 Views:2057 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hay All
Planniing a trek from melbourne through Innaminka, Szczelecki Trak, Birdsville, lake Eyre ,Oodnadatta and back home through Port Augusta etc.Towing an off road trailer with a GQ Patrol . Howmany Spare wheels should I take? How many spare tyres or tubbes should I take? Do I need a tyre changeing kit? If so what kind? Any other advise please feel free, Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 00:05

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 00:05
You'll need a bit more info mate. What tyres do you have, split rims, alloys etc, what wheels and tyres are on the offroad trailer, are they the same as on the GQ? does the trailer have it's own spare? do you have a compressor and other tools do you have already? With the trailer I run all the same wheels and tyres and take the 2 spare wheels, a spare tyre casing, 3 tubes and a tube repair kit (patches, glue etc) plus a few spare valves.
AnswerID: 58677

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 00:42

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 00:42
I would take 2 spares for truck and 2 for trailer or maybe only 3 all up if running the same wheels and tyres,on both, and if you can set yourself up with a complete tyre remove, repair, replace, kit, and learn how to use it before you leave home all the better. Take a spare tube in your kit as well.
I use an r&r beadbreaker kit plus a few bits extra that I put in it. The reason I chose that unit was when I was pondering the different types my wife said go with the beadbreaker as in 20 years time I will still be able to use it as it does not require as much effort to operate as the other options. When you hit the gravel let all your tyres down to 28psi, this will let your tyres flex over stones. Take it easy and try and avoid the bigger gibbers and you should have a great trip.
AnswerID: 58680

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 06:53

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 06:53
89 as said above the correct tyre preasures are a key. Also the same size rim and tyre as truck and trailer. If travelling alone the type repair gear is a must and the rite communication gear.

We were out that way a few years back and shred 4 tryes on one trip. I dont use that brand any more.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 58687

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 10:44

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 10:44
89 GQ,
a mistake I have made, and seen others make, is to think you'll get one last trip out of your three quarter worn tyres. These tyres are much more prone to stone damage and if you aren't spending time plugging them you'll be carrying wheels with completely trashed tyres to the nearest tyre retailer.

Good idea to match trailer wheels to your truck. Doesn't cost much to have the hubs changed but is money well spent. I carry the original spare for the truck, plus two extras which can be used on either trailer or truck. If you get really unlucky (or travel too fast, overinflate, or look for mulga stakes) then you can borrow the trailer wheels to get yourself to a tyre outlet when you are running low on rotatable wheels.

Lastly, compressor and plug kit is essential. I've never tried to remove tyres from rims in the bush, nor ever needed to.

The icing on the cake is the Smartire system which gives you a constant read out, and adjustable alarms, for the pressure and temperature of each tyre. On a recent trip none of my tyres deflated, but the system gave me piece of mind. I was surprised to see that the heavily laden rear wheels heated to 164 degrees fahrenheit on the bitumen, at speed, on the Stuart HWY in SA in April. The pressures also went up quite a bit when they were hot.

Sadly, tyres are going to cost you a lot. But they are one of the most important aspects of your trip. The site of a new $300 tyre flapping in shreads on a sad looking rim isn't quickly forgotten.
AnswerID: 58703

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:20

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:20
Hay ???? If you have matching all terrain tyres on the car & trailer I would suggest 2 spare fitted tyres, 2 tubes, air compressor, Camel tyre repair kit (patches, glue, tubless repair, valves etc), sidewall patches, Tyre Plyers & levers.
If you have speed rated highway tyres or if your tyres are more than 2 thirds worn the chances of getting a flat increases so carry an extra bare tyre & tube.
To avoid flats drop tyre presures to around 30 PSI (depending on load), keep your speed down & pay attention to the big rocks on the road.
The route you are taking has plenty of traffic so taking 3 & 4 spares is not really neccesary. Also there are 5 or 6 small towns that do repairs so you can buy more enroute, if you have a common tyre size.
& don't forget to have a practice in the shed before you go. Not much point carrying the gear if you don't know how to use it.
Have a great (puncture free) trip. Cheers Craig..........................
AnswerID: 58722

Reply By: 89GQ - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:24

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:24
Thank guys
The trailer and truck run the same tyres, and the trailer carries a spare as well.
Your informatoin about the repair kits Tyre quality and beab breakers is great, trhanks agian for your in put.
89GQ
AnswerID: 58723

Reply By: David O - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:34

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 09:34
Ideally your car and trailer wheels and tyres would match.
Take two spare wheels, two tubes and a good compressor.
I personnaly don't use bead breakers, preferring the old fashioned method of running over the tyre and using levers and mallet.

Best advice I can give is in three very important parts

1. use new tyres if you can- no more than 50% worn EVER in this country.

2. ALWAYS run the lowest pressure you can get away with- sidewall cuts are much rarer than people think- usually a sidewall failure is actually the result of an unnoticed tread area puncture that occured earlier- ask the guys out there who repair tyres (Pink roadhouse-Birdsville Shell) Fully loaded I run 30 psi front and 33 psi rear- lower if not loaded. The guys who repair all the tyres out there say 26 to 33 psi.

3. Take it easy-70kph is a nice comfortable speed on the bad stuff. Make sure you can afford the time, because most of us can't afford the damage or the long trip home via the bitumen with a broken vehicle.

PS I just got home from 8000k trip out there on all those tracks and Arkaroola and Simpson- had one very unlucky puncture at Arkaroola. Email me if you like.

Cheers
David
AnswerID: 58774

Follow Up By: 89GQ - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 10:38

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 10:38
Hi David
Is there a prefered tyre kit, with patches tube repairs and levers out there as a package or do I compile somthing from different suppliers.
thanks

FollowupID: 320465

Follow Up By: David O - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 06:41

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 06:41
There are as many answers to this question as there are members on the forum- my preference ws to assemble my own- but it helps if you know a tyre distributor rep like I do-
Here is what my kits has
waxed string type kit (Safe T Seal)
3 mushroom type plugs- for long term repair
4 tubeless valves
vulcanising fluid (glue)
4 to 6 tubeless patches- most of them fairly large
stitching wheel
tyre roughing rasp
2 tubes
heavy duty levers- one douoble ended , one single
rubber mallet
leather riggers gloves
spare valves (inners not the stems)
good quality valve remover
bottle of metho to clean area top be vulcanised

Cheers
David
FollowupID: 320671

Follow Up By: 89GQ - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:59

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:59
David.
Some ideas are so simple that they are staring you in the face and you walk staight past them. The kit you discribed is helpfull and appreciated.
However the throw away line re the tyre distributor is a winner.
I'll followup with my contacts who I didn't think of.
thanks and cheers
FollowupID: 320824

Reply By: Cruiser88 - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:49

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:49
patches plugs etc are as much as much as. Definately get tubeless tyre levers they are heavy duty and won't bend on a tight tyre my last trip cost me three days because of seven flats because I didn't have the advise given to you in previuos responses. It was a great way to learn a lesson that I will never forget. Trust me take the advise

Cheers
AnswerID: 58862

Sponsored Links