Tents, light, quality and easy to use

Submitted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 13:44
ThreadID: 12915 Views:2439 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all i would like to get feedback on what would be a good choice of a tent to take travelling ie to have paccked away in the back of a wagon for the occasional need, i have a 11'X9' center pole tent and love it but it is a bit heavy and bulky when you are not towing , I want something that is light , compact , easily erected / packed and is of a high quality. As i usually only sleep in a swag but some times you want more privacy if you have to camp in a park or if the rain sets in for a couple of days!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:20

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:20
We use an oztent which is all of these things except it is bulky when packed. Best carried on roof rack.
Oztent also make an igloo style tent with the poles sewn in so you just undo it an pop it up. I think it is called Microfast, they usually have an add in some of the 4wd mags.
AnswerID: 58795

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:36

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:36
Yes the Oztent Microfast would appear to fit all your criteria. We looked at it before buying on of the Oztent RV range. The Microfast tents weren't big enough for our family of four, as we don't have swags. I'd love to use swags, but for four of us, they are just too bulky - have to wait till I can evict the kids in 10-12 years' time :-)
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 320495

Reply By: Ian Bee - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:46

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:46
I do EXACTLY what you do, and I only use my tent in a Town Park, otherwise people like just STARE at you.......duh.......

Okay........ I have a Microfast MI4 camoflauge tent. It sits nicely in my roof basket under my swag.

When you see the guy at the shows demonstrate this, it looks easy, except he doesn't always attach the fly!

It take PRACTICE, and then I believe I can do it quicker than he can, including the fly!

If you buy one........ a word of caution........DONT pack it up the way they tell you....... you'll bugger up the two velcro tabs in no time. Just drop me a line and I'll try to show you ( with words.....oh.oh.)

I have taken the time to prctice setting up my tent whilst using only a LED head lamp in the most disgusting & windy conditions.......no problem at all.

Cheers

Ian BEE
AnswerID: 58797

Follow Up By: Cruiser88 - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:26

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:26
Hey Ian Bee

Maybe if you kept the covers on in the town park before you woke up to the splendours of a morning glory......I mean Glorious morning the looks wouldn't be that strange. Wife and with 3 kiddlie winks in tow pulled up late one night off the road outside of Hughenden on a rush trip. We thought we had a fairly secluded spot until just on daybreak we were woken up by this horrendous noise. Turns out it was the train driver having some fun at the expense of the gooses camped 20 feet from the track. If we had a tent rather swag at least he wouldn't have laughed so hard at the stupid expression on my face.

To the good times
FollowupID: 320520

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 16:46

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 16:46
Hi:

Not sure if this will suit, but I have a Hunter Easytent which I took away with me to the Flinders in April. Lay it out, pull up the centre pole (the tent follows), attach it to the top of the tent and it is up. Then just peg it down (4 pegs). There is also an annexe if you want it, but if not the annexe becomes the front door (in front of the fly screen).

It is not "top of the range" but it served the purpose when we (wife and I) wanted a quick setup/takedown for an overnight stay.

They are put out by a crowd called Travelmaster. Through impatience and my own pig-headedness I even managed to break one of the fibreglass legs/suports, and when I came back I contacted Travelmaster and they were very quick to fix the problem for me. Tent came with a 12 month unconditional guarantee.

Jack

I think I paid about $60 for mine. They sometimes even pop up on eBay.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 58806

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:30

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:30
I have my magic (they call 2 person tent) 1 man that packs to about 10in long, and 4in round.. was good warm and dry on weekend up high country, and fits behind the rear seat, between that and the cargo barrier...

Got it at Rays for $100.00.. I'll check brand name in morning.
Its basically a 1/2 Dome Tent, with 1 of them flexy poles from end to end in the middle.
AnswerID: 58847

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:46

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:46
That of course would be the Ray's with the terrible service and no product knowledge?
FollowupID: 320517

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:43

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:43
Yup the same one.

When I got it home, it had NO POLE, PEGS AND ROPE IN IT...

Yes the very same rays withbleepservice that didnt give ableepthat it came without the stuff to hold it up... Not even an apology, nothing.. when I mentioned I was heading to heyfield and what would ahve happened IF my 4yr old had not harrassed me to test it out in the yard before going, I asked what would they have done then, the answer was a blank look and nothing.

Nice try, but ya failed again..
FollowupID: 320550

Follow Up By: rolande- Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:52

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:52
You knew all this and still didn't check before you left the store!
FollowupID: 320643

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:11

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:11
Nope, that was my first time going there and getting reamed..

Try again...

FollowupID: 320679

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:16

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:16
YEAH, you were not happy but still went back! How many more details do you need, and then you come on here and complain about it. Aren't you complaining to the wrong people, call RAY!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 320776

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:28

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:28
You suffer from foot in mouth lots.

Go read the original thread..

I had no intention of buying from there, was only after one to physically hold and try before buyin from USA. Was also after a few basic things that any fart that works there should have known.

Anyway theres a difference in 3/4 of an item missing and outright nobleepin idea...
FollowupID: 320779

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:35

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:35
At least I don't wish for people to be run over and are continuously rude to others. The only reason you can walk in a straight line is because you have a chip off both shoulders.
End of discussion!
FollowupID: 320821

Reply By: Cruiser88 - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:19

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:19
Hi Dingo
We have used the same cheap (read Big W special) dome tent for about 4 or 5 years 5 min up 5min down and 30 min to fit it back in the same bag. all in all for 50 bucks or less you can't go wrong. Certainly suits all your requirements I just pack ours in a cheap small overnight bag (cheap cause I nicked it from the sister)
AnswerID: 58857

Reply By: DINGO - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 08:33

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 08:33
Thank you for your responses i would like to know the weight and demensions of the OZ TENT "micro fast"also an estimation of the time to errect and pack away? Regards Dingo
AnswerID: 58873

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:56

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:56
Go to I think oztent.com.au or something......... they have all of that info & some video footage.

Setup & breakdown times are often exageratted (sp), but I can assure you that whilst I don't set a watch ( don't even own one!), I can set my MI4 up including fly really fast, and put it away really fast. The time is not an issue, all I know is that out of the 3 tents I own, and countless others I have used, mine is just simply fast. Sinple as that.

Weight........ I guess maybe 3 or 4 kilo's?, again, that should be on the site above.

Lonewolf is something else you may wish to look at, maybe do a search here on this site, I think they have been discussed here before.

Cheers

Ian BEE
FollowupID: 320559

Reply By: DINGO - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:59

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:59
Thanks Ian i have found the site and all info as required, looks interesting.Do you keep bees?
AnswerID: 58923

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:47

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:47
Just my wife & kids!!

Tracy & I are the workers & kids are drones........

Whats the old saying" ...one generation has the shirt sleeves up........ next generation has them down........."

Cheers

Ian BEE
FollowupID: 320602

Reply By: SMMKJD - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:26

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:26
Hi

I have a Microfast MI-8. Brilliant overnight accomodation for 2 adults and 2 kids (8 & 10). It is 3.05x3.05m square and I think 1.7m high in the centre. Very lightweight but an ackward to handle shape when folded. I store it in the canvas sack on the roofrack.

4 pegs (1 in each corner) plus another 2 at each end is the minimum requirement. I can put it up in under 3 minutes including the fly at night if I really need to (and I have). Takes about double that time to pack up and there is an art to it.

I have never spent more that 3 days at a time in it and never in the wet. Long term stays are in another tent (that takes 30 minutes to errect). Microfast is for 4wd touring where we usually move daily.

Steve
AnswerID: 58969

Sponsored Links