Greaing properly universal joints on any 4WD . The spider type U. J.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1293 Views:1843 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
One spider llink seems to always be greased more than the others.
How do you have the grease coming out form all the 4 spider links. I think if the grease is NOT coming out the needle-rollers inside the theyoke will perish. Any special chemical which will unblock the packed grease. I have tried a hot air gun with some succes. Any serious suggestion will be appreciated. Guy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
It may be worth checking the grease nipples. Sometimes they can get blocked/damaged and won't allow the grease into the joint.
AnswerID: 4164

Follow Up By: Guy - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
Cruiser the nipples are working. But the grease is only going to one link, insstead of each of the 4 links. Guy
FollowupID: 1794

Reply By: skippyking - Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
Guy, it's probably a "path of least resistance" sort of thing. The grease can escape from that link and so only goes there. I would have thought that if there was grease needed in any link in the uni, then that would be filled first before it starts to escape. I doubt you could get grease to escape from all 4 at once because of the least resistance thing. Have you pulled them apart to see if they have sufficient grease in them all? They may well be lubricated quite adequately. On most vehicles that travel at high speed, that I have seen, the drive shafts are quite straight so the uni's don't have to work all that hard. Hope I may have helped. Cheers.
AnswerID: 4184

Sponsored Links