FRIDGE SEALS

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:20
ThreadID: 12935 Views:2166 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Have read that fridge units should be used often to stop the seals from drying out and cracking ???
If this is the case is it OK to leave my Waeco permanently left on - on the lowest setting? or will this do more damage than good??

I would just leave the unit on in the garage and through some extra beer in so that the the beer is close at hand for medical reasons!

Look forward to your ideas.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:05

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:05
Dont know bout waecos but i know a few with engals who use them for beer fridges or freezers. a bloke a few months ago posted that he had a hardly used fridge that was left unused and he went to use it and it was stuffed so I think unless you use it quite regulary keeping it running is the go. having said that the ones where i work now are left lyiing around until the 6 month field season and seem ok
AnswerID: 58892

Reply By: Nudenut - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 13:01

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 13:01
this is getting bloody annoying

sealed refrigeration systems as used in 12 volt fridges (and also used in domestic fridges and freezers) do not, I repeat, DO NOT have seals that require lubrication "to prevent anything".

AnswerID: 58902

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 13:10

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 13:10
Hey nudenut why don't people listen??? I think that uban myth takes over maybe people read the bit about running their car aircon to keep the seals supple.. but these fridges, like the adsorbtion type (3way) dont have anyexposed seals to dry out... unlees they are talking about the door seals.. which can be periodically wiped over with some amorall or such like to keep them moist
FollowupID: 320564

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:29

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 14:29
Maybe not everyone is an expert on refridgeration as you two obviously are!
Why don't you just treat it as an honest enquiry and respond with a decent answer instead of criticising the person that posed the question?
FollowupID: 320571

Follow Up By: Davoe - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:09

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:09
so why do engals recomend regular use for optimum fridge life in their instructions?
FollowupID: 320591

Follow Up By: Member - Bear - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:22

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:22
Hey Nudenut and the same hello to Rick Blaine,

Why don't you take on board what Member - Alan has offered as advice...

We are not all looking to you two sell proclaimed experts for your imput but asking the normal 4x4 public for their ideas and experience.

Be constructive and helpful or pull your obnoxious heads in because we normal people use this site as a fun and informative forum, if we needed or wanted a degree in "allways right" we would attend Uni.

Loosen Up Goose.
FollowupID: 320596

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 18:07

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 18:07
Alan, Bear
if one took some time to read the archives you will find that I have replied with similar answers (yes answerS) before. You will also find some other facts re ...why one should? run their fridges...not sure if its all true...but the manufacturers recommened it for some reason...and i refer to the electrics side of the system..
now I have pulled my obnoxious head in and may i suggest that you read the archives.

Davoe,
I have an engel and a trailblazer? (a copy really) and only switch them on when i need to use them. must admit...if i am about to go away i switch on a couple of weeks ahead to make sure the unit/s is/are working.

Trust me these things do not have seals ..they are not like you car airconditioner which has a crank shaft seal that needs lubrication...check the archives about 2-4 mths back where i wrote why.

If the manufacturer recommends that you switch them on periodicaly I have have this to say...
electronics do not like getting cold and hot and then cold etc etc etc..... the engels use quite a bit of it as the compressors are driven by the module.
FollowupID: 320607

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 18:20

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 18:20
and bear,
I am not a self proclaimed expert....but i do believe i am reasonably experienced after having completed some 33+ yrs in the field of refrigeration and airconditioning and on this basis I can tell you what I know!

and further, to make ammends, I must appolgise for sounding a rather tad insulting in my opening line to your question.

But I didnt think you were asking for the "normal 4x4 public ideas or experience"...i thought you wanted to know the Answer to your question
FollowupID: 320612

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 14:22

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 14:22
sorry to upset you nudey my post and followup was based on a post from a couple of months back where a guy with a fridge he had hardly used failed to work and after reading the instuctions which told him to run it regulary he was after ideas to prolong his next fridges life ( i think he hadnt used it in 5 years perhaps something to do with it?) also a freind of mine uses his as a freezer after reading the instructions. I never actually said they had seals (although i assumed they worked like a car air con) so thanks for that info. besides al that the best way to make sure your fridge works is to take it out bush at every oportunity (full of beers to fully test it) just to make sure
FollowupID: 320715

Reply By: madcow - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:09

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:09
I leave the engel running on the lowest setting when it is "not in use" to cycle the battery more than anything else. It cant hurt either fridge or battery to do this as the car is driven daily. I have not heard of the seals "cracking" before but I guess where you live may have something to do with this.

Cheers
AnswerID: 58925

Follow Up By: Member - Bear - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:24

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:24
Thanks for your reply..
FollowupID: 320597

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 18:57

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 18:57
Ok... I'l pull my head in.. but please dont make the mistake of thinking that a Uni Degree gives you any more knowledge. Hell I taught machine shop practise for 7 long tedious years at Canberra Uni. & my ex students still contact me for advice...& I appologise for offending anyone I may have done or may do in the future.
AnswerID: 58944

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:39

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:39
Bear,
Running it won't effect it either way. Sealed system fridges like Waeco, Engel and the mighty Trailblaza don't have oil seals, as pointed out above. BUT..... you car air con does.... and you should run the car a/c at least 15 mins every couple of days to keep the seals lubricated. (This is just my opinion, but it is an opinion based on nearly thirty years of "Fridgying!!)
AnswerID: 58954

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:26

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:26
Brian, your opinion is not just yours...i agree that one must run the car aircon on a regular basis......now where do we agree on what regularity? every couple of days or once a week ? hehehe.
FollowupID: 320650

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:44

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:44
Regularity???? Well... just regular! Our last car was an old Tarago... the aircon died and needed a new compressor... (The air con was almost dead when we bought it, dried seals let the refrigerant out!) second hand compressor.... new seals, run it EVERY day.... minimum 15 minutes! Had it for 5 years trouble free!
My work vans air con is never switched off!

:-)
FollowupID: 320701

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 12:57

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 12:57
Run it every day? thats what happens when one lives in a tste where its perfect one day and better the next
Wish I was living in a state where I could run my airconditioner for comfort more than once or twice a year.

But it really isnt neccessary to run it every day...every week is OK. And to put the record straight, the seals dont 'dry' out...the seal relies on the oil film on the seal face etc to produce a perfect leak tight 'seal'. The oil clings to the seal face and the minicus of the oil prevents the gas from escaping thru the small ireggularities in the polished face and rubber seal. No oil film and the gas escapes...simple eh?
FollowupID: 320708

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:45

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:45
yea I agree every day for car aircons (especially work ones) they work just as well in winter as summer - nothing defrosts your window quicker than when you use you demist with aircon and heater on
FollowupID: 320741

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:40

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:40
Bear,
Running it won't effect it either way. Sealed system fridges like Waeco, Engel and the mighty Trailblaza don't have oil seals, as pointed out above. BUT..... you car air con does.... and you should run the car a/c at least 15 mins every couple of days to keep the seals lubricated. (This is just my opinion, but it is an opinion based on nearly thirty years of "Fridgying!!)
AnswerID: 58955

Reply By: Member- Rox - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:49

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:49
All I know is that if you turn if off the beer gets warm!!!!
Mines been on for 3 years now no problems. (engel 40)
AnswerID: 59009

Reply By: Wayne from the Pilbara - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:07

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:07
I've just started the luxury of turning the car air con OFF!!! Its nice to have the window down for a change. Air con gets used just about every day so should be well lubricated.

Engel on the other hand doesnt get used as much but works everytime I want to use it. (Every month or so!)

Cheers

Wayne
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 59011

Sponsored Links