Do you actually take that "thing" off the bitumen!

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:07
ThreadID: 12946 Views:1833 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We had a good laugh Sunday morning. We have a friend, Jenny, in Brisbane from the country and my wife took her to trendy West End for breakfast. They went in Jenny's Landcruiser and were lucky enough to get a park right outside the restaurant. As they entered a lady blocked their way and said in an overly loud voice, "Do you actually take that thing off the bitumen." Jenny simply replied, "Where I live there is no bitumen." She wasn't trying to be rude. She was merely stating a fact. The lady stormed off.

I am told there are people who never take their 4bys out of the city, I just have never met one.

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian Bee - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:32

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:32
I really honest to god cannot see what all the fuss is about. There seem to be people that simply DETEST be being behind me in either of my vehicles, gotta pass me at all costs. Beats the .hit out of me....... trucks, buses, vans, trailers, boats, caravans,.......and yet they single out 4 x 4's.

What is it with people who seem to think that us city folks shouldn't have 4 x 4's?

I wonder if these are the same people that don't have boats, caravans, motorbikes, horses...... just plain boring jealous people green with envy, or without a cause do gooders?

I do know one person who bought a new Land Cruiser simply to tow his caravan. Absolutely no interest in off roading whatsoever. We all buy things, but maybe for not all the same reasons.

Went through all this a few years ago with the gun debate. You belong to a rifle club & people think you are a killer!

Went through it before that with motorcycles, everyone thinks you are wearing away the bush!

Now if you have a 4 x 4 WITH a Bull Bar....... god help you........ you are a pedestrian killer!

Better stop before I fall off my soapbox!!

Cheers

Ian BEE
AnswerID: 58953

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:38

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:38
Good post Ian, I like the new highly polished 100 series with the little chinese and the scarfed women driving them, and you can see they are absolutey terrified in the traffic,(White knuckled) There is absolutely no way the vehicle will ever get of road. What a waste!!! Michael
FollowupID: 320682

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:02

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:02
And don't you just love it when the little buzz box once having passed and cut in front of you, then slows down to below the speed limit and slower than what you were already travelling at?
FollowupID: 320691

Follow Up By: Michael - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:46

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:46
Savvas, That happens to me most mornings on the way to work. Cruise control on in the left lane, 120kph and you find people roar past and then move to left and slooooow down. When you move out to overtake them again, they speed up. Just love it!! Michael
FollowupID: 320742

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:44
wish I was there , Ten points
AnswerID: 58959

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:31

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:31
I think the saddest thing is there are people around like that and i dont just mean attitudes towards 4bys but a whole range of things and it is not just that they have an opinion but that they choose to air it in the wrong places. I might think that a pimply faced homeboy in a hyundai with his subwoofer turned up in the woolies carpark to impress the ladys is a spanker but i dont take it upon myself to go over and tell him to turn it off. perhaps your freind could have passed her a note with www.exploreoz.com/forum and told here that would be a more appropriate place to air her greviences
AnswerID: 59070

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:23

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:23
These sorts of things must only happen in the cities as you barely see an eyebrow raised at 4bies here in the country.

People mouthing off at each other about their individual type of transport are only brain dead troglodytes. So don't get caught up in the moment of passion :-)

AnswerID: 59127

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 12:42

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 12:42
your right there no one complains about 4bys here in kalgoorlie. I ride my bike to work and to save boredom I count how many 4bys pass me and it is about 60% of traffic with miners and contracters going to work ah 4by heavan
FollowupID: 320874

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:22

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:22
I often wonder why anyone would buy a 4WD if they never have any intention of using it off-road. After all, they cost heaps more to buy and more to run than the average family sedan. My hubby works with at least 3 people that have 4WD's that have never seen so much as a dirt driveway, let alone been offroad...but to each their own. Twice now I've had people make snide comments about our 4WD being a glorified shopping trolley, both times I've simply pointed the scratched duco and explained that we didn't get those in the carpark at Woollies! Beyond that I don't waste my breath.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 59274

Sponsored Links