GU snorkel and bar

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:19
ThreadID: 12949 Views:2021 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody tell me if there is a difference in performance between Safari and Airtec Snorkels or is it purely asthectic. I have just purchased a 98 GU and are about to fit a snorkel and bar. The bar I have at this point favoured is the ARB Delux winch bar but I am still undecided about the Snorkel. The other issue I have is the vehicle is dual fuel and all the plumbing is sitting where a second battery would normaly go, in the top right corner of the engine bay. My question is, has anybody overcome this problem? My current train of thought is to place the battery in the rear of the vehicle and shorten one of the draws in the storage unit when I have one fitted.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks Shagga.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:32

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:32
G'day there,

On Dual Fuel vehicles, the gas adapter typically fits up on the right, where the spare battery goes, but you can move them fairly easily by getting a gas fitter to fix it to the left hand side. This fixes that problem!

The snorkels are just simple products. They can't really "improve" the vehicle's performance, only degrade it very-slightly by affecting the aerodynamics. The major feature of a snorkel is to lift the air intake well above anyones waterline. This can solve heaps of problems over water crossings.

My hint is to pick the cheapest one that looks right. I have an Airtek, but really, the Nissan one was the best, as it was slim-line and asthetically pleasing.
AnswerID: 58971

Follow Up By: Shagga - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:04

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:04
By the Nissan one do you mean the Safari that is shaped around the flare to form a triangular shape, or do Nissan have a model of there own?
FollowupID: 320646

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:39

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:39
The Nissan unit, made by airtek me thinks, is totally different in design to the standard safari and Airtek units.

The Nissan units slope up the windscreen frame from above the side-indicator beacon. The snorkel intake sits above the roof line, collecting the air from the high-pressure point above the windscreen.

I don't think that it does anything fantastic, but it certainly is better than paying for a new engine!
FollowupID: 320654

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:00

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:00
Surely the air taken in thru a snorkel would be cooler than under bonnet air! In which case it would be far richer in oxygen.
I am also trying to establish which brand of snorkel to fit, I was told by Airflow Snorkels, that the Safari collector has far better dynamics than the Airtec, increasing rather than hindering air flow.
FollowupID: 320663

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 07:12

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 07:12
Ok.

Think about this....

Turbo-charged Diesels, even with intercoolers, the intake tempurature is around 45-60 degrees, due to compression artifacts and heat-soak in the turbo and other components.

So, When I installed my system, I tested my intake tempuratures. On a 2.5 degree night, the intake temps were 43 degrees (fast idle for 20 minutes)

I put my snorkel on, with a Unifilter (my set up!) and again tested my intake tempuratures. The intake temps were down .1 degrees! This wasn't on cablibrated equipment, so I could not even say that this was an improvement, as the device was not accurate.

With this, the intake tempuratures haven't changed at all, the density of oxygen hasn't changed.

The improvements that I've seen are with the lovely induction noise, the sounds that the turbo makes through the snorkel/filter and the fact that I am not going to have a dead engine come water-crossing time!

Chris
FollowupID: 320672

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:39

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:39
Shagga,
My experience with snorkles and dual fuel is that the air fuel mix has to be changed to cope with the extra air flow from the snorkel when running on gas. I have yet to see a 4wd vehicle run well on gas and petrol.
As for the battery in the back, it would have to be a Gel battery that does not produce fumes or leak battery acid.
As for the type of snorkel to fit, there is not much between the two. Go for the one that you like the look of or the best deal you can get that includes fitting, unless you like drilling big holes in the guard.

Wayne
AnswerID: 58976

Follow Up By: Shagga - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:07

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:07
I have just sold a SWB MQ that was also dual fuel and it ran like a charm on both gas and petrol. The GU I picked up on Friday at so far it also runs really well on both, although I havn't run it a lot on petrol, with unleaded currently at $1.09 Ltr who can afford too.
FollowupID: 320647

Reply By: Tim (VIC) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 07:52

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 07:52
Shagga
The nissan bars are made at ARB but Nissan specs said they wanted the big tube look on there bars.
The Nissan bars are not as strong in the wing section of the bars as an ARB bar because nissan want to make them cheaper so they remove some of the bracing,but still not to bad.
As for snorkels i have the safari and find it good but find no economical benifits,to say but it comes back to personel choice.
IMO i don`t think it will make a huge difference which snorkel you fit as long as it keeps the water out.
Tim
AnswerID: 59025

Reply By: theratt - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:53

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:53
Shagga my nissan bar is cracked also heard of another cracked on this forum think they are TJM so i would go ARB, i have the nissan snorkel which also i am sure it is airtech anyway has been ok , as long as it keeps water out thats the main thing for me
and a bit less dust
AnswerID: 59055

Sponsored Links