Circus Water

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 14:10
ThreadID: 129598 Views:1593 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I wondered if anyone has visited Circus Water on the North Western edge of the Rawlinson Range.
Nothing similar to that described by Giles, Terry and Hill could be located recently.
I wondered if the position as marked on the Hema maps and EO Topo maps is correct.
If anyone can advise me of the correct location this would be much appreciated.
Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 15:16

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 15:16
Hi Tony I was at that location a few years back and we went looking for Circus Water and there was some debate as to whether what we found was in fact Circus Water. What we found was a decent sized sandy bottomed rockhole at the base of a very small gully that was flanked by quite low sections of the range.

Hopefully Phil B will see your post and he may be able to shed some more light on this.

I've just checked my Ozi PLT file and I put it roughly at 24 45 22 S and 127 45 11 E.
By the time we had finished out there it was a pretty defined track in.

If you're looking at venturing in there don't forget your permits. the scenery around there is quite nice and the loop road out to Lake Christopher and back via the Old Gunbarrel Hwy was very enjoyable and very scenic (even though we had a bushfire chasing our tails and fire on each side of the track from just before the lake).

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 588117

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 07:03

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 07:03
Hi Tony
Its a great site as said by Dunc.

But as said by others you'll find permits almost impossible to get; the northern side of the Rawlinsons is a no go area.

A large group of us including Dunc were part of Desert Discovery project doing or helping with flora and fauna research back in 2012 and had access.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856222

Follow Up By: Member- Tony C - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:20

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:20
Thanks Dunc. I thought I posted a followup early this morn but I must not have submitted it correctly as its not here.

The position on both the Aust Topo 1:250k and EO Topo have it positioned at about 24 46 14S , 127 41 90E . This position appears out by about 5.5k to the west from its actual position. This error led to my confusion of its location.
Thanks again for clearing that up.
Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 856234

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 20:17

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 20:17
Hi Tony

I have tried to get permits but they will not issue them

I know Phil B has been there, but it was part of the Desert Discovery field work, and would be the only legal way into the area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 588141

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 23:58

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 23:58
And that was why I was there. We had unprecedented access.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856220

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 09:43

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 09:43
Tony C,

This seemingly simple question unfortunately does not have a straightforward answer.

In essence, the topo & other maps probably have the wrong location for Circus Water. Currently an attempt to correct the records is under way. Altering official records (e.g. where an error has been made many many years ago and information exists to confirm the error) - be it names or locations - is a long process. Suffice for the moment to say that the official record still appears to be wrong.

My own observations have Circus Water as S 24° 45' 22" E 127° 45' 10".
There is another location west of here which on some maps is called Circus Rockhole.

If you saw this you were at Circus Water:

Cheers
AnswerID: 588164

Sponsored Links