Question for Computer people

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:08
ThreadID: 12960 Views:1355 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have just bourght myself a Lilliput TFT-LCD Touch screen color monitor to use as an external lap top screen to use with moving maps . Problem is it starts to flicker after a couple of minutes . Mate bought one also and his is fine . So , we pluged mine into his 12volt system and it did the same . I then pluged it into my wifes car , and it was ok . Question is , will this screen need its own regulated power suply to get it to work ? It,s the only thing i can think of , that the diesel,s power suply is not constant , but then my mates works ok . Or is it in the programe to set the external screen up . Im sure it,s the power , but i carnt work out where the prob is , so if anyone has any idea,s , im all ears . Thanks .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:31

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:31
Errol,
I'd be checking for earth-loop problems. eg, running the gps off one power source, the laptop off another and the display off yet another, then interconnecting via a data lead can, in some circumstances, cause problems. This is generally caused by different current draw on each device causing a small voltage difference between respective earths. The difference causes a current flow in the earths of the data cables, and subsequent problems. Some laptops are tolerant of this, some not.
just a thought....
Gerry
AnswerID: 59015

Reply By: Seto - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:39

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:39
Errol,

I also have one but not the touch model & I use it successfully from my IBM laptop and off the same power cable from under the bonnet. I take the feed from the external screen port to a Grandtec Grand Hand View signal convertor. Works fine with no flickering. Only flickering I get is when I try a TV channel without an external aerial.

David
AnswerID: 59016

Reply By: theratt - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:42

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:42
check the connection for the data cable , mine works ok in in my gu deisel
but was flickering once found it to be that connection(the one closest to the screen)
the other problem i have is i cant use the touch screen as my computer running XP PRO, doesnt like the program , so i have a cordless mouse which works off the dash mat no probs
AnswerID: 59053

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:34

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:34
I'll send you a member message with my mobile Errol, I still think it is a driver issue.
AnswerID: 59090

Follow Up By: dangerous - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:40

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:40
Can any of you guys recommend a good source for a VGA touchscreen, or even non touchscreen in australia?

At the moment i am considering buying one from www.digitalww.com but i would much rather buy locally.

also what models in particular are you guys using?

thanks!
FollowupID: 323109

Reply By: dangerous - Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:41

Friday, Jun 04, 2004 at 09:41
Can any of you guys recommend a good source for a VGA touchscreen, or even non touchscreen in australia?

At the moment i am considering buying one from www.digitalww.com but i would much rather buy locally.

also what models in particular are you guys using?

thanks!
AnswerID: 61631

Sponsored Links