awkward oil filters rodeo

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1297 Views:4366 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
have a 99 rodeo trayback.going up north and may have to do a oil filter change along the way.the position of this oil filter is horrendous.you have to tackle from underneath and attack.first i tried to give a test run,the clamp wouldnt fit.bought a strap which you can attach a extension and ratchet to. got underneath but cant seem to get the right leverage.must be an easier way without running to the mechanic shop.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
Mate, got the same, but I use a cam lock type doover, that fits over the filter, attach a 1/2" drive flexhead, and a 6" and a 12" extension, then a ratchet or bar, when u turn anti clockwise to remove the filter, it tightens onto the filter like hell, do it from the top, is great, try Repco or similar for it, or do the oil/filter b4 leaving and only do the oil on ya travels, if under 10,000 km in distance.
AnswerID: 4168

Reply By: Alex - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
You may not like my answer, but I have always serviced my own vehicles, one of which includes a dual cab Rodeo. In short, I only tighten oil filters by hand, and as such you can then undo by hand without use of a filter wrench. Most filters tell you to only tighten 3/4 of a turn from first contact, something quite achievable by hand. I would change over a dozen oil filters a year, and for many years, and have never had one leak, or come loose. Works for me, but I guess many won't agree.

Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 4174

Follow Up By: Skippyking - Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
Alex, I'm with you. We have a Rodeo on the farm and we service our own utes, tractors, trucks etc, and I do that filter up by hand and undo it the same way from the top. I've tried many filter wrenches and the one on the end of my arm is the most versatile:~) It's a Houdini job getting your arm in there, and not getting burnt, especially as I like to have the oil hot to stir up any crap that may settle out when cold. Never had any problems either. Fred,if it works on farm vehicles bouncing around paddocks and rough country roads all the time then it should be fine for all you have in mind. Cheers.
FollowupID: 1800

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
Alex, I agree, and I service my own as well, but if I only hand tighten the filter, the bastard will always leak a bit.. maybe an imperfection on the mating surface, or slight warping of the cooling system housing that supports the filter.
And have heard some diesels occasionally have vibrated the filter loose, more so if it hangs, unlike the rodeo.
FollowupID: 1807

Reply By: fred - Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 15, 2002 at 00:00
thanks fellows its nice to see we are all in the same boat. life wasnt meant to be easy. cheers fred.
AnswerID: 4192

Follow Up By: Lars Peterson - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
If you need to get some extra grip on that filter when doing it by hand,
I always use an old rubber dish-washing glove and wrap it around the filter..... the extra grip is amazing.... works well on stubborn jam jar lids too!!!!!
Cheers
Lars
FollowupID: 1828

Reply By: Dion - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
Another useful hint for changing 2.8L diesel Oil filters is: when loosened, place under (around) the filter a 1.25 or 1.5 pet bottle that has a bit cut out of it like a scoop. Keep the cap on the bottle. Let the filter fall into the bottle and then you have no mess over the suspension and diff components beneath the filter.
Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 4410

Sponsored Links