Tyres for Kalumburu Road

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:52
ThreadID: 12983 Views:1996 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm a new member and I'm heading across the Gibb River and Kalumburu Roads in a month's time. I have an old Nissan Navara dual cab and would appreciate advice on the following: 1 - The tyres I have on are 1/2 tread worn Toyo Tranpath radials. Are they up to the task or should I replace them, if so -what with? There are so many tyres on the market. 2 - Does a Navara have sufficient ground clearance to be categorised as "High clearance 4WD" as it has been a big wet and river levels could be high? 3 - any useful advice from Navara owners who have done the trip. Thanks, Bill.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:05

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:05
Bill, I have no idea what Tranpath tyres are although Toyo seem to have a good name - however - just to be on the safe side and to think about the savings it may be wise to get a set of coopers / bf goodrich / bridgestones / or whatever but proper a/t rated before you go - if you do need to replace somewhere in the kimberley it will be at far greater expense than darwin. the road may be freshly graded and like a hwy - it may be not graded at all and therefore like a normal w.a. road (ha ha ha) - there should not be a problem with any water levels in a months time and your navara will be adequate for the trip. enjoy the area and try to get off the g/r road and see the other places as well. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 59134

Reply By: Member - Bear - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:56

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:56
listen to what Maverick says.
I had to pay $400 for an Adventurer last year at Mt.Barnett (and had tro take the old one off and put the new one on myself)

Better to be organised before you go.

You can't go past either the BFG A/T or M/T
AnswerID: 59157

Reply By: Member - Dave (Pilbara) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:08

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:08
Meet people on the GGR who had done in 4 tyres. They had part worn "ordinary" tyres. I run coopers which are some of the toughest tyres around and still did one in on the Leopold rd. Take two spares and equipment to repair and change tyres.
Run the tyre pressures as high as you can and still be comfortable. This is a very heavily talked about point and you will no dought get other opinions. Talking to the tyre fitters at both ends of the GGR they urged me to have the tyre pressures as high as possable. I ran my coopers (after the first one got a sharp pock through the side wall. ) up to 50 psi. The ride was to harsh at that so I dropped them to about 46. The side wall of tyres are exposed to sharp rocks when the pressure is low.
AnswerID: 59470

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 00:30

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 00:30
I got the same drill from my tyre fitter about the Cooper A/Ts on the Prado. 38-40psi in normal conditions on stony roads or bitumen. Extra 3-5 psi when fully loaded. Only need to reduce when in very soft sand - down to 20 - 25psi. Sounds reasonable to me.

Steven
FollowupID: 321146

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 21:29

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 21:29
Adjust air pressures to suit conditions.

We did the GRR in the troopy (see pic below) shod with Desert Duellers which had done approx 60000km at that stage. No probs.
AnswerID: 59486

Reply By: David/Dave - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 18:50

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 18:50
We took our old troopie up (twice) with plain old Kuhmo Powerguards with about half tread and had no problems at all. Still driving on them now, and they only cost about $140 each.

From seeing others up there the main causes seemed to be staking the sidewalls, and that was with all sorts of tyres. Take a couple of spares with you, just in case.

Cheers,

Dave.
AnswerID: 59612

Sponsored Links