ProQuip 10L Plastic Jerry with 6 piece lids' systems, my experiece

Submitted: Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 10:07
ThreadID: 129900 Views:3273 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
The tittle may appear to almost say it all, a 6 pice lids systems is ludicrous, but i can go on and on, and I will...

Anyone else have drama's with these units?
Drama's like...
1. Manfoctorer should include special tool or at least vice-grips to tighten down the two piece bleeder-cap and four (4) piece main lid-system to stop the fumes.
2. Manufacotrer should include Spill-kit to clean up the upto half-cup of fuel that will retain in the spout during removal, even when rmoved carefully. In fact, removing it carefully helps it retain fuel in the spout!
3. GPS system would also be good to recover 3 of the small lid-system parts that blow away in the wind on a cold stormy nights while refilling the genny. No need to RMID the spout, it's easy to see it tumbling away in the wind.
4. A bib. It also needs a bib because it's a dribbler when the 4 piece spout and lid system doesn't set up properly on a dark rainy nights or when using straight from the neck on any calm night!
5. Manufactorer should supply spare lids to repalce the ones that crack!

I used this jerry 4 times over a ten day snow-camp and everrry time it had me cursing it! I am shocked it was not recalled entirely

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 11:07

Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 11:07
Certainly sounds like it's not fit for purpose, and possibly a hazard in some circumstances.
Thanks for the heads up on it.
AnswerID: 588961

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 11:20

Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 11:20
In 2014 Pro-quip entered into a voluntary recall of the main lid component and will replace it with another one when the drama's happen..
Not good enough pro-quip!
People are still buying your product with a faulty lid.
Its a petrol jerry can pro-quip, you know, the stuff that EXPLODES!

I've made a ACCC complaint
FollowupID: 856782

Reply By: TruBluGeeQ - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 23:01

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 23:01
Wow!! Really Landcoaster???? I hate to say it mate, but I think you are doing something seriously wrong when you use your jerry. I know they don't come with a book of instructions for you, but it's really not that complicated mate.

I've used Pro Quip plastic jerries for at least ten years now. 5 litres for the mower, 10 litres for the jet-ski and 20 litres for the GQ, boat etc. I've filled the jet-ski and boat on the water in windy and wavy conditions; no dramas.

Mine all have 3 piece lid systems: Black Cap, yellow disk and a yellow spout. Not sure what you are using? Unscrew the cap, put the yellow disk on the 'nipple' on the side of the can, remove the spout (never lost a drop - how the hell do you lose half a cup???), upend the spout and put the cap over it, screw it on finger tight and you are ready to go. Loosen the bleeder or vent cap and ive got 10 litres in the jet-ski tank 30 seconds later. 20 litres in the GQ takes about a minute. Absolutely puts all the others to shame with there 'no glug' pourers, that glug and chug away for 3-4 minutes.

To close, reverse the process, finger tight. As for the GPS and bib, save those for the ones that keep the spout on the outside (on the handle). They never go back in right, and they always have fuel in the ripples of the spout that dribbles out and stinks up the place. I've tossed out a Willow brand can or two, and a 'BMW Plastics Pty Ltd' that leaked like a bloody sieve (with the cap on or the spout on when emptying).

Sorry to have a go, but you've given a severely one-sided take on an Aussie made product that I have used for years without a single issue. Could be a Ford vs Holden kind of thing I suppose (or Cruiser vs Patrol more like it) :-)
AnswerID: 589958

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 11:00

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 11:00
I am sorry to shatter your loyalty to this product, here is a link to the recall, so it is not just me!

You forgot to mention the rubber seal in your lid assembly description or perhaps you have a different model to the one i had.
FollowupID: 857976

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 13:30

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 13:30
The specific one you are referring to is sold exclusively in Supercheapq

Must be different mine as I find mine to be fine
FollowupID: 857981

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 09:39

Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 09:39
it must be wonderful to do up the lid and have no fumes escape when the side are gently squeezed, that's what mine was like...

Supercheap may have exclusivity now after BCF returned there units and don't stock them, so I was told...
FollowupID: 857995

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 09:54

Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 09:54
LandCoaster , Supercheap & BCF are one and the same company ..
FollowupID: 857996

Follow Up By: TruBluGeeQ - Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 11:46

Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 11:46
No loyalty lost here Landy :) As per your link, they issued a recall on the caps due to a bad batch. If you lid is faulty, why not do what the link says and CONTACT PRO QUIP and get a replacement?????? Surely this makes more sense than p!55ing and moaning on a forum about how you are incapable of using a product??

I went to BCF this morning for some Dads Day stuff. Asked the Manager about the ProQuip cans:
Any Dramas with them? Nope
What's with the recall? They had a bad batch of lids so recalled them for replacement. We have some spares at the counter for anyone who has an issue.
Have you had complaints? None
How long have you had this brand of cans? 12 months or so
Are you returning them? No. They are better cans than we used to have, and I've got three of them myself.

Seems like someone 'told' you wrong Landy. If your lid is faulty, call proquip and get a replacement. Crisis over. As for the issues you have with the 6-piece lid setup (?????), maybe try a metal jerry can instead? Although this may be a 10-piece lid setup in your eyes?
FollowupID: 858003

Reply By: LandCoaster - Sunday, Sep 06, 2015 at 18:16

Sunday, Sep 06, 2015 at 18:16
correction, recall was for 5.10,20L Pro Quip standard fuel container caps with certain manufacturers date sold nationally in ALL distributors

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1071971
AnswerID: 590047

Sponsored Links