Review: Steep Point

My Place Rating: My Rating 5/5

We travelled to Steep Point at the end of May. We used Hamelin Station as our base. This is an outstanding place to stay and is now run by Bush Heritage. There is a caravan park at Hamelin Pool, however this not run by Bush Heritage and is distinctly a second choice.
The journey to Steep Point and return to Hamelin Station takes an entire day. We left at sunrise and returned at sunset. The first 140 km is a reasonable dirt road but once you turn off the Useless Loop road you are greeted by a full-on sand track. Reduced tyre pressure, 18 psi, is essential. With such pressures we had no trouble on any part of the track driving our 200 Series Landcruiser. Unfortunately signposting is vague at best and this is potentially quite dangerous as the area is quite remote. We found that because of the nature of the track, being very narrow, frequently steep and often lined with high bushes, that using a sand flag was very worthwhile. It enabled others to see our vehicle well into the distance and although we could not see them they were well aware of us. Considering the fact that the area requires a National Park entry fee one would expect better signposting if nothing else. On our return journey we missed the turnoff to one of the roads. Fortunately we soon recognised this and once we returned to the intersection the road was named Perth Road. Very helpful considering Perth is at least 600km away.
Overall the trip is well worth it, however unless you intend to camp towing anything would be challenging. If you are not prepared to lower your tyre pressures significantly, don't bother going. It is a shame that sand flags are not encouraged and a common UHF frequency is not suggested.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links