1983 HJ47 fan clutch

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 11:28
ThreadID: 129913 Views:2557 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, recently completed a fully successful H55F gearbox/transfer rebuild in the 2H Troopy. Took the Troopy into town yesterday and noticed that the fan clutch (viscous coupling) doesn't disengage as much as it used to. I remember how it used to behave before, and considering the weather here in Tassie is cold at the moment, it shouldn't be engaging that much. Apart from the continuous roar, the engine temp didn't rise much above cold.

Anyway, I did some reading last night and came across some comments regarding the proper storage position of thermally controlled fan clutches. Apparently it is supposed to be stored in the same position as when it came out of the vehicle i.e. vertical. I of course didn't know this at the time. I looked back at photos that I took of when I was doing the rebuild and saw in the background the fan lying flat (face down) on the bench. When removing/installing the fan I was very careful not to damage any part of the fluid coupling (especially the bi-metal coil spring).

Could it be that the silicone based oil inside the clutch leaked into some areas that it shouldn't have, causing this problem? Is there any way to make it leak back? (Wishful thinking, I know). The fan does rotate by hand with some resistance (engine cold and stopped). This I understand is normal. And it does freewheel when the engine warms up, but as soon as I hit the highway it engages fully again and doesn't disengage at anytime after that (even though the engine temp is dropping). The rest of the cooling system is working properly.

Any ideas? (Apart from replacing the fan clutch).

Thanks in advance

Tim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 12:56

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 12:56
Tim, suggest you probably join this FB group and ask the question.

Amazing amount of experience over there for 40 series owners ... plenty of folks who've put a 5 speeds in a 2H motor - sorry I can't help as both my HJ's have had the 4 speed H42F transmission

Aust 40 series owners group

also some of the folks on iH8mud might have some suggestions...
AnswerID: 589000

Reply By: mountainman - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 17:50

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 17:50
Either dump the oil in it and refill..
or purchase a genuine replacement.
Toyota viscous coupling are better than the aftermarket stuff.
no need to fakebook and join a 40series forum for a viscous coupling issue.
That site has a bunch of nutters on it...and a waste of time.
id rather face to face and reliable opinion
AnswerID: 589012

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 22:05

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 22:05
mate, the link is for "Australian 40 Series Land Cruisers" not the "40 series owners" - whole lotta difference....
FollowupID: 856829

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 08:23

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 08:23
G'day Tim, you can still buy the genuine oil tubes only from Toyota & refill or change yourself - not a big job at all, I have done many over the years. norm
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589034

Reply By: gbc - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 09:53

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 09:53
I have re packed a couple of clutch fans using glycerin from the chemist. It was years ago and I can't remember how I got the advice, but they all worked fine.
AnswerID: 589043

Reply By: Mudripper - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 13:02

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 13:02
Thanks to all who replied. I will certainly try to repair it. I have seen videos on Youtube of people refilling their fluid clutches, so I will pursue this. If it doesn't work, I'll just replace it.

Thanks again people for your help.

Regards,

Tim.
AnswerID: 589051

Sponsored Links