Spending a night on the Nullarbor-- Bunda Cliffs?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 07:57
ThreadID: 129925 Views:7303 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading west in a week or so for a caravan holiday visiting Perth & following the Coast line down to Esperance. One of our planned overnight stops on the Nullarbor was to be in Eucla however it has been suggested to me that we should consider spending an evening viewing the Bunda Cliffs & free camping there for the night. We are relatively new to caravanning and have not free camped before. We are considering a location approximately 109Km west of Nullarbor, listed as No 606 in Camps Australia Wide No 8. We are keen for advice from others who have spent time camping or viewing the cliffs in this region regarding which locations are better for viewing , camping or any known security issues.
Cheers,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 08:54

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 08:54
Hi Alan, yes can recomend a stop at the Bunda cliffs ,we stayed there on the way over and on the way back ,some of the parking areas are on a slight rise near the cliffs ,but after looking we went a bit further and had one dead flat and plenty of room,soon filled up though . May be a bit cool this time of the year , another spot we stayed at was next to an old repeater tower ,about a kilometre off the main road on the north side,it was listed on the camps 5 book we had ,you go through a gate ,gravel road and away from the highway noise .
Regards John
AnswerID: 589036

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 13:44

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 13:44
Security will really not be an issue anywhere. Just find a spot a bit off the road that's fairly level and spacious. A few bushes to act as wind break are good. If you feel nervous about your first venture into free camping there will be others around at any sites in Camps books. You will probably enjoy it more if you park away from the crowd though. Don't cuddle up too close to anyone else and relax. You will never look back! Lynne
AnswerID: 589053

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 18:51

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 18:51
Hi Allan

When ever we head over that way, there are some great places where you can free camp. One spot that we have used for a number of years is not that far west, but in fact near the Nullarbor Roadhouse.

From the Roadhouse, head west for around 5 kilometres, and there will be a good dirt road on your left. Travel down this road for around 5 kilometre sand you will come to some tall trees on your left. There is always good flat camping in this area, but far enough from the coast as not to get blasted off the planet.

From here it is only a short drive to the coast where you will have the area to yourselves. If you do not mind driving on bush tracks, you can then follow the coast track for around 30 kilometres with many great views to be seen along the way, before making your way back to the Eyre Highway and around 40 kilometres west of Nullarbor Roadhouse.

The only thing that you need to be careful of is not to leave anything out at night, as there are usually a few dingos around.

It is always great dive and you will get to see some great coastal scenery.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589065

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 19:24

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 19:24
A great dive indeed Stephen.... :-)
FollowupID: 856866

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:45

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:45
Hi Stephen. Thanks, our van is not an outback style so not too sure on some of those tracks but will check them out. Thanks for the photos. Also, have planned to stay overnight at Clare in the van park on our return trip.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 856890

Follow Up By: jamesw - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 17:01

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 17:01
Stephen, we stayed at the same spot on our way west in April. It rained overnight and we decided to head back to the roadhouse for a hot breakfast. Were so sheltered we did not realise how much weather had come in from the coast and the track back to the highway was completely underwater, as was the roadhouse parking area. We did the drive out to the cliffs from the campsite the previous afternoon and the waves were coming half way up the cliffs. So spectacular.

James
FollowupID: 856911

Follow Up By: jamesw - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 17:03

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 17:03
Alan, we stayed at the showground in Auburn. Top spot to stay and not far from the Rising Sun pub with great meals.

James
FollowupID: 856912

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 21:38

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 21:38
Hi James

Those trees are a real god send and cut out all that wind for sure. And the best part of all, the trees can not be seen from the road and it is a very private little spot to camp.

And as you know, the road in is great, with that heavy limestone base and even with lots of rain, is usually a very solid surface to drive on.

One of the times we were camped there, we met a guy in a small caravan that wanted to camp right on the cliffs. Next morning when we went to the cliffs for a look, he said that it felt like his caravan was going to be blown off his car and over the cliff, it was that windy.

Ken and Paula put on very good meals for sure at the Rising Sun and is always a great place for a meal. If in Clare itself, either the Middle Pub or the Sevenhill Hotel always have great meals.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 856930

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 11:24

Wednesday, Aug 12, 2015 at 11:24
Thanks for the heads up on pub meals. We enjoy the occasional pub meal especially in older pubs & country towns.
FollowupID: 856977

Reply By: D-MaxerWA - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 19:46

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 19:46
There are many good places to free camp along the Nullarbor. Just find a parking area that has a track heading in from it. Some tracks will take you well away from the road noise. If you have not collected any firewood, find one with trees and you should have plenty.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589069

Reply By: 08crd - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 21:39

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 21:39
We usually camp 10k's east of Border Village. Take the track out the back of the truck bay, 2k's to the top of the Bight.

Not cliffs, you can walk down to the shoreline.
AnswerID: 589072

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 23:48

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 23:48
The first time we went on a sort of track towards the cliff edge (that particular track since blocked off) and stopped half way between highway and cliffs. It was very windy, but a lovely place to watch a stormy night sky over the ocean.

By the fire rings and sorbent garden at the cliff edge of this track, others had camped there.

Do not walk too near the edge; the coastline is crumbling. This is the only safety issue.

We now go the other side of the highway to avoid the wind, and it sounds like Stephen may have described our secret spot. If it is, there is plenty of room for others there.

It is a wide open plain - plenty of places to get off the highway for the night.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 589073

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 23:50

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 23:50
On re-reading, Stephen's spot is on the sea side of the highway so very different to ours.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856880

Follow Up By: Australian Landscape Jewellery - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 20:40

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 20:40
Just seconding Mother hen's warning. Those cliffs are very dangerous and there is no fencing.
If you can get a view of a bit of land sticking out, look closely at just how much the cliffs are undercut. There is often nothing underneath you some way before you get to the crumbling edge.
Mike
FollowupID: 856965

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 22:00

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 22:00
I took a photo of where people had been walking, and took the same area five years later - a big gap :O.

There used to be eight viewing areas, but gradually these have been closed. Only about three remained last time.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856970

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:39

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:39
Thank you one & all for your input. That gives us a few extra ideas & options. We are expecting it to be a bit on the cold side over night. Also aware of dingos around bush camp-sites.
Many thanks,
Cheers.
AnswerID: 589088

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 22:47

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 22:47
We have not heard dingoes around in the night on the Eyre Highway, but this one watched me from a close distance as I sat in the car eating my lunch, no doubt hoping for scraps. When I didn't oblige, he sniffed around the bin. The rest area was close to the highway, which can be seen in the background of this photo.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 856932

Reply By: osters - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 20:41

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 20:41
Can be very windy on cliff. You need to get in early if you want a spot, not many places to camp. If it is cold and windy i would recommend the 81km peg. It is81 km east of Border . You will see the pegs every km along the highway. It is a good track in and has lots of camping spots and lots of shelter well off highway. It is not far from cliffs. Further down the track there is a special place called Newman rocks. It is 50km west of Balladonia on your right. Just drive in to top sites and then walk to waterhole. We went past 3 days ago and I noticed someone had removed signpost. Drive slowly and you will see road going in at top of hill.
AnswerID: 589201

Sponsored Links