Port Hedland Free Camp

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:31
ThreadID: 129971 Views:2521 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Reading a newsletter that I receive each day I came across this very informative article printed on July 20th in "The West Australian" that others may find helpful.

Is this the start of a change of attitude from authorities toward attracting grey nomads to WA instead of making free camping difficult (as I have read in this forum and others) now that the big money from the mining boom is ending?

Hopefully this link will work.

Port Hedland Free Camp

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/travel/a/28870775/port-hedland-lures-grey-nomads/

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:41

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:41
That is great news. Hope others follow

Local caravan parks need to make themselves attractive to paying guests rather than expecting regulations to ban free camps.

Alan
AnswerID: 589180

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:18

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:18
Alan, agree. The CP we stayed in at Port Hedland was packed to the rafters with FIFO's, noisy, expensive, cruddy facilities, and the managers really didn't look like they were interested in passing travellers.... more $$$ in the FIFO trade.

Only stayed overnight and got the hell out of there.
FollowupID: 857011

Follow Up By: Loddo48 - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:56

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 10:56
Stayed at the end of July for one night and there would have been 80 + vans and motor homes on site. The dump point is at the brick toilet block as you come in the gate.They ask you to drop off your purchase dockets off near the bins so they can see how much money is been spent in town.
FollowupID: 857014

Follow Up By: Member - Sanantone - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 19:28

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 19:28
Yes, I have stayed there too, no power or water on site (you can get water at the front gate from a tap) but does not encourage tenters or anyone who cannot be self sustaining. It was full the day I was there and not one problem (that I could see) with anybody. They reckon that you spend around $100 per day while in town, so 80 vans is $8000 per day that has come in that would probably have kept going to another place. Hopefully other towns/councils will start thinking about it.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 857037

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 09:02

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 09:02
These remote towns that have been riding on the mining boom will now have to start bending over backwards to encourage tourists. They've had it too good for too long.

We drove Perth-Darwin in July 2012 with our motorhome, and Pt Hedland was a complete joke back then. Got to the town about 4:30PM and couldn't even find a verge to park on - let alone a campsite or caravan park vacancy.

We headed North out of town and found a track about 30kms out, that led to a spot on a big ridge where a Telstra repeater was located on top of a big rock. What a great camping spot that was! Got some fantastic photos of the sunrise on one side of us, and moonset on the other.

The bottom line was, we gave Pt Hedland a miss completely and went on to Pt Smith, Barn Hill and Eco Beach. That meant we spent precisely zilch in Hedland, we didn't even buy fuel there. There's a lot to be said for being completely independent and self-sufficient.
AnswerID: 589307

Sponsored Links