Pro n con vdj76

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:11
ThreadID: 130003 Views:9212 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all
Young bloke is looking at the 76 series cruiser, just wanted to know at what stage does the 4.5 v8 require injectors to be replaced.. And cost involved... Also do they run a timing belt or chain? Any other things to be aware of when looking for a good one.. Looking for as low ks as can find for reasonable $ spent.. Any tips or experience would be a great help.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:16

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:16
Sorry, forgot to add, any particular year model to avoid? Heard something about starter motor dramas? In earlier models? Cheers
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589314

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:28

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:28
G'day OD,

Certainly nothing wrong with asking this question on this and other forums, but have you tried the lcool (landcruiser owners on line) forum?
Those guys seem to have all the goss and technical info on the various Cruiser models including the 76 series.

Cheers
Pop

AnswerID: 589316

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 14:52

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 14:52
Hi Odog,

there is a couple of things that I know of on these

1. They have the one Turbo not 2 as on the 200 series
2. On a couple of trips the fuel economy was brilliant on them as good and sometimes better than our 200
3. The rear wheels do not track true with the front track (wider) and on a dirt road / sand it can be a little more work as the rear have to forge their own path. My brother in law recently drove a mates 76 series and he stated that it was harder to drive than the 200

Overall I reckon they are a very capable unit

Hope that may be of some help

cheers
AnswerID: 589321

Reply By: Member - 8111COLIN - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:10

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:10
I have a 78 series Troup Carrier , same engine , as for the track being wider at the front than the rear , you would be pushed to notice the difference , ive had 3 troup carriers and have travelled in sand mud you name it I can't tell and besides the grunt of the V8will get you through anything any way .

The only drama that seems to be inconsistent with these engines is oil consumption , some use lots , some use very little and some don't use any , mine uses 1.0 ltr every 5000 kms around town and on a trip the same over 10,000 towing a camper , I'm not fussed about it Toyota said it's normal , it has improved for the better since i changed the grade of oil .

Injectors if need replacing could cost about $600.00 each , my friend has a 76 series that has done 300,000km and still on the original injectors , I have spoken to some mining guys and they have had them replaced after 80,000km but is very rare that this needs doing so early . the price is coming down , I don't think about it .

Great car , with heaps of power , just check the service history , I havn't heard of one breaking down ( touch wood ) .

Colin
AnswerID: 589336

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:42

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:42
With respect

the 76 was following us in some pretty soft sand on a remote track between Derby & Cape Leveque and they got stuck numerous times, power has nothing to do with it and can in fact get you more stuck, the rear are out by about 76mm from memory which is why you can buy spacers that shift the rears out. If the rear does not track with the front the vehicle has to displace the sand twice. According to my BIL who drives the 200, it didn't feel as stable as mine

We also travelled the Canning with a 76 and the owner didn't believe me at first but then when he had a look he agreed it was out.

There is a company that fit's a complete rear diff assembly that puts it back in line with the front.

OT he asked what knowledge people had, and that is a fact that they do not track true and yes it can and does catch people out especially if you aren't aware of it

cheers
FollowupID: 857174

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 06:46

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 06:46
That is probably the driver's issue Cookie.

I travel with a mate with a troopy and it's wider front track. He didn't get stuck once on 2 crossings of the Simpson.

A few PSI and driver experience can make a good 4wd look bad, and a bad 4wd look good on sand.

I am not sure about other issues with the wider track, but it certainly didn't affect his troopy's performance.
FollowupID: 857190

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 07:29

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 07:29
Agree Boobook
No doubt if you you had the option you would have a matching wheelbase but it is definitely more a percieved problem than a problem
FollowupID: 857191

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 08:41

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 08:41
Interestingly the GU Ute with leaf springs has had a 100mm narrower rear track for 20 years or so too. Front is 1610, rear is about 1510mm.

Dunno why but you rarely see people complaining about that, even with that 3.0l powerhouse.

I think non owners on forums see more of a problem with the Toyo than owners as a rule. LOL

FollowupID: 857197

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 21:05

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 21:05
Don't worry about injectors - they were an occasional problem, but that problem seems to go away with time (its a Toyota thing). Can get the whole lot done for less that $3k now according to some.

Oil consumption was rarely a "problem". It was unexpected from a Toyota. Toyota changed the piston design in around Sept 2009, (as well as other changes to stuff like vacuum pumps) so if you are worried that you might have to top up once between changes, then buy a later one.

They run a timing chain, so no maintenance required. Also the valve clearances are self adjusting, so no maintenance.

The good stuff: they are as strong as an ox with that rigid front axle, strong chassis, and they look the part - like a real 4wd.

Bad stuff: The wheelbase is very short - shorter than the troopies, and a lot shorter than the traytops, so they can be a handful to drive, especially on skinny rims. The issue with different tracks (95mm) might be worse on the 76 than the 79 series. Fitting spacers can cause grief - break studs and its not legal.
They only have a single fuel tank (90L) because there wasn't room for another. The seats are average, to say the least. If you are tall, then you might struggle to get comfortable. They come with very few extras. Like 1 cupholder, no cruise control. They need diff locks to become a competent rockhopper.

Also, these vehicle cost a bit more to maintain because the wheel bearings and swivel hubs need maintenance, and because they have a manual gearbox and clutch and the clutch can be borderline, especially if towing. But the cost of parts and filters is very cheap - genuine oil filters around $25 and genuine fuel filters around $35. Fuel filters are very easy to replace.

But a really well fitted out 76 looks great, and feels good.
AnswerID: 589343

Reply By: Member - 8111COLIN - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 13:54

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 13:54
Agree with most of that except for that for the post about the one that was stuck in sand , that was definitely driver incompetence, ive done heaps of sand driving with my troop carrier towing 1.5 ton camper with no problems at all , it's all about tyre pressure and gear and rev selection , nothing to do with the track of front wheels lining up with the rear wheels , it really isn't an issue at all .

Oil consumption , mine is a 2010 model that uses oil however as I mentioned it doesn't bother me that much anyway.

Colin
AnswerID: 589357

Reply By: Member - 8111COLIN - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 14:02

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 14:02
And .
We have 2 kids travelling with us in the troopy , we sacrifice the rear doors for extra fuel and space ,we have the GXL with slightly better interior .

If the young bloke doesn't have kids well go for the troopy more everything except rear doors.
AnswerID: 589358

Reply By: Kenell - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:30

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:30
Odog,
I bought by 76 series new in 2011 after some hesitation. My 3.0l Patrol was dying at 225,000k and I wanted something with similar capabilities but I was worried about the rear leaf springs. I have been very satisfied with it. I use it as my daily drive around Melbourne and do a bit in the Vic high country. I have just returned from the Cape, towing a camper. It was faultless.
Plus side
Power is magnificent - no chip, just 3" exhaust.
Bullet proof - it performs well in sand, mud, snow, steep country, hot / cold weather. Yes the front end was "exploded" to accommodate the v8 but I have never noticed any problems from the extra ploughing required in sand. It is better than my Patrol was.
I find it easy to drive although I hear plenty who say otherwise.
Fuel economy - 14l per 100k on the Cape trip towing a 1t trailer. About 12l average when not towing. If you can keep it under 100kph on the open road even 10l per 100k is possible.
Servicing is inexpensive as others have indicated.
Negatives
It is annoyingly under geared. I would kill for a 6th. I'd happily swap 1st for a 6th.
It is sparse internally. I have fitted floor and o/h consoles which fixed it.
The sound system is rubbish, but that is an easy enough fix.
The 95l fuel tank is too small. I have fitted a long range tank which has resolved that.
Seating is nothing special. I am only 5'7'' and it works for me but taller people might find them a bit under whelming.

There is no point comparing them against a 200 series. They are not a soft ride, noiseless luxury ride. They are designed to be agricultural, hard working no frills trucks. I tell anyone who asks what I think of it that it isn't for everyone. Incidentally, mine doesn't consume oil. The rear doesn't bounce too much and certainly less than I anticipated.
Hope this helps.
Ken
AnswerID: 589364

Reply By: Member - Odog - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 16:53

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 16:53
Thanks everyone, very helpful feed back.. they sound very reliable, and I know would be a capable vehicle... Just weren't sure on a few things, but bit more info always goes a long way.. Thanks again. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589401

Sponsored Links