Swap and Go Gas Bottles - Test Dates

Submitted: Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 17:45
ThreadID: 130020 Views:6948 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I went to my local hardware store to do a Swap and Go (9/8.5kg) bottle exchange.

Having been given the bottle I checked the test date and it was 1997 so I checked everywhere on the bottle for a later test date but none was to be found. I said I was not happy with that and would like an in date bottle - the only other full bottle had a test date of 1991 and again checking the entire bottle there was no undated test date.

The attendant said that "Swap and Go" (Elgas) were exempt as they check all bottles on filling. I disputed that and indicated that it was illegal to refill out of date bottles (10 year life) and that I was sure Swap and Go checks the bottles but when doing so they should be restamped with the new test date. He said those rules no longer applied but I checked with a LPG tank/bottle tester and my understanding is correct.

Also I highlighted that while Swap and Go may accept one of their out of date bottles in exchange, if I was outback somewhere and needed to fill the bottle it would not happen with an out of date bottle. The attendent said that as it was a Swap and Go bottle no one else was allowed to fill it - I told him that was not correct and Swap and Go was a swap system with ownership of the bottle remaining with myself.

So be aware that for whatever reason bottles that you pick up as part of the Swap and Go may not display a valid test date on the bottles.

Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:01

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:01
You are quite right This has been debated on another forum and HERE ARE THE FACTS

http://www.elgas.com.au/swapngo/swapngo-faq

The Attendant has no Flipping idea to put it mildly
AnswerID: 589363

Follow Up By: Member - Donnyj - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:19

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:19
Good on you Garry! I can only dream about being assertive like that.
FollowupID: 857252

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 19:04

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 19:04
Are you replying to me or the OP
FollowupID: 857256

Follow Up By: Member - Donnyj - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 22:32

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 22:32
Sorry TomH! I must have clicked the wrong button. I was meaning to tell Garry "well done". Has been an interesting thread as I have noticed myself the small variation in sizes and I try to refill the bottles that I have and which fit in the holders.
FollowupID: 857270

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:47

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 18:47
I have two 9kg bottles on my off-road trailer and also use them for our BBQ, I choose to buy and refil my own bottles because of some of the issues you have pointed out. Secondly I came across Swap and Go 9kg bottles that were slightly smaller in diameter than normal, the steel strap type bottle holder on my trailer would not tighten down enough to secure the bottles. At the moment, I can fill my own bottles for $15.95 at a servo 100 meters away, can't beat that!! Regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 589366

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 19:03

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 19:03
Thats because there are two types of gas bottles Tall skinny ones and short fat ones. So either are actually "normal" just different.

FollowupID: 857255

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 20:14

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 20:14
I use 4kg bottles and as Michael said, bottle sizes vary quite a lot..

I had a bottle I wanted to do a swap and go with ( because it was out of date ) and I had a bit of trouble getting another with the same diameter..

I found at least 4 different sizes......but to look at, they appeared the same !
FollowupID: 857259

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:22

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:22
Hi Garry, It may be a good idea to ring Swap and Go and tell them of the store in question and let them know on their website they state all their bottles are dated ,so something is not right ,and as you say if you go somewhere else you will lose your right to refill ,thanks for the heads up ,will check in future .
John
AnswerID: 589376

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:39

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:39
Yes I did ring them but there was no available in the area so had to deal with the receptionist.

She did agree that the bottles should have all been in date.

Garry
FollowupID: 857265

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:53

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:53
A complaint to here might get results

http://www.elgas.com.au/resources/complaints-complaint-resolution
FollowupID: 857267

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 22:14

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 22:14
TomH, the problem is there was a standard when most bottles were actually made in Australia, now made everywhere in the world, the standard has gone. So on most van and campers, they have a holder welded to the A frame, so when you get to a country town and swap a bottle, you can't secure it. Either it's too big for the bolt to reach the welded nut or the too small and the strap is too big. So in many cases it's better to refill the one that fits and is within the recheck period. Regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 857268

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 22:28

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 22:28
Yes I think we have all had that problem but a simple answer is to get a longer bolt. If its unable to be tightened a packer will fix that A bit of wood or a thick piece of rubber.

Other than that get your own bottles refilled if possible.

Then when its due to expire get a swapper one thats the same shape.

I did that last month and Bunnings let me sort out the same size with the best date on it
FollowupID: 857269

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:59

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 11:59
The problem with finding a bottle to fit is the wide range of sizes that fit the Oz standard - From this site:

9kg BBQ Gas Bottle Dimensions, Capacity and Weight

9kg BBQ gas bottle? A 9kg gas cylinder, with POL valve, is the most common BBQ bottle size

? This is the most popular size in our SWAP'n'GO® exchange program

? Nominal Capacity: 9kg

? Actual Fill Capacity: 8.5kg

? Diameter: 309-335mm

? Height: 450-525mm

? Tare (empty) Weight: 7.8-10.4kg

4kg BBQ Gas Bottle Dimensions, Capacity and Weight

? 4kg BBQ gas bottleA 4kg gas cylinder, with POL valve, is commonly used for portability

? This size is also available from our SWAP'n'GO® exchange program.

? Nominal Capacity: 4kg

? Actual Fill Capacity: 3.7kg

? Diameter: 240-265mm

? Height: 345-450mm

? Tare (empty) Weight: 4.5-6.6kg
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857332

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:21

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:21
Quote Also I highlighted that while Swap and Go may accept one of their out of date bottles in exchange, if I was outback somewhere and needed to fill the bottle it would not happen with an out of date bottle. Quote

I thought I was the only pernickity person around!!

I was confronted with this situation in Broome last year. All sources of refills in Broome were closed for various reasons, so I went to the Woolies service station and looked at their swap cylinders ( not Swap and Go). My cylinder was quarter full but I was setting out on the GRR so wanted to be sure

There was no testing date on their cylinders.

Now my cylinder was an older Swap and Go with a valid date to 2017 so I declined giving them my legal cylinder in exchange for an illegal cylinder.

It all worked out as I was able to refill at the Imintji store, and the great bloke there even weighed the cylinder so it cost much less than a Swap cylinder in Broome. A pity those managers have now gone and AFAIK the store is closed.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 589386

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:26

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:26
I have not used a "swap and go" since I turned the valve on to use my stove and could not turn it off when we packed up.
The result was to undo the hose at the stove and let all the gas escape to the atmosphere.
Lesson learned.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589665

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 13:20

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 13:20
My rig has three taps under the van at the rear that can isolate each of the appliances and the van interior from the bottle so at least I could turn the gas off there if I was faced with that problem and was in an isolated area. Not ideal but probably ok in an emergency? I also have a litre of metho and a burner for backup.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 857574

Sponsored Links