GPS units, IPad

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 20:47
ThreadID: 130032 Views:2887 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys

Trying to make a decision, that some of you have already done, we travel a lot off road and the bitumen, and now face the decision to purchase a unit or app that will get us off road a bit better than a Tomtom. I've been looking at the Hemma Maps app for the iPad, the vms unit to install I into the patrols din slot, and the HN7.
If you've had any experiences or have a unit, any comment would be greatly received.

Ta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:05

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:05
VMS poor back up service and poor product.
HEMA for off road and keep the tom tom for the tar.
wished HEMA was as good on road is it is off road..
plenty of reports on either on any 4x4 forum
AnswerID: 589406

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 09:30

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 09:30
Rubbish Mountainman. We have had nothing but excellent service from them for 6 years. And the box, while expensive compared to the japanese models. it does heaps more than just show maps. It is a complete replacement for the car's stereo, DVD and video system. No issues at all.

And with it actually bolted into the dash it won't hit you in the face when you have a prang.

And the added blue tooth beats the rubbish you see in some cars. Even the wifes blue tooth thingumy needs replacing. Just like something out of a european upmarket car.

Phil
FollowupID: 857321

Reply By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:30

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:30
If you have an iPad with gps capabilities then get the hema maps app around $99 I think. You can run it in on an iPhone as well.

Don't get the cheaper Hema explorer one which is around $40 though as I reckon it is rubbish

Richard
AnswerID: 589408

Follow Up By: Member - Chippie - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:42

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:42
Have you tried anything else, how do you mount it if your on your own
FollowupID: 857312

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 03:41

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 03:41
I mounted the iPad on a pajero using clicon brackets, they don't require screws. Not cheap though but worked well.

The good thing with the iPad and other tablets is that you can also buy cheap full navigationapps fairly cheaply. I also use copilot which costs about $40

Ruchard
FollowupID: 857315

Reply By: Member - IanBBrissy - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:57

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:57
Hi Chippie,

I have a 2008 Patrol and have mounted a bracket inside the little storage box at the top of the dash pod which holds my ipad. It is very effective and easy for me to see (getting older). As mentioned opt for the $99 digital maps and not the less expensive Explorer. However, do be aware that you need to buy the expensive (top of the age) ipad to enjoy the in built GPS. The cheaper models do not have the built in GPS. Ensure you ask prior to purchase (if you go this way). With the ipad solution I not only enjoy the digital maps with GPS (which are very accurate) I can utilse the many functions of the ipad including music, video, spreadsheets, books, magazines etc.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 589411

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 08:07

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 08:07
What Ian said, Chippie.

Think the required iPad is a 3G/wifi model. GPS works well anywhere.

I've used mine in a Landcruiser ute, attached to the windscreen using a tablet mount/suction cap. iPad rests on the dash and is quite visible to both of us. However it may not pass inspection by highway patrol etc!

Above map is taken straight off iPad, and also shows tracking, if you want to save these logs. We also have a Samsung tablet, of a smaller size than the iPad, which might suit some installations better than the 10" Apple product.

The Hema HN7 is a good product too, but it can't do any of the other things, email, msg, Internet, that the tablets can.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 857317

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 22:16

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 22:16
If you are not already committed to Apple's iDevices, you will find that Android devices are cheaper and you can get stand-alone GPS in a tablet, phablet or phone without going to top-of-the-line.

I find my Android tablet (an old Samsung, now outdated by current standards) quite the bee's knees as a navigator. And as a library. And as a music store. And as a communicator (email, web browser).

For a navigator on the tablet, I use OziExplorer for Android. I find it excellent.

If you're already an iPad user there is no reason to change, but if you're not there is no reason to be channelled toward Apple's iProducts. There are worthy alternatives in the navigation field that are as good or better.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589412

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 03:19

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 03:19
Suggest you go a iPad or tablet over a double din unit
I have had both and the bigger screen is much much better and the ability to swipe around on the screen and zoom in and out is brilliant
With the double din I had to resort to paper maps for day planning but not with the iPad
I personally run an iPad with Hema app and are happy with it and also run a conventional navigator for street and blacktop work and find the two a good combo
AnswerID: 589414

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 09:10

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 09:10
Hi Chippie,
The iPad has another alternative called Memory Map. You do need the GPS version of the iPad, however. It is a free download from the Apps Store but you then have to buy the maps. It will also run on a Windows PC and on Android. When you purchase maps you can buy various licences. For example I usually buy the licence to run on two mobile devices and a PC. The complete set of Hema maps are available as well as all NSW, Vic., QLD and Tas., 1:25000 maps. The program comes with 1:250000 map of Aus. Tracks and routes can be transferred between iPad and PC.
The program does require internet access to use some of the maps, however you can "bulk download" maps so that connectivity will not be an issue. The Hema maps do not require this procedure. The program has the usual functions and in my experience will track you very accurately. It can be a little compromised in very hilly areas at times.
Overall I have been very happy with the application. I chose it over OziExplorer because having already purchased the iPad Ozi was not an option as it does not have an iPad version.
On visiting the UK last year I was able to download the UK base map which was very useful.
Of course the advantage of any mobile device is that it can be used out of the car and we all know how useful Google Maps can be.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589417

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 20:12

Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 20:12
The hema map app uses memory map software. For $99 you get as many maps as you probably need. Buying them seperately can be just as expensive as you typically buy by bundles and not individual maps , I think.
Also you get all the maps as once so no need for continual internet access.

You can also buy more detailed maps for the hema app like the memory map mentioned above.
I got the 1:25000 nsw maps.

The memory map / hema app is easier to use and learn. Oziexplorer has a bit of a learning curve but is a good product.

Richard
FollowupID: 857381

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 20:26

Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 20:26
I procrastinated about this decision for months, before son gave me an ipad excess to his needs, has gps etc . . . finally decided to go Hema 4WD Maps app and it's great.
The specialty maps cover a heap of great places (105 maps in total) but even the Aust wide 1:250k map is pretty good (this is the same as Memory Maps and others base map).

Also use Mapout for some other mapping / tracking, and the MapsME is also pretty good (and think it's available for android too) . . .

I'm a mapping program tragic (lol), besides Hema 4WD Maps, Mapout, and MapsME, also have Here Maps, PDF Maps, Memory Map, and even the little WikiCamps map is handy.

Just trying out Waze app for around town, uses location feedback form users to monitor and report on traffic snarls, and directs you most free flowing route.
AnswerID: 589473

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 13:42

Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 13:42
Although I have a HN5i and use it all the time for outback trips it is totally reliable.
However I recently bought an iPad to travel overseas with. It has so many uses associated with travel it is almost indispensable. I traveled through France, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
I used maps.me that are so good. They zoom down to street level with street names and poi's for walking or driving one way streets etc.
Maps.me are free and held on the the device and move with the GPS, wifi is not required.
As for apps at international airports you can be notified about gate changes flight delays etc. like try asking these questions if you can find someone to ask at HK international airport. All the info is in your hand.
Go the iPad... it is so versatile. You never know where you may travel next year.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589520

Follow Up By: Member - Chippie - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 22:00

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 22:00
Thanks Guys

I bought the Hema Mapps the full version, took it out the back of Lithgow, found the Glow worm Tunnel, Lost city, we even tried to get lost and used it to get back on track. We did pop out on the bitumen in the middle of a Mine to follow the road to a locked gate and we were on the inside, but it lead us to another track to get us out, hope the fine doesnt come through the mail.... Great product looking forward to using more maps...and trying to get lost again.

Chippie
FollowupID: 857508

Sponsored Links