Auto or Manual

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 19:38
ThreadID: 130066 Views:2681 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HI aLL, I'm looking at updating my 80 series cruiser to a 100 series. My question to the mob for towing a 24foot van is which is better Auto or Manual in a turbo diesel. My wife has expressed an interest in an auto, I would prefer manual. In this modern day and age is there any difference between the two, both in and performance?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 20:39

Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 20:39
Well...engines/fuel are in the equation too....for that van you need the 1hd-fte motor if going diesel (the non turbo diesel would struggle). I don't have experience on petrol in 100's. As for the trans...I towed our current 2800ATM van for 5 years with a 100 GXL turbo manual*....all doable and no issues, but all reports suggest the 5 speed auto is the ants pants for vans (there are some 4 speed auto models...much less desirable). Having towed the same van now with the 200 TD (ok...30% + power and a 6 speed auto), I can now appreciate the 'civilisation' provided for towing with auto :-). *At times, on significant slopes, we needed low range to get going in our manual...once rolling, we could shift on the fly to high range. Good luck with the research...a good 100 is a fine tug.
AnswerID: 589528

Reply By: Con_Qld - Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 21:32

Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 21:32
I towed a 3 ton van with the Landcruiser 105R 1HZJ which is the manual and while it went ok, i averaged 20-23 l/100kms.

I now have the Colorado Series 2 Auto 2.8 turbo and would not go back to manual.

Hope you find something suitable for the both of you. Cheers....
AnswerID: 589531

Reply By: Member - Patrick C1 - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 04:39

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 04:39
I previously towed a camper with 100 series 5 speed auto. The transmission has a tendency to overheat under load. If you go that way get a good temp gauge fitted, so you can keep an eye on it
AnswerID: 589536

Follow Up By: Member - neville G (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 07:14

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 07:14
Lenore,
We have a '05 T/D Auto and have towed our Phoenix (around 3t.) for over 100000ks. with no trouble at all. Have always driven manual but would not go that way again, give me auto any day. With our van we average around 20ltrs./100ks.
Cheers, Nev

FollowupID: 857451

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 07:09

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 07:09
We have a 5 speed auto and use it a lot for towing. It does it well and gives good economy if you drive to the conditions, ie don't flog it and top speed of 100 on the fwy not 110. Makes a big difference.

If it is hilly use 4 for towing which stops transmission hunting up and down and keeps the revs up a bit which it likes.

Make sure the viscous hub on the fan is working correctly as it makes a lot of difference to the cooling. Also check that the radiator is clean internally and externally,plus look for any flattened fins. Get a full service and change all the fluids including the transmission oil unless you know for sure that the services have been done right. The service log is not a guarantee as often dealers cut corners. Get the basics right and the HDJ100R 5 Spd is a great tug.
AnswerID: 589537

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 09:20

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 09:20
I had a 2005 TD FTE auto and would never go back to a manual.

However we only ever towed in 4th as you will find auto will hunt up and down in 5th and get hot unnecessarily.

We traveled at 90kph all day and car was sitting in the sweet spot as far as revs go
Also had a 24ft van

Had Auto trans oil temp gauge and apart from a couple of big hill temp didnt rise above 75deg.
Put a set of progressive springs in it and it will ride better than normal and certainly better than airbags.

Had a great run out of ours never even had a puncture in 60,000k and only parts were a pair of front shockies.
AnswerID: 589541

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 09:26

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 09:26
Forgot to say we averaged 17L per 100km over a 50,000km trip which included all towing and sightseeing. When not towing could get 10.5L per 100km at speed limit.
We changed oil at 7500k intervals and always used Penrite diesel HPR15.
Never ever had to top up between services.

If motor has a few K's make sure the tappets rattle slightly as a quiet one is likely trouble. Too loose is better than too tight.
FollowupID: 857452

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 20:45

Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 20:45
Ours is a 2006 TDA Cruiser too.
We too tow a large van (7m in total length), as well as a TVan
We had the Taipan chip & exhaust system installed and "sorted out" the restrictions in the motor.
We monitor the exhaust gas temp via a gauge positioned on the driver's side dash
We put in a much larger intercooler which we purchased from a company south of Adelaide.
It has made a huge difference to the vehicles' towing performance. About 18L/100 towing the caravan, locked back into 4th also.
Our trip over the Madigan this year was awesome

Coober Pedy to Mt Dare. ..Fuel consumption 14.6l/100kms with fully stocked cars and Tvans

758 kms From Mt Dare to Birdsville
22.5 litres/100kms

Our fuel consumption would have been better if we could lock back in all the gears.
We were in low range for nearly 10 days.

Our next purchase will most likely be the Nomad Valve Body by wholesale automatics in Melbourne. It will further assist in towing efficiency.

http://automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=4651

We have briefly toyed with the thought of upgrading to the series 3, 200 model that is coming out in October, but...the Diesel Particulate Filter is a big bucket of cold water over that one...
anyway. Back on the subject...Highly recommend the auto. Makes for much more pleasurable driving all round.

Wholesale Automatic Transmissions

My father in law...at 80 years of age has graduated to a TDA 100 series, after having a manual 80 for many years, towing his faithful Evernew van.
Until now..he was towing an illegal weight as his 80 series is only rated to tow 2500kg...his van was a minimum 3 ton...something to consider as many 80 series owners are potentially over their tow rating. Should he'd had an accident towing, he would lose the lot as insurance wouldn't cover his illegal towing weight.
We've done and have got everything on and in our 100 (within sensible parameters of course...LOL)..done 165,000 ks and have enjoyed everything about it.

Even without the bling..the TDA 100 is an awesome vehicle.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Robyn

AnswerID: 589578

Reply By: axle - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 07:16

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 07:16
Hi Leonore, I don't want to be the negative one, but some of the five speed tranmissions had a valve body problem, my 04 100s ocassionally would stay in gear and wouldn't change up, stop turn it off wait a minute and everything was back to normal,not so good when towing!. Have a look thru the Lcool Forum its been well mentioned there at times,or better still put in a post about it, you will get info about it.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 589587

Reply By: Member - Young Nomads - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 13:53

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 13:53
The last of the 100 series (ie 05/ 06 ..before the 200 came out) is your best buy. They do hold their value as they don't have any of the issues some of the earlier ones experienced.
don't be scared of an auto...they have made vast improvements over the years. You may regret sticking with a manual if you take the step of updating to a late model 100.
There are bombs out there in any vehicle, so take someone with a lot of nouse and objectivity with you when you look at the car..or even get a mechanical inspection done on it..
As others have said...the Lcool forum is a wealth of knowledge, but try to look at with objectivity as sometimes only complainers post something and can give you a false impression of it's real reliability

Lcool forum link

cheers
Robyn
AnswerID: 589599

Sponsored Links