Recreation policies State Forests and NPWS Kosciuszko

Submitted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 20:23
ThreadID: 13013 Views:2019 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,

As these concern any traveller, explorer, adventurer in Australia here are some important links.

State forests of NSW have released a new draft Recreation Policy. It actually recognises as a legitimate recreational use using the trail system in the bush and 4wd's and horses etc etc. You can read it and send your comments to SFNSW here ->
http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/policy/forestry/recreation/default.asp

NPWS have released a draft Plan of management for Kosciuszko National Park. From my first read (260 pgs!) it doesn't look good as the majority (all?) of trails will be for use by the NPWS only - their very own management trails system - NO PUBLIC ACCESS - or closed for rehabilitation.

If you want to have your say on why this is exluding you, you must do so now by making a submission!

You can download the POM and read other info on it here ->
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/Review+of+the+plan+of+management+for+Kosciuszko+National+Park

Other links:
ORP web site: http://www.orp.org.au
4wd nsw and act: http://www.4wd.org.au

Black Stump.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 20:34

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 20:34
This is probably one of the reasons why NPWS at Hurstville got a death threat today in the mail. People think that Hurstville is HQ, it's not.

Baz.
AnswerID: 59323

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 22:33

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 22:33
Privately owned State Forests and locked up National Parks - start selling your 4WD's now before there worth '0' !
AnswerID: 59348

Follow Up By: Michael - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:43

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:43
Hey Colin, there's more to life than State Forests and National Parks, Australians have there own continent to explore. I dont know if you have been to Europe. In Germany , Munchen, all the city people crowd to the main park on the weekend, you have to see it to believe it. like sardines to have a picnic, there is hardly enough room to sit down, It's the same in every major city in Europe. In Hong Kong they go to the Peak on the island by public transport, there is nowhere else to go. I really don't think many people here, know how good we have it. Yes we should keep up the fight to keep what we can open but we cant complain.. Best regards Michael
FollowupID: 321026

Follow Up By: Black Stump - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 11:43

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 11:43
Michael, I hear what your saying but don't think for a second things will stay as they are now. Once one area is locked up...it's onto the next or previous locked up areas are expanded...a bit here a bit more there.

It's going on constantly by the NPWS and the POMs (plans of management) they release and approve. They release POMS for all National Parks...well known and not so well known.

Remember even many deserts are National Parks...not just bush and beaches.

And yes this is a GREAT country to call home!!

regards
Black Stump.
FollowupID: 321051

Reply By: Member - Michael- Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 10:09

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 10:09
I seems that NPWS haven't changed their thinking, I was working up at Smiggins Holes back in the 1970's building ski lodges and remember talking to one of their rangers who told me that even back then if NPWS had their way there would be NO ski lodges anywhere within the Kosciosko NP.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 59390

Reply By: Rob W. - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 10:17

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 10:17
colin,
you can sell yours if you want, but I ain,t sellin mine.
Too many people seem to have a "defeatist" attitude.
We MUST stand together and fight these closures, through your local 4WD clubs, contacting local and relevant state MP,s & NPWS. Let them know that we won't cop it. We are involved in a legitimate recreational activity that has many benefits to communities in the areas we "explore" .
I will be responding to the state forests and the NPWS documents and I encourage others to have a look at them and let them know what you think.
Sure we can do nothing........but the only 4WDing you'll be doing is negotiating the speed humps in the city...minus bullbars.

Regards
Rob
AnswerID: 59391

Follow Up By: Black Stump - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 11:20

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 11:20
Rob is spot on. We must be united and stand up for ourselves. We should all make individual submissions in addition to the club and association submissions. It is important that everyone responds to these plans of management...to do nothing and lay down quietly is being DEFEATIST and plays right into the hands of those that want to lock up the parks.

We must fight which means we must make an EFFORT.

....and I a'int selling my 4wd either!!

regards
Black Stump.
FollowupID: 321042

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 15:27

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 15:27
I as always have a simple solution... I never let a locked gate stop me...I have my own lock which has CofA stamped on it... simply pick the lock and close the gate behind you making sure you put you own lock in the daisy chain...
AnswerID: 59425

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 17:36

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 17:36
I'll bite, what do's CoFA stand for Rick
FollowupID: 321097

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 17:42

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 17:42
Commonwealth of Australia.... even the most determined Ranger will pause & reflect when they see it... & I have no reason why.. but they do...
FollowupID: 321098

Reply By: Charlie - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 18:04

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 18:04
As far as I can see there are no further roads closures than are currently “officially” in force. There are obviously many roads that are ungated and which we currently use because National Parks turn a blind eye I guess, luckily never been challenged by the rangers. I think we need to take a positive attitude to this and if your favourite track is officially closed you need to make reasonable submissions as to why it should be opened, although if its in a wildness area don’t waste your ink, there no hope of access.

Regards Charlie
AnswerID: 59441

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 19:10

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 19:10
THanks for the info, I have just finished a few paragraphs as a submission. I agree, it is important that individuals respond.
I also think it's important to give positive reasons as to why access should be allowed.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 59448

Reply By: snowman - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:42

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:42
You can complain long and hard to the NPS (National Parks Servive which it is called now) and nothing will ever change. The only way to change things is to tell the politcians what you want or you wont vote for them.
AnswerID: 59477

Follow Up By: Charlie - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:47

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 17:47
I would normally agree but with Kosi NPS have come under intense and well organised pressure from users who are totally fed up with more and more restrictions.I think we have a real chance of having Parks listen to the average user this time around.
Charlie
FollowupID: 321227

Follow Up By: snowman - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:54

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 21:54
I live in the snowy mountains and know many NPS staff. Despite popular belief the majority are normal people like you and I. They too would like to have more access to ride horses, go 4wding etc. They don't have enough staff or money to manage the park now. If the government would put the money it receives from the gate takings to Kosci. back into it instead of using it to finance the other parks in NSW we might have a chance of gaining great access.
FollowupID: 321254

Sponsored Links