first unregistered camper trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 19:50
ThreadID: 130158 Views:2552 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Question, iv bought a camper trailer from my father-in-law who lives in QLD but I live in WA. Now the camper has been unregistered longer than 3 months and will be arriving by
Truck next week, now being unregistered for so long is it just a matter of going over pits and licensing under my name or does it need a name transfer?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:30

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:30
why don,t you ask the main roads dept or who ever you pay ur rego to
u will have to deal with them at some stage ??
AnswerID: 589871

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:33

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:33
Hi Troy,
If the trailer still has a Qld plate still on it ,just return the plate to the WA licencing people wherever you live. return them in the FIL's name. Retain this receipt

Then with the receipt from the previous owner to show proof of ownership take it to be relicensed (over the pit etc).

Receipts have been known to be created to solve this problem if there is no receipt from the original owner. Technically this is illegal but the chances of getting caught are slim if everything else is above board BUT there is a risk.

If there are any hassles with that documentation my advice is to write up a "StatutoryDeclaration" (aka Stat Dec) setting out the situation of how you purchased it unlicensed from your FIL in Qld and giving all his details and all your details too. Take this legal doc to the licencing place when you take the trailer over the pits.

Good Luck with it.

AnswerID: 589872

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:35

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:35
PS That's how I did it with a car from SA into WA.

FollowupID: 857855

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:38

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 20:38

Check with dept transport, but I think there is no rego to transfer so you will just need to register in WA.
As far as going over the pits it has changed in recent years where this is done by private businesses. You just need to get a road worthy cer, or similar.

What you will need to get for licensing is proof of ownership. You will need to check but I have used previously a letter, statement from previous owner.

AnswerID: 589873

Reply By: twitchdup - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 21:03

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 21:03
Thankyou all for responding, yes the plate is still on the trailer so I will give that a go, I can also get him to fax a letter thru.
AnswerID: 589874

Follow Up By: twitchdup - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 21:10

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 21:10
Also few years ago when I sold my two unregistered cars it was just hand over cash, hand over keys and all done, no transfer papers or anything
FollowupID: 857856

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 21:37

Tuesday, Sep 01, 2015 at 21:37
WA Registration laws.
AnswerID: 589876

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 10:11

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 10:11
Most W.A. registered vehicles that have been unregistered for longer than 3 months, needs to be inspected again.
Most vehicles being transferred to W.A. registration from another States jurisdiction need to be inspected.

However - vehicle inspection procedures in W.A. have been relaxed in recent years.
There is now a "minor inspection" process involved for numerous categories. The rules are listed in the link below;

W.A. vehicle and trailer "Minor Inspection" rules

Any vehicle being transferred to W.A. registration from any State or country, and which involves a change of ownership, requires filling out myriad forms, to try and ensure that you are not a thief or scammer, and that you are the rightful owner, and have the right to transfer ownership to your name.

The two main forms required to be filled in are declaration form VL17 (this form requires you to provide all details of the purchase, backed by documentation).
If you have inadequate sale documentation, you will be required to state such things as where you saw the vehicle advertised, where it was located when you purchased it, phone numbers and addresses of the seller and buyer, plus anything else the Director of Transport requires, that ensures there is no scamming going on.

The second main form required to be filled in is VL186, Proof of Identity form. This is little different from the same POI required for opening bank accounts, etc.
The authorities need to confirm you are, who you say you are.

In essence, the process is simple enough, as long as you are armed with EVERY relevant piece of information, backed by documentation, that ensures there is a verifiable trail of ownership.
Casual ownership changes of a vehicle between relatives, NEED to be backed by a receipt/invoice containing the sale details, the date, the cost of the vehicle, and signed by the seller and buyer.

DoTWA is a very large and cumbersome organisation charged with the transfer of ownership of mutliple thousand of vehicles a day.
They need to ensure that criminals aren't infiltrating the Motor Vehicle Licencing database and creating havoc by re-birthing, theft and outright fraud.
Provide everything they ask for, and back it up with reliable paper evidence, and you won't have to keep going back and waiting in their interminable queues to get served again. (Hint - a regional licencing centre is usually far less congested than any of the metro centres).

Cheers, Ron.

DoTWA vehicle transfer process
AnswerID: 589884

Reply By: twitchdup - Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 09:36

Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 09:36
Thank you all very much. I got him to fill out the vl 17 form and he also wrote out a reciept with full details, price, adress, numbers etc etc .......
look forward to it arriving on wednesday/thursday and licensing then off to kalbarri.
thanks again.
AnswerID: 589999

Sponsored Links