For a softer ride - change shocks, springs or both?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 22:19
ThreadID: 13016 Views:3095 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

J and I are currently running 2" OME heavy duty springs and shocks, but have found the ride a bit too harsh.

On advice from ARB, we were going to change the shocks for the OME comfort set. We were told that this would allow the springs more room to travel, and subsequently take the impact out of the ride.

Is this advice correct?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 22:32

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 22:32
I think it's a bit of both really as the spring has to take the load and the shock has to control the spring. I would change the springs. Recently my bro in law had soft rear springs that saged under load so he go 200kg OME springs and sagged no more. Still has same shocks! (i realise you are after the opposite!)

Leroy
AnswerID: 59347

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 23:11

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 23:11
By the look of your rig I wouldn't change anything. Just make sure that when you get off the black stuff that you air down your tyres to suit the surface. For example when I get onto corrugated dirt roads I go down to 28psi. On rougher bush tracks down to 25psi. Just be careful you don't travel too quickly (ie above 80km) when you do this.
AnswerID: 59353

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 23:28

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 23:28
Brett Im running similar OME and my ride is not much different to standard on road (yet to try some serious offroad).Main advantage has been no sag at rear
and no rear axel tramp on corrigations - if thats the right terminology. Nissan 2.8 GU.
Tyre pressures can make a big difference to ride and I find 32PSI to be a good all round setting though wear indicates they are slightly under ideal pressure - BFG-AT
My question is what pressures are you running and if closer to 40PSI try a lower pressure and compare ride.

I remember test driving a new 4.2GU which was as rough as guts and asking the salesman if they ever check tyre pressures? didn,t get a reply but it certainly put me off on the day.

Cheers
Bob L

AnswerID: 59356

Reply By: tour boy - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:27

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:27
G'day, try foam cell shocks they work more on the rebound so much softer and after having 6 sets on different vehicles 40, 60, 70, and 80 series cruisers I will never go back to gas.
AnswerID: 59380

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:32

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:32
I have just travelled this route.
Started with 981 rear springs on my GU 3.0 litre,and comfort shocks.
The ride was most uncomfortable as the rear seemed to thump down hard until the shocks valving stopped it.
I went to an ARB agent and he said the springs were to weak (rear cupboards,fridge ,spares etc)we upgraded to 981 and fitted firm setting shocks.
I was still not happy with the (slightly improved) ride result.
The agent tested the truck and said it was the best you would get on that model,and on my enquiry said you could not use the comfort shocks on the new springs.
Not satisfied,I rang ARB head office and they said you can use the comfort shock on the rear, right through the spring range.(but not on the front,use only with lightest range of springs).
With this information I retained the heavier springs and refitted the comfort shocks.
Now very satisfied, the springs flex over a greater range which cushions the bumps more,I still have the heavier load capacity with a acceptable ride.
This exercise has cost me a great deal,having effectively bought two suspensions to get the result.
Any one wanting a almost new set of comfort front,firm rear long travel shocks,or 980 medium springs know who to contact.
Best of luck
AnswerID: 59382

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 13:26

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 13:26
Hi Fourstall2000,

May be interested in your springs and shocks. Can you email me on
"mpeacock at bigpond dot net dot au".

I am chasing a softer road for daily driving, but plan to add rear airbags when loaded to take the weight of my van and gear. Hence the "soft" springs and shocks may suit when teamed up with airbags.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 321064

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 14:07

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 14:07
Brett - yes softer shockies will reduce ride harshness. The springs are most likely linear and so irrespective of laden or unladen ccondition the ride will not change much. If you want a soft ride when unladen I suspect you really need the progressive springs where they get firmer the more weight you add. But try the shockie option first as it may be enough for you.
AnswerID: 59416

Sponsored Links