Extended Warranty

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:16
ThreadID: 130174 Views:3025 Replies:10 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hello Folks,

Just about to put a deposit on a new vehicle. Have been offered extended warranty out to 7 years/200,000kms. Standard warranty is 3 years/100,000.

No idea of additional cost as yet, but on a previous vehicle, we took out an extended warranty and the only claim we made was for a new AM/FM head unit. And as I recall, they were a little reluctant to cough up for that!

Thanks,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:25

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:25
if you do just be absolutely sure that's it's a fair dinkum factory extended warranty and not a dealer warranty
AnswerID: 589921

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:37

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:37
Would be a factory warranty, Wicket.

Perhaps if it covered CRD issues, it might be a good purchase? However, I doubt that would be the case.

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857918

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:31

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:31
Bob

I would suggest you read the small print as well, a lot of them are not transferable so if you are not sure if you will keep it past the expiry of the standard warranty it will not add any benefit to any future owner.

Alan
AnswerID: 589923

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:41

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 11:41
Good point, Alan.

At this stage, this vehicle will be a "whole of life" purchase, to transport me into my twilight years. However there's always a chance it might go to a family member, if I drop my marbles. :-)

Better do some reading,

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857919

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:09

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 12:09
Hi Bob,The only thing that I have concerns with are the service intervals,ie if you go a few days,weeks over their stated time/mileage ,that leaves them an out ,what if you are in the middle of Woop Woop when it is due ,and some will not do it earlier ,due to resetting the speedo ,and I guess it is guaranteed work for their service dept.In this day and age I believe vehicles are good for a lot more miles/ kms than what they used to be
Anyhow enjoy your new vehicle
John
AnswerID: 589925

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 13:43

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 13:43
Thanks John.

Not au fait with the latest servicing requirements, and these "capped service charges". No doubt it will be a steep learning curve?

Nearest dealer is 180kms away so think I'll be dealing locally, or eventually doing most services myself.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857926

Follow Up By: Simon C7 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:06

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:06
Yes...check out the servicing requirements. I just purchased a new Holden Trax and was offered/ got the 5 year warranty. I upfront asked him on the issues with getting the capped price services done...he said I won't bul bleep you....they have to be done with in a few days of being due, or all bets are off. Also time base....eg every 9 months no matter if you reach the 15000km mark or not. Went through the service department during the handover, and she said the next service ( after the 1st 1000 km check over) is due 9 months from today. I think myself they are good value ( knowing what dealers are like), and it may give somebody a warm fuzzy feeling down the track if/when we sell. Any way I know and accept it....just check it out for your self.

Simon
FollowupID: 857945

Reply By: Slow one - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 14:46

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 14:46
Bob,
right or wrong I decided against extended warranty. There were just to many restraints for me. Time will tell if I stuffed up.

I don't know if yours is similar but things that shooed me away were the fact I had to get it serviced at the dealer I got the warranty at. Now, I could get it serviced at another dealer if I was away but when home I had to use our local dealer and they just don't inspire any faith in me at all and their pricing is very high. Mine is just out of warranty and the dealer service for my kilometres is $495, I got it serviced with a firm I trust, their price was $350 which included new air filter and brake system flush and replace.

I know what you mean about the common rail, especially the time it could take to fault find a crook sensor or even narrow it down to the actual fault.

I know the extended warranty for mine was about $2500. As said check the fine print and see what the extend warranty covers and any limitations.

Come on, are you going to give a hint as to what vehicle you are looking at.
AnswerID: 589928

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:47

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:47
Ha ha, wondered if someone would ask, Slow.

Getting a Landcruiser GXL single cab with GVM Upgrade. First new vehicle for 33 years, and probably be our last too. Driven new utes while still working, and even one or two new 909's, but this will be different.

Probably fit an extra fuel filter and try and be aware of fuel input, where possible.

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857940

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:33

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:33
Good one Bob and I hope it serves you well. Your fuel consumption should be pretty good being an old time pedaler.

The vehicle should serve you well as they are an well established platform, even if they are a tad short of a 909. You just have to sprinkle water on your new jigger and it may outstrip that little Kenny.

My current vehicle is the first new one I have ever owned. They say crime doesn't pay but I am looking into that to see where I went wrong.

Enjoy.

FollowupID: 857946

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 16:27

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 16:27
Bob
I did not take it on my last purchase as a requirement of the warranty was that the dealer did all of the servicing

That wasn't going to happen for me
AnswerID: 589932

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:45

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:45
That's the most usual catch. By the time you've paid for stealership servicing over the EW period, you've paid the equivalent of the maximum benefit under the policy anyway.

Also many of these are actually from a third party organisation - the stealership gets a commission of course - and successfully claiming is about as likely as winning lotto on anything they can weasel out of.

FollowupID: 857939

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:58

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:58
With the travel involved with servicing, it would become an expensive exercise for us, Alby. Plus the cost of "buying" the EW into the bargain.

Thanks Alby 'n Zippo,

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857943

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:55

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:55
Alby, is that for all the warranty period or just for the term of extended warrany after the original one runs out ? - just curious
FollowupID: 857948

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:45

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:45
In my case I told them it was no deal unless they struck out that clause, which they somewhat reluctantly did.
FollowupID: 857953

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:57

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:57
Scott I don't recall to be honest, I was not that interested as I don't like dealer servicing regardless.

Rather use a proper mechanic.
FollowupID: 857956

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 23:50

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 23:50
Scott, when I was in that situation nearly two years ago it was for both the manufacturer's and extended warranty periods.
FollowupID: 857963

Reply By: Tim F3 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 17:01

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 17:01
As far as i am aware you can have your vehicle serviced by any licensed mechanic ,there is no requirement to use a specific dealer for servicing.

On my last patrol i took extended warrenty ( bought the vehicle one month prior to original warrenty was due to expire ).Had a number of warrenty repairs.

All servicing was done by local mechanic, warrenty repairs were completed at nissan dealership, this is the same as an original manufacturers warrenty on a new vehicle.

All the best.
AnswerID: 589936

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:56

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 18:56
That is correct for standard warranty but they are not bound to the same rules if they want to offer extended warranty and it can be conditional
Part of the reason they stipulate the dealer has to do the servicing is to generate income not to expose themselves to more warranty liability
FollowupID: 857942

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 01:21

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 01:21
Hi There,
I have a Single cab 2013 GXl which I bought in Rockhampton. I now live in a small place called Morven. Nearest Toyota dealer is Roma (188k's). There is a place in Charleville (90k's) that has a Toyota workshop, but he is not a dealer.
I rang the Toyota Dealer in Rochkampton and asked if it be ok to have my car serviced by the guy in Charleville as it is 110k's closer. I was told I could, but, as I was on still on the capped service pricing, I would not get the capped service price, unless it was done through a Dealer. They advised me to book into the Dealer in Roma, as it was the 40,000 service which is a big one, I went to Roma to have it done.

As for as Extended Warranty's, type "toyota dealers qld" into Google and have a look how many there are in West Qld.Roma, St. George, Thargomindah, Longreach and Mt. Isa. Not a real lot in Wa either.
Extended Warranty could be a bit of an issue for people who live in out back towns, if they had to travel so far to have their vehicles serviced.
Cheers
FollowupID: 857964

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 19:35

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 19:35
Gday Bob,
Do your own servicing from new.
Don't worry about warranty - it is not worth the angst.
The V8 Toyotas are well sorted now.
My 200 series was 2012 build has never been back to the dealer and have had zero problems. Very happy I didn't take up the $210 dealer servicing because it would have cost me a day every 6 months and I may have been dissatisfied with the quality of work as I am a bit picky. So my vehicle gets the good factory filters and the synthetic 5W30 oil so all is good.
AnswerID: 589944

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:17

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:17
Appreciate your comments, Phil.

Apart from some gearbox/diff problems with a couple of 2000 model Landcruisers(on station vehicles), have never had a major warranty dramas.

Been driving them since 1965 so have seen a vast improvement in the vehicles over the years, so am sure this new one won't let us down. There's plenty of them about our area now, and the 6 cyl models seem to be rapidly disappearing.

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857950

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:57

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 20:57
interesting that the toyota extended warranty is actually an insurance product.
have a read herehttp://www.toyota.com.au/finance/insurance/warranty and then read the 'need more details?' on the right hand side of the page
AnswerID: 589953

Follow Up By: Tim F3 - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:49

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 21:49
Further to my earlier reply the toyota extended warrenty DOES NOT stipulate that servicing must be done by a toyota dealership.....it specifies "in accordance with manufacturers reccomendations" so a licenced mechanic meets the requirements...

all the best
FollowupID: 857954

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 06:29

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 06:29
Yes, I've had "dealer factory extended warranty" on a new car and it was actually an Allianz insurance product. Extended warranty claims had to go through them. I never got dealer services, my local mechanic stamped the book and I never had any dramas claiming. Mine was a Land Rover and I suppose it may vary brand to brand and what you are claiming for.
FollowupID: 857965

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 07:01

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 07:01
Tim there may be two different products out there because mine specifically did which is why I did not take it up
FollowupID: 857966

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 18:55

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 18:55
Bob, depending on the cost, I'd say an extended warranty on a proven product like the Tojo you're buying is pretty much a waste of money.
Remember that Australian Consumer Law states that warranty claims are not limited to the manufacturers warranty limit period - but that warranty claims can be made outside the time limit, if it is proven the fault was poor workmanship, poor manufacturing quality, or the big catch-all - "goods not fit for purpose".
As someone who has bought hundreds of vehicles, machines, and equipment over more than 50 years, I can assure you that I've have got "factory" faults fixed at no cost or low cost to me, on many vehicles and machines, even when they were well out of warranty.
Sometimes you have to do a bit of roaring and get right up managerial peoples noses - but 99% of the time, manufacturers will come to the party, even if they just make an offer to cost-share the repair.
It's all about "reasonable expectations" - and if the motor blows in your GXL at 4 yrs old and with moderate kms, anyone with reasonable expectations would expect Toyota to come to the party with either a new motor, or at least compensation on a pro-rata repair cost basis.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 589987

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 08:29

Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 08:29
Thanks Ron,

Have a lot of faith in their product, so not really concerned about potential dramas.

And as the $$$$$'s for the purchase have come out of my coffers, it's not likely to be used for checking fences, chasing brumbies or bumping a reluctant bovine back into the mob. Pretty sure Herself was laying down some driving rules the other day too, but I couldn't hear what she said. :-)

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857990

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 13:29

Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 13:29
Thanks everyone, for your thoughts and experiences.

Expecting delivery about the end of this month, so hope I can contain my excitement till then. :-)

Not planning any trips at this stage, but might do a run across to the coast to show the young grandson. He likes anything with an internal combustion engine!

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 590004

Sponsored Links