Central Arnhem Highway

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 13:43
ThreadID: 130176 Views:2413 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I was thinking of heading to Nhulunbay at the end of September. Has anyone done this route?

Basically i don't fish but Nhulunbay looked like a nice place to check out for a bit while travelling, i was wondering if this is the case or if it's more of a place to go and fish or live? If i went there for a week would there be plenty to do and see (nature/camping wise) or would it be more relaxing as it's quite remote?

Also does anyone have any experience of the central arnhem highway at this time of year? For example are there any stop offs to stay at on the way or is the road just a means to an end? I'm having trouble finding out this information and if there are stops where you can see things (maybe because there aren't really?).

Also, my car doesnt have a snorkel - I'm guessing in september the water levels will be low enough that it will just a case of calling in advance for any unseasonal rain that may have had an impact?

Thanks for any help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 16:23

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 16:23
I think you will find that a permit is required for Arnhem land
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 589931

Follow Up By: Martyn J - Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 17:26

Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 17:26
Hi mechpete,

Thanks, I have applied for a permit just now actually as i know they take a while. I'm hoping it comes through without issues and will purchase recreation permits when in Nhulunbay if all goes well.

Thanks
FollowupID: 857937

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 19:42

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 19:42
Lirrwi and Dhimuru issue permits to different spots one you get up there... Book ahead to avoid disappointment.
AnswerID: 589989

Reply By: blackmg - Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 08:44

Saturday, Sep 05, 2015 at 08:44
Martyn J

We travelled into Nulumbuy a few years back, road only just opened late June and we found the road fine, just watch for small wash outs if it hasn't been graded.

The permit from the NLC only allows you to travel on the Central Arnhem Hwy and does say no o/night stops and no caravans.

We travelled from Mataranka to Manoru Store and stayed the night there, as there is a little van park behind the store (nice couple running place).We left our van there and tented for the time in Nulumbuy

That left us around 550km the next day, we left at 6am and arrive around 4pm.
There is a couple of quarry areas along the way that I believe some people stop over at.

When you arrive you must purchase other permits to allow you to move around the area, Nulumbuy is on leased land and the permit you get from NLC allows you to get to the town only.
We stayed at Walkabout Lodge which is in town and has limited tent/camper sites available.
When we were there you had get a permit also to allow you to purchase/drink takeaway alcohol at your camp site (even when camp at the lodge)
We spent 6 days there and there is some nice spots to see
Cheers Gary
AnswerID: 589997

Follow Up By: Martyn J - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:30

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:30
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information. I received my permit today and I'm not sure if the rules have changed but it only specifies no camping at Goyder river. I think we may be able to at designated areas but will check with the Northern Land Council.

Thanks for the information, i will try and stop off for breaks if there's anything to see. From what i am reading (echoed by you) is once i get to Nhulunbuy just buy all my permits for the things I'd like to do and see and travel out from there.

Thanks
FollowupID: 858074

Sponsored Links