GU Patrol 3.0 Manual gearbox issues

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 03, 2015 at 22:19
ThreadID: 130181 Views:3035 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hey guys, im looking at buying a GU turbo diesel patrol. It is cheap however has a leaking rear main seal. I believe the oil has leaked out of the manual gearbox. It does drive but it is a little more difficult than usual to select gears (particularly first)
Im thinking about buying it because it is cheap, and im hoping i can get the rear main seal fixed, fill it with transmission fluid and the gear shifting issue will go away.

Do you guys think that's possible, or is the gearbox more than likely permanantly damaged? Hard question i know :)

Ryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 04:44

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 04:44
Ryan, has the gear box got any fluid in it atm? If not, it will be very difficult to shift gears........ If the gear box is kerred, fairly easy to buy a second hand one and replace it. Replace clutch while you are at it, (Not with the standard dual mass one), then depending on the year model, standby for detonation............ The vehicle would want to be very, very cheap. Good luck
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589960

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 08:03

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 08:03
G'day Ryan,

The rear main seal has nothing to do with the gearbox. The rear main seal is where the crankshaft pokes out of the back of the engine block.
This is likely to be a big job.
If the gearbox has no oil in it, it will be extremely difficult to change gears, if the gearstick has not seized. More likely the synchros have worn out, causing a grinding sound as you go up and down the gears.
The solution is to either recondition the existing gearbox, or go for an exchange unit.
AnswerID: 589965

Follow Up By: 939 - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 10:25

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 10:25
thanks for the advice, so if there is no transmission oil, what could be the cause of the leak? if the rear main is bad, it would only leak engine oil, right?
FollowupID: 857975

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 12:10

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 12:10
Yup, if the rear main is bad, it would only leak engine oil.
If there is no transmission oil, could be any number of things, from a leaky drive shaft seal, dunno if they have a similar problem to Toyota, where the gearbox oil escaped into the transfer case or not, right up to a crack in the gearbox casing.

You would have to examine it yourself, or get a trusted mechanic to have a look.
Maybe get it gone over by your motoring association, RACQ, RACV etc, they should be able to give you a good indication pre-purchase.

HTH
FollowupID: 857977

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 11:18

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 11:18
They are prone for syncro and main shaft issues, around $1500 to replace + labour.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589973

Reply By: Slow one - Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 12:52

Friday, Sep 04, 2015 at 12:52
Ryan,
if the vehicle has been neglected badly enough that the box has little oil, then you can bet the rest of the vehicle has been treated the same. Myself, I would stay well away from it.
AnswerID: 589977

Reply By: mack c - Sunday, Sep 06, 2015 at 03:28

Sunday, Sep 06, 2015 at 03:28
GU/Patrol boxes are probaly the strongest one out there. apart from a badly designed lay (5th gear Fine spline) shaft a few yrs ago. Soon rectified by Nissan.
They have a lot less problems that Toyota specially in the running gear.
BUT if that area neglected. Probably the rest is too.
Mine was a '02. towed 3ton + offroad caravan all over for no maint costs only servicing oils and tyres .
solid flywheel Safari Clutch. Chip Snorkel Exhaust etc etc. Full Synth oils.
never missed a beat and running better when I sold it than when new.

You can get a GOOD early GU for under $8 grand.
I'd leave that one alone.
and the exploding falacy was only with early models pre '01 and well rectified by now.

Another waaay underrated one is the TD5 Disco. with full service logs a great off roader and best for on road comfort by a long way.
I just went over the West and bought a beauty for my daughter. set up for touring. 320k on clock.
drove back to QLD (retired. plenty of time) and it smoooooth as. $6 grand with new tyres on it.
Another $5.5k with rebuild motor and new ECU.
If you wanting wheels as well as bush bashing. they not bad.
Bush bashing.
A patrol GQ/GU. Petrol or diesel
4.8ltr, needs it's own tanker behind but great donk and cheap as, then some.
Just for bashing a great tool.

I prefer the GQ had both, but GU more civilised. Q just "looks" better.
AnswerID: 590026

Follow Up By: mack c - Sunday, Sep 06, 2015 at 03:31

Sunday, Sep 06, 2015 at 03:31
Sorry

"another, FOR $5.5k" etc.
FollowupID: 858033

Sponsored Links