Tyre Selection

Submitted: Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 13:18
ThreadID: 130211 Views:2014 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have a 2002 Jackaroo, my 2nd over many years. This one currently has Bridgestone Dueler A/T 694 which apparently is superseded by 697. They have been ok, but I have always have Kumhos on my old Hackaroo. Been doing the old review on Kumhos, Coopers, Bridgestone and now have been recommended Toyo Open Country AT ll. As per all reviews some give 5 stars and then there are horror stories from others. Has anyone had the Toyos or should I stick with the Bridgestone I have at the moment that has taken me to Birdsville and back without any problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:33

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:33
Spoky
I use both Bridgestone AT LT and Toyo - Open Country and M55s. I rate both brands highly based on ~200 000 kms of use.
Regarding bad reviews, I always look to see whether they are a small minority or prevalent. If the former I ignore them as they could well be more of an indicator re the driver - not driving to conditions, over loading, excessive speed, poor attention to pressures, rev head, etc
Good luck with your choice
Andrew
AnswerID: 590083

Follow Up By: Spocky - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:50

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:50
Thanks Andrew,

I think I will go with them. I've had Toyos on my wife's Commodore several times and can't complain at all with them. Just got a quote from Kmart for $185 each which I think is a good deal and as you said there is more good reports on them than bad. I agree the driver is a big factor.

Thanks again Garry.
FollowupID: 858076

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 18:59

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 18:59
Spocky, Sensitive subject this one, in fact tyres seem to be up there with religion. I am running Coopers at the moment but the Bridgestone 697 are a good tyre. I have had two sets of Bridgestone Duelers they have excellent grip and tread pattern but seem to be just about done at around the 55,000km mark. In saying that they are a good all-round AT tyre. Your right about the reviews for every 4 glowing reports there will be the one review that absolutely slams the brand. I have a mate travelling across the top at the moment for the last 6 months and he commented the Bridgestone Dueler's seem to be a popular tyre.
Regards Will
AnswerID: 590096

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 22:26

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 22:26
I've never had trouble with Kumho's before my current set of KL78 A/T's 285 x 75 x 16 are nearly 5 yrs old and have 94,000 km on them and still have 5 to 6 mm left before they reach the tread wear indicator. I have them on a twin cab GQ which is constantly around 2.6 ton in weight I have be very happy with their wear rates and grip. I'll change them sometime soon because they are starting to loose a bit of grip in the wet on my ute other than that they're an excellent tyre.
AnswerID: 590108

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 07:12

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 07:12
Hi Spocky

Like many drivers, I have tried many tyre brands over the and seem to come back to one brand.

In June this year we headed up to the Gulf Country from South Australia, and covered more than 6000 kilometres of classic outback roads, including the Birdsville Track, Sananah Way, many unnamed out of the way Queensland dirt roads and the Strezelecki Track.

We have been on these tracks before, but this time towing our Ultimate Camper. Any dirt road travel saw us drop tyre pressure by a minimum of 20% and 2 psi lower on the camper over the car..

The Camper was running BFG A/T and the Prado Bridgestone A/T 697, ( both in LT Construction). At the end of the trip, I came away very disappointed with the BFG tyres.
The reason being is that the Brisgestone came home with not one mark on the tyre, yet the BFG came home just like the old Coopers of a few years back, with tread blocks quite badly chipped, which I would never have thought would have happened.

The Ultimate in a very light camper to town and speed over any dirt road was never the case, as when we drop tyre pressures on dirt roads, we never go over 80 kph.

Based on how the BFG were damaged compared to the Bridgestone 697, I would not be giving them a chance on the Prado, and now can not wait for them to wear down so I can put the Bridgestone on the Ultimate.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590113

Reply By: Spocky - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 10:14

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 10:14
Thanks Gents,

Appreciate your feedback.
AnswerID: 590118

Sponsored Links