the most stubbornest peewee 50 ever

Submitted: Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 18:06
ThreadID: 130218 Views:2031 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I don't know if its a peewee or y zinger coz its a 1980's model, I bought it not running, replaced every electrical part on it, rebuilt the top end, put a new carb on it with a new airfilter box and still no go, iv had it running all of three times after all the new parts went on, it ran fine and didn't want to die after about 4 and a half million kicks and each time it started it seemed like a freak thing (out of the blue) it also ran backwards but the rear tyre and the flywheel spin in the rite direction when kicked, I'm at my wits end with this thing, the flywheel seems a tad worn but I don't know if that's it, I checked the reeds n they seem OK (couldn't notice any damage) and checked the kickstarter (it cost me the atf that was in it but proberbly needed to b changed anyway) but that was fine to, I'm so far in the hole with this bike it would be worth more to us to keep it rather than sell it, I just want it to start first kick so my young bloke can get started, I think I need a miracle with this bike but it must b something simple
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 19:58

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 19:58
G'day Anthony,
Hmm, more info needed, is it two stroke or four stroke, what make?
Stators can go bad at that age, I have replaced the stator in my '85 Honda XL600.
What type of ignition does it have? A points system or CDI?

Another thing is carby, was it brand new? or new secondhand? There could be some blocked passages in the carby, or jetted differently.

Regards
AnswerID: 590098

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 20:52

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 20:52
I have a long distant memory of these having a points ignition system ...and...guess where they are........
Yep ...in behind the flywheel...so a flywheel puller tool is required to get at them. the flywheel is a tight fit because it is on a taper....so my alarm bells went off when you said it is a bit loose..coz as well as being on a taper ...there is also a keyway as well.
I would imagine that points are still available for these....so don't even muck about with the original set...just replace them. It isn't worth the trouble to get at them to try and fiddle with old points.

HTH.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858103

Follow Up By: Phil 23 - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 19:55

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 19:55
It's a 2 stroke if it's got reed valves.
Possible issue is worn crankshaft seals allowing it to suck air, particularly the ignition side that's not wet with oil.

Common point of failure with age in 2 strokes.
You mentioned rebuilding the top end, but nothing about the bottom.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 858155

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 21:53

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 21:53
Not necessarily Phil, some of the earlier Honda 600's had reed valves in the head.
FollowupID: 858162

Reply By: greg m25 - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 21:41

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 21:41
Keiths onto it. loose fly wheel, worn crankshaft key, crankshaft seals leaking.
AnswerID: 590105

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 08:19

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 08:19
Those things never went first go even in the 80's. They were at every school fete and show. Of a possible 10 only about 3 would go at any one time! With no clutch and no power they couldn't rev enough for a 2 stroke and gummed up all the time.
AnswerID: 590115

Reply By: anthony d11 - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 12:01

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 12:01
All parts that went on it are brand new, I have a flywheel puller and the stator is brand new, the key on the shaft is perfectly in tact, the flywheel isn't loose its a bit worn, where do I find the crankshaft seal and if it is buggered would the bike have any chance of starting at all coz iv had it running a couple of times, thanks for the reply's
AnswerID: 590125

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 19:45

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 19:45
The crankshaft seals are on either side of crankcase...one side behind stator...the other between crankcase and clutch..ie...in gearbox. If the dry one is stuffed (behind stator) ...it will suck air causing a very lean mixture...which will make it hard to start. The one on the other side will suck gearbox oil in ...causing heaps of smoke and a fowled plug. To check the dry one ...squirt some gear oil around crankshaft...and try and start it quick like...as the oil will run away fairly quickly. Now I,m not sure how to replace seals ...as I have never done any....but I would imagine that it could be a crankcase split to do it.

HTH n good luck.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858153

Follow Up By: Phil 23 - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 19:58

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 19:58
Good answer Keith,

I should have read down further before my post...
FollowupID: 858156

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 21:12

Tuesday, Sep 08, 2015 at 21:12
Hi

If it runs backwards ignition timing is out a bit - i.e. spark plug fires when piston is not far enough up on stroke (so gets shot backwards and keeps running). Seen it before - pretty funny. Solution varies and cant help.

Specific reason for being hard to start is also difficult to diagnose from information provided, many possibilities, could be related to above. Good luck.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590159

Sponsored Links