Should we move to Kununurra?

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 09, 2015 at 21:59
ThreadID: 130250 Views:4427 Replies:12 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone!

New to exploreoz, this is my first thread! My partner and myself may have an opportunity to move from Narrogin to Kununurra. I've been doing some research online and I see there have been a few questions here in the past but nothing recent. So I'm hoping someone can give me some more recent info on living up there and whether we should really think about making the move up if he gets this new job.
It's a government job pays between $60-$70 pa not sure about subsidiaries yet or if a house is provided. I don't have anything lined up but im a hard worker and can put my hand to anything so pretty flexible. We have a dog. So just the three of us and we're currently renting so we don't have alot of house stuff to move just a bed, kitchen appliances and fishing/camping gear. We have a car and bike but would definitely plan on getting a ute if one is not provided with his job. The fact we're renting and not tied down is one of the main reasons we would like to move up there maybe for a few years and we both have a passion for fishing/adventure. I also have an obsession with thunderstorms which im sure I would get alot of up there!!! We would hope to make some good friends and become part of the community, are the locals friendly to new comers? I know its just starting to get hot and humid now but I would try my hardest to get through it for the amazing lifestyle you seem to be able to have in the Kimberly's.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to have a read.

Cheers,
Ciara

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Sep 09, 2015 at 22:59

Wednesday, Sep 09, 2015 at 22:59
Ciara

Absolutely! - give it a go you won't regret it.

You come across as being a younger person - go and have an adventure. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work out - come back!

Be prepared to get involved in the community and also to make your own fun. People are as friendly and open as you are to them. It may take time for them to warm, but it will happen - especially if you are prepared to put an effort in

If it is a State Government job, you should be eligible for a Government house. Also possible if it is a local government job.

I took the punt when I was 21 years old. Lived in Derby, Paraburdoo, Karratha and Kununurra. Had an absolute ball. Met my wife and the friends I made up there are the friends I still have. Good friends who are still very important in my life (best man, Maid of honour, godparents to my children etc etc) they have out lasted all of the others.

Give it a go - you only have something to gain.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 590197

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 00:55

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 00:55
Go for it Ciara. You will be based in one of the best regions of the world for sightseeing. The locals are certainly friendly, and during the tourist season so many people working there are transient, so part time locals, and seem well accepted.

We stayed in Kununurra for a few weeks when touring the Kimberley due to maintenance. The business people were all good to deal with, and when we had to return from our visit to the Keep River National Park instead of moving on, we stopped to put out rubbish in a bin when we reached town. The next few cars passing stopped to see why we were back in town. We felt like locals after only five weeks.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590200

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 04:24

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 04:24
I have a friend who lives in Kununurra and we have visited many times. Great area, great people and plenty to learn about and explore. A lifetime would not be enough.

Cheers,
Peter
Oka 196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 590201

Reply By: Ozi M - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:06

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:06
The top end is full of young people, 2 of my kids have lived up there at Darwin and Katherine and they both had a ball.

I would definitely go if you have employment to support you, your partner will find it easy to get a job in the tourist season but may struggle in the wet.

But I would still go :)
AnswerID: 590207

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:19

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:19
With no mortgage and kids to hold you back, I'd definitely go up there, Clara.

Don't know what it is like now, but Kununurra was our town when I worked on stations in the area, in late'60's-early '70's. Only one pub, one supermarket/butcher, and a few other shops back then. Have heard it's much bigger now.

Gets pretty "warm" in summer, but winters are just perfect. The scenery is like nothing I've seen before, and at times there is a haze that gives the hills this special pastel tone..........sigh! Just magic.

Just watch where you, and the dog, swim. :-)

Let's us all know how you get on later?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590208

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:55

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 12:55
This was once our dream!
Illness intervened however.

As said, just be very aware of crocs! as already said, it's so important, even if you get close to the water.
Some locals take it very lightly but your dog could go to drink from the river or creek & be taken. Even if there are no signs.
You probably know all this but I'd hate to see you loose your precious pet.
Ask your Vet re parasite control for the dog too.
Hope it works out for you.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 858221

Reply By: Ciara T - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:55

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:55
Wow, thank you all for such positive replies. I am feeling alot more excited about the idea, the more I look into the area the more I want to give it a try. Your right we have no ties apart from a car loan which we would take with us anyway and I would hate to regret it down the line.
So, hopefully we will hear about this job in the next two days and ill keep ye posted about our decision.

Cheers to everyone that got back.

Ciara
AnswerID: 590210

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 15:44

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 15:44
Absolutley go for it. Just remember the place gets bloody hot and high humidity. More expensive to live as well and not everything will be available off the shelf. Minor details........ I did something similar 20+ years ago moving suddenly to Darwin then Gove. Best adventure of my life. Many would love to have the opportunity to go.

Keep in touch on the forum and let people know of the pros and cons of your adventure.

All the best.....now get packing...
AnswerID: 590215

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 19:34

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 19:34
Struggling to find a reason why you wouldn't...

The Kimberley is a magic place to live. Do it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590227

Reply By: Rob J8 - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 20:39

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 20:39
Go for it, if I was Forty years younger I would be up there .
Nice town, all the facilities, and great weather most of the year.
Good job , you can't go wrong

Rob J
AnswerID: 590230

Reply By: Derek Jones - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 22:50

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 22:50
Got friends living and working there at the moment.

Some security issues and have to lock the house up even when they are home. Cannot leave back door open and wives feel a little vulnerable at night when they are home alone.

The people I speak about are very robust and adaptable individuals.
AnswerID: 590235

Reply By: Mick T3 - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 17:06

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 17:06
The Sutherlands from Katanning moved from there to Broome nearly twenty years ago. They own the Broome Caravan Park. Personally, I found climate at Kununurra is harsher than Broome and some little bugs at Kununurra made me quite sick there and you'll always be in line for racial abuse.
AnswerID: 590313

Reply By: Ciara T - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:03

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:03
Many thanks to everyone for replying. My partner just found out that he didn't get the job in Kununurra so looks like we'll be staying down south for awhile longer. We're both really disappointed but I think this has made us see how much we actually want to try move up there so going to keep an eye out for jobs.

When we do make it up there ill be sure to let you guys know :-)

Happy traveling!

Ciara
AnswerID: 590381

Sponsored Links