Great Central Road

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 17:16
ThreadID: 130253 Views:2545 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks, planning a trip to Alice Springs in June 2016. There will be about 5-6 vehicles and some will betowing caravans.
What would the condition of the road be like at that time of year?
Thank you in anticipation for your comments. Nugget
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 17:28

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 17:28
Nugget, from where are you leaving? Presume WA some where, but I maybe wrong.........
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590222

Follow Up By: the nugget - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 17:58

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 17:58
Thanks John for your response. OOoops!!, Yes, we are leaving from Perth - Nugget
FollowupID: 858228

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 18:43

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 18:43
Nugget, should have also asked about the vans, but even if they are not offroad vans, driving to the conditions and lowering tyre pressures, you should be fine, but then again it may be cut up very badly and the graders may be out in force, it may also have rained heavily just before you leave or while you are on the road......... Too many variables to say actually....... an old saying, "suck it and see"....... enjoy your travels.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590224

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 18:47

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 18:47
Nugget the WA side gets graded on a regular basis so it could be hit and miss (but generally good to not bad). When I travelled on it a couple of years ago heading East as far as Warakurna it was pretty bad in places but a week later coming back to Perth it was like a race track. I've never crossed the boarder but I've read regularly that the NT side can be pretty bad.

Ask the question again next year as a good winter rain could cause havoc. Also call the roadhouses as they will be able to give conditions at that moment.

Cheers & enjoy the drive.

Dunc.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590225

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 20:15

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 20:15
Nugget, you should only check the road condition about a week before you leave, because everything can change overnight with one heavy rain.
In June, the chances are lessened of heavy rains occurring, but it's still not unknown.

You can find out the latest road conditions by calling or emailing the Nangtjatarra Shire.
They will be able to advise where the graders are working and anything to watch out for.
The graders work in a group of 3 or 4 together to speed up maintenance and to leave less of the road half-finished at any one time.

The GCR surface varies substantially according to the material it has been sheeted with. Some of the material used has a tendency to rut when dry and ungraded for a while, this can cause problems with low-clearance vehicles. Overall, the road poses no problem to any vehicle in reasonable condition, with adequate ground clearance, (185mm) and driven at sensible speed.

Ngaanyatjarraku Shire

AnswerID: 590229

Follow Up By: the nugget - Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 19:38

Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 19:38
Thanks for your comments Ron. I will certainly check prior to departure. My reason for asking now is to get a picture of what the road can be like according to conditions. As I am planning the trip now I can say to the group depending conditions the road could be good or bad. Bit like the Gibb River road, I have struck it at good times and I have seen it in a bad state of repair. I have taken down the name of the shire that you have provided which I will check with on the eve of our departure.
Also thanks to all others for their comments. Much appreciated. Nugget
FollowupID: 858252

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 23:47

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 23:47
While conditions do vary Nugget, there will always be good and bad patches. Because of the distances and costs of recovery, I consider is risky taking caravans other than dedicated off road models.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 590236

Follow Up By: the nugget - Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 19:43

Friday, Sep 11, 2015 at 19:43
Thanks Motherhen, 2 vans and the trailers are offroad. Nugget.
FollowupID: 858254

Reply By: Brett T7 - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 22:07

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 22:07
G'day Nugget,

We have been Living on the Great Central Rd for a few years now at Docker River.

Drop me an email at brett@yourtripright.com

We can organize a time for a phone call and I can answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Road conditions really depend on your direction of travel and road maintenance schedules.

How the van's and cars do it will depend on what your driving, what accessories you have and how hard you are traveling.

How much fun you have well fun is guaranteed but a little knowledge and tips can help you set up a killer trip.
AnswerID: 590330

Follow Up By: the nugget - Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 14:47

Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 14:47
Thanks Brett, I have cut and pasted your response into my trip preparation notes with a view to contact you prior to our departure.
Regards, Nugget
FollowupID: 858362

Sponsored Links