Vast satellite free TV service

Just wondering why the owner of a set top box and card has to re-register every six months and also reboot after two weeks . They have a record of whos got the system when its registered the first time and if its sold has to be registered in the new owners name. Seems a lot of wasted time for a free system , the service that is. We are lucky i suppose only a short drive with the box and card back to the shop who will reboot or register but a pain having to do it most likely before every caravan trip. More of a nuicance if you have to set up the dish etc every time.
cheers Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 17:02

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 17:02
It might be free ......but Big Brother is always watching over you.
Its just their way of checking who's using the system when & where
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 590312

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 18:44

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 18:44
it's easy to do on-line and when we have had a problem (sent them an email) they are very quick to respond and fix it.
AnswerID: 590318

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 19:03

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 19:03
I only phoned them and they did it while I was on line.

PeterH
AnswerID: 590320

Reply By: Rob J8 - Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 23:59

Sunday, Sep 13, 2015 at 23:59
Hello Graeme,
I put my dish up for the first time in about 3 months this weekend and it told me my card was not registered even though I registered in July for 6 months. after a long talk with the Vast lady, I rang Access in Osborne Park where I bought the box. They couldn't help even though they tried.
The problem was, the chip wasn't reading. after some good old fashioned spit and an hour or so I received a picture.
I'm saying all this because it wasn't Vast's fault, the chip needed cleaning.
Seems the best way is to set the dish up at home and leave the box on stand by.
we have to remember that these rules are made by people who live in big places where tv is easy to receive.
I was told when I bought the new box, to reset each time I set up the dish and that should be adequate. If you reset each time that should work until you need to use the spit. It really is a pain registering every 6 months.
Hope this helps.
Rob J
AnswerID: 590334

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 09:12

Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 09:12
Hi Rob. I know how it works was just wondering why , not only do you have re-register every 6 months, but after two weeks of no use the units go to sleep and after csetting up and connecting you may get a signal within 8 hours, if not you have to go the process again, as i said easy for me , the shop is just around the corner with the dish and TV always set up, just a matter of taking the reciever and card and bingo. Its impractical for me to leave mine set up as its in the van as it would be for thousands of others. If you forget and go somewhere without a phone signal, the whole idea of having the system, you will not be able to use it.
cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 858345

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:58

Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:58
Graeme

I have two boxes and dont have any renewal of registration. I think the difference is that mine are registered (and located) in a rural area, where as you have them regitered at a city location.

The difference is i believe to do with licnece conditions of the Tv stations, i.e WIN and GWN are only allowed to broadcast to certain areas that do not include Perth.

The VAST system allows registration for city address and assumes that you are a bonafide traveller. So therefore you need to reregister.

It is a bit stupid in my view especially as the shows on WIN and GWN are the same as 7 & 9 on therefore there is no competition between the city and country channels.

Alan
AnswerID: 590347

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:18

Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:18
Have to agree with Graeme....it is b***dy stupid and just a nonsense that we have to re register every 6 months...........just another example of bureaucrats imbeciles creating needless work

For heavens sake it is a free to air TV and no difference to the channels whether we receive it via terrestrial or satellite.....I am not really in the belief of the theory of 'big brother" watching our movements but in the case they appear to do so and for what reason?

At home the "decision makers" in this digital spectrum insist we are in a digital area and that our quality of signal is perfectly ok and we are not allowed or qualify to have satellite TV....the reality is that the signal is cr*p most times as soon as the weather is even slightly unsettled it becomes all pixelated and un watchable

So we take the set top box out of the 'van and use it so we can watch TV at home......when we travel it goes back into the 'van...at least it also stays working as well.

Technically illegal or against the rules...but those rules are made by idiots and all the registration process does is give some bureaucrats a job .....pity the Gov didn't cut costs such as these instead of cuts in other areas that actually need funds...be interested to see what the costs actually are to service this ridiculous situation

Just my thoughts

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590348

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 22:15

Monday, Sep 14, 2015 at 22:15
Hi Bungarra,
Could not agree more, plus the obvious way to keep it working is to keep it plugged in and working, like you are doing. Seems a lot of readers and post makers are not aware that the units go to sleep after two weeks of inactivity.
Cheers Graeme
FollowupID: 858382

Reply By: Gary T7 - Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 21:26

Tuesday, Sep 15, 2015 at 21:26
Agree should not have to re-register every 6 months but can understand the box not working after missing update's through being off for a while. I leave mine off between going away for up to 6 months. Then when ready to go away just set up dish and connect box and TV. Has to be working receiving channel 800. Then go to mysattv web sitehttp://www.mysattv.com.au/ everything you want is here on this site and do a rehit (enter card no and rehit button ) which updates the box. and it comes on again. From this site you can also do Travellers Registration Renewal Just put name and card number in and press Renew Certificate. Very easy to do every 6months.The rehit can be done any time your decoder has missed updates and is not receiving channels while travelling.(so you don't have to wait for hours to update to work) works straight away with rehit.

Hope this helps link below

mysattv

Cheers Gary
AnswerID: 590394

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Sep 19, 2015 at 21:52

Saturday, Sep 19, 2015 at 21:52
Its all about controll, intelectual property and money...... oh and its only free to air in name only.

The networks don't want people in general to have the ability to recieve programes in places where they don't want.

Like .... many sporting events have TV blackouts in the local areas so as not to reduce the appeal of attending the event live.
And the networks also want to controll where advertsing is seen...... advertising also often contractually linked to area specific programming

They don't want the local pub showing the local game live in a blackout area using a VAST box... and that sort of stuff.

As for being "free to air" ...... yeeh that it may be, but if you want to recieve it you have little choice of the reciever you use ...... you pay over the odds for that reciever AND you specifically pay for the privilage of viewing VAST.

The whole thing is petty and is not structured in the viewers interest ....... especially a nomadic viewers interest.

It gets worse ....... in the past small communities set up self help transmitters to bring "free to air television into their communities ......... Under the VAST polocy many of those communities where refused licences to install self funded digital self help transmitters with the specific intention of not impacting on the revenue stream from vast boxes in those areas.

Vast is not "free to air" in the true sence of the word ...... it is a user pays remote area television service ....... once you understand that many things make more sence.

With improvements in wireless broadband speed and coverage, VAST may well be irrelivent to many people as streaming TV becomes more vialble.

cheers
AnswerID: 590491

Sponsored Links