Youngest CSR woman driver? Photos of CSR cyclists in 2015?

I recently completed a 100% assisted bicycle crossing from north (Billiluna) to south (Wiluna) of the Canning Stock Route. There were 25 cycling days from Billiluna to the North Road sign, and an extra half day to get to Wiluna - we took an extra two days to fix a small suspension issue we had just south of Kunawarritji (Dobinsons high lift left strut pulled through its mounting tabs, but it was an easy fix at the Kunawarritji Community's workshop and I cycled back to the car with a bracket I made from CSR windmill angle iron that the community had laying around). My daughter drove a Suzuki XL-7 (2003 model, 2.7L V6, LWB) and I cycled a fat-bike with 4" tyres.

1. It's possible my daughter is the youngest (24 years) woman to single handedley drive the CSR in a 4x4. And at the moment I believe I'm the oldest (at 62 years) cyclist to cycle the CSR. I'm interested in anyone's thought on my daughter being the youngest woman CSR driver?

2. We came across German cyclist Thomas Kreis when he was just one day from reaching Billiluna (about 60km). We had just started on the CSR and, with a lot of other things on our minds, both my daughter and I forgot to take a photo of Thomas. Also, we talked to a couple of people who had seen/talked with other cyclists including Australians "Marty and Mike" travelling together from the south, and also Canadian Laurence Perry cycling from the south. I'd be very appreciative of any photos of all these cyclists (even ones of me and my daughter) on the CSR. My email address is peter.gargano@gmail.com, or perhaps simply post them to ExploreOz.

To those people whom we met on the CSR (over the period 11 August to 07 Sept 2015) thanks for you kind expressions of support, and please use the above email if you'd like more information about my cycle, or my daughter's drive.

And lastly,

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rodney J2 - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 15:34

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 15:34
Congratulations and a big well done from the Jeffs Family.
AnswerID: 590450

Follow Up By: techedge - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 15:51

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 15:51
Rodney, thanks - I didn't expect someone I actually knew to be reading about me on-line - send me an email -> peter.gargano@gmail.com

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858452

Reply By: Member - Neil L1 - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 22:07

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 22:07
Congratulations. What a great effort for you both. You did it as quickly as I did by car a couple of years ago. How did you manage fuel for the Suzuki with a pretty small tank?
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 590458

Follow Up By: techedge - Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 23:46

Thursday, Sep 17, 2015 at 23:46
This image, taken at Kunawarritji on Saturday 24 August, shows the two stainless steel marine fuel tanks we robustly bolted to the Suzuki's body - the XL-7 is the LWB version of the standard 4-door Grand Vitara. The larger tank, in the centre, is 1.8m long meaning it won't fit (easily) into a standard Vitara - the shorter tank is on the driver's side and allows the seat behind the driver to remain although I removed it for this trip. Total extra capacity was about 165 + 55 = 210L plus the standard tanks 65L gives a total capacity of ~275L (enough for Port Augusta to Kalgoorlie without refueling and travelling at 105-110km/h with the bike on the roof). I bought these tanks second hand on eBay for less than a dollar per Litre capacity and they are plumbed into the main tank via low capacity lift pumps (also from eBay) that we can activate with a couple of switches. Only thing missing is a fuel gauge for each tank.

In 2013 I drove the CSR with a 4-door Vitara and had eight 20L metal jerry cans rigidly mounted in the back along with two 20L plastic water containers - this took up a lot of space and wasn't the easiest arrangement to use (it had nuts we had to loosen to get to the cans), so I made an extra effort to do it right this time.

In 2013, with my wife, we did it in 15 days although I wanted to spend more time around the South Esk Tablelands. I could spend a month on the CSR and still have a long list of things to see. I love it out there!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858472

Reply By: Member - Neil L1 - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 00:21

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 00:21
That's an impressive fuel load for a small car, but they are great vehicles. I agree with your sentiments about the time taken. We could have spent a week exploring Diebel Hills but it was very wet (2013 also) and time was not on our side, but next time it will be longer.
AnswerID: 590463

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 17:06

Friday, Sep 18, 2015 at 17:06
I'm a very passionate cyclist and I love 4WD exploring in the deserts so I can fully appreciate the effort you've just made. (Would not attempt this myself however). Huge kudos to you and how lovely to share this journey together. The smiles say it all. Well done.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 590474

Follow Up By: techedge - Saturday, Sep 19, 2015 at 10:41

Saturday, Sep 19, 2015 at 10:41
Dee got stuck in some mud, and required my help, just north of Lake Disappointment - she didn't stop smiling even then! She'd paused for a photo of a very salty pool of water just off the track, and literally put her foot in it! Luckily I was just a couple of minutes behind her on the bicycle...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 858495

Sponsored Links