Waeco thumper etc

Submitted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 17:57
ThreadID: 13032 Views:4009 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all, has anyone gone down the path of a Waeco thumper or similar to run a fridge etc instead of duel batts. I was looking at the Fridgemate one but don't know if they'd be any good. Super cheap put one out on special for $40!!! Even if it's crap it might be handy just to run lights or something...anyone used one of these??
Any thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 18:29

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 18:29
Ferret,

Have a look at their Amp/Hour rating. The Super Cheap job is designed as an emergency start thing. It's battery is only around 20 A/H and it is not a deep cycle. To aviod stuffing it you don't want to run it down below 50% which gives you 10 useable amps. The latest Engels draw 2.7 amps and assuming it is only running half the time it means the little battery pack would be good for about 7 hours, less in hot weather. Great for picnics but hardly for camping.

As for the Weeco and Engel packs thye are around $500 - $600 for a 48 A/H pack which is not all that flash when you can get a 100 A/H AGM fully sealed battery, smart solenoid wired to the back of your vehicle and the battery installed in a tied down box with a couple of sockets for under $600.

I've been looking into this and researching it for weeks. It is the best alternative I can find. The advantage of an AGM over a conventional deep cycle is that a very low AGM will fully charge from your alternator in 2-3 hours whereas a normal DC will only absorb about 5 A/H. Don't know how fast the Engel/Waeco pack will charge, but if you are running it from a cig socket their max output is 10 A/H.

Jim.
AnswerID: 59445

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 19:47

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 19:47
Yeah....... Jimbo pretty miuch sums it up to a tee.

I used to run a Waeco ( Blue Apple ) Outback to run my fridge, but have since gone down the dual battery road, much better.

I only use my Outback coupled with a 20 watt Solar Panel to run my CPAP each night.

Go for the Deep Cycle 100 amp job, install some weapon cable, solenoid & relay / isolator and you won't regret it.

I run 2 vehicles, so I have had Anderson Plugs installed in the cabins of both, and simply load my battery along with my fridge.........simple
AnswerID: 59459

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:33

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:33
I wonder if those water/fuel carriers will fit a 100 series
must keepan eye out for a black 'thing' with a roof rack and pvc pipe and some Good Looking Carriers

also need er would appreciate an enclosed cage for 100series ..one that can be lifted out with forklift if needed so i can get all tools out quick and go camping even quicker
will keep an eye open for you around town Ian
FollowupID: 321123

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike A (WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 19:52

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 19:52
Benefit of a battery pack like Waeco's is that you are not tied to the vehicle. If you want to take the fridge out for an extended picnic away from the car, then you can take the battery with you. Likewise for some camping spots that don't let the vehicles close enough to the tents. If its just for use in the car, then yes, there are cheaper alternatives.
AnswerID: 59462

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:28

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:28
Of course you can buy some wire (cheap commodity) and extend your power supply. Bloody sight (site?) better value than a brand name battery pack.

Ther are usually better ways than those sold to you by a camping or off road "expert". A little bit of ingenuity goes a long way.

Jim.
FollowupID: 321121

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 10:31

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 10:31
we recently got a Monsoon on special for the same price as an outback. Show special. we got one of these as it is to be used with several vehicals and in the boat. it has twin 24 amp/h batteries and switches both on to start a vehicle. when using with a light etc you can only flatten one battery and the other is still available for starting.
AnswerID: 59523

Reply By: Paul1 - Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 14:19

Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 14:19
I know this thread has almost run its course, but I have been following it and doing some reading. I'd like to throw up my thoughts to get some feedback.

I am planning an extended trip where we will be stopping for one or two nights at a time, on average, and maybe 5 nights at the most. I am planning on buying a Waeco 40 lt fridge, replace the vehicle battery with a 100AH AGM battery and buy a Waeco Thumper (or similar) for an emergency starter.

The AGM battery will recharge faster and provide more amps for the fridge while camping. The Thumper will also give the short term flexibility to remove the fridge from the car.

This will be my first fridge and I am looking for flexibility. Some camp sites don't permit vehicles into the camp area. When we go to these places I'll remove the AGM bat from the car and run the car on the standard car battery.

Are AGM batteries recomended for regular vehicle starting?

Ferret, I know I do not address your original question, but it is on the same topic.

All comments greatly appreciated
Thanks
Paul.
AnswerID: 59688

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 09:49

Sunday, May 23, 2004 at 09:49
Have a look at Post 12990. I know the Optimas can start but are very expensive. Talk to the bloke at Federal Batteries, 1300 133 980, he is a bloody expert.
AnswerID: 59766

Sponsored Links